Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Nice, I'll be around to pick that up in June... :P

Hi Johan, how funny I thought you could read English, maybe not so good methinks, I said I thought you would be happy to see this, and you read it as it's here for you to pick up in June, weird that . . . . . . . :lol::lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 01 2019.

General Apathy

Really pleased to see a longterm friend back in the fold and reading the forum again :lol: . We have swopped a few images off-forum and here is one he sent this morning when we did a documentary for the American history channel back in 1996, Evans front middle and myself far left.

.post-344-0-76619900-1556721963_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

A French friend lives in Berchtesgaden overlooking the area of Obersalzberg the site of Hitlers, Goring's and Borman's houses and the SS guard barracks, so when I found this map today I bought it for him as a gift. I think the map was given out at the end of the war to US troops visiting the location, it has been written on at the bottom in pencil the writer making mention that he took photographs whilst there, pity the photographs are no longer with the map.

.post-344-0-30119900-1556723595_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox to the auction . . . . . . .

an auction of items from my ' Shoebox ' happens in Caen, France 18/19 May, this is quite a rare piece featured in the auction a German manufactured Coca-Cola bottle dated 1937, the Coca-Cola logo is in the standard American format all other details on the bottle are in German script.

This is a bottle I found here in Normandy . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 02 2019.

.post-344-0-60480600-1556749741_thumb.jpeg

Really pleased to see a longterm friend back in the fold and reading the forum again :lol: . We have swopped a few images off-forum and here is one he sent this morning when we did a documentary for the American history channel back in 1996, Evans front middle and myself far left.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_184a.jpeg

Great picture, Ken. Nice thing is that it gives us the full colour/color option :).

Rene

A French friend lives in Berchtesgaden overlooking the area of Obersalzberg the site of Hitlers, Goring's and Borman's houses and the SS guard barracks, so when I found this map today I bought it for him as a gift. I think the map was given out at the end of the war to US troops visiting the location, it has been written on at the bottom in pencil the writer making mention that he took photographs whilst there, pity the photographs are no longer with the map.

.attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Great gesture.

As you know I live in Venlo so.......if you ever find a ww2 map from Venlo you know where to send it :D

Rene

From the Shoebox to the auction . . . . . . .

an auction of items from my ' Shoebox ' happens in Caen, France 18/19 May, this is quite a rare piece featured in the auction a German manufactured Coca-Cola bottle dated 1937, the Coca-Cola logo is in the standard American format all other details on the bottle are in German script.

This is a bottle I found here in Normandy . . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-05-01 at 17.28.20.jpeg

Hi Ken, I've got a similar coke bottle also dated 1937. Next to it is its successor dated 1940.

post-169612-0-52396000-1556814679_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Great gesture.

As you know I live in Venlo so.......if you ever find a ww2 map from Venlo you know where to send it :D

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks its always good to do what you can for friends . . . . . . I will let you know if I ever find a Venlo map.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, I've got a similar coke bottle also dated 1937. Next to it is its successor dated 1940.

attachicon.gifSAM_6701a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, how funny we both had 37 dated Coke bottles and 40 dated Fanta bottles, so my 37 one is going in the auction and I am keeping my 1939 dated German Coke bottle. You will see that the 39 bottle has two lines of script below the Coca-Cola script, and both our 37 dated one's only one line of script. My 1939 bottle is a ground find.

Yesterday I was made aware of another German Cola bottle that replaced the American version when America discontinued supplying Cola syrup after December 1941. The replacement Cola was called Afri-Cola, the bottle is a dumpy design with a palm tree on one side top to bottom and possibly supplied to German forces in North Africa, hence the name Afri-Cola.

.post-344-0-09034000-1556819265_thumb.jpeg

Great picture, Ken. Nice thing is that it gives us the full colour/color option :).

Rene

Agree with you Rene, great picture. I sometimes forget that history wasn't in black & white.

Is that bomber hiding somewhere in the back of the shoebox?

General Apathy

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks, we tried hard to ensure everything in the photograph pre-dated January 1945.

General Apathy

Ste Mere Eglise gearing up for D-Day . . . . . . .

with just a month to go for this years 75th anniversary the towns supermarket has dressed it's front window with images from previous years.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 04 2019.

.post-344-0-95893600-1556975467_thumb.jpeg

Hi Ken, looks like Normandy is ready for the visitors! I have spent the day doing final checks to the Jeep, and getting excited. I do hope I get to see you somewhere amongst the many thousands there!

It is going to be a fantastic tribute to all that happened in Normandy all those years ago... Glad to be part of it...and to pay my respects...

Cheers Graham

General Apathy

Hi Ken, looks like Normandy is ready for the visitors! I have spent the day doing final checks to the Jeep, and getting excited. I do hope I get to see you somewhere amongst the many thousands there!

It is going to be a fantastic tribute to all that happened in Normandy all those years ago... Glad to be part of it...and to pay my respects...

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham, well I hope we do get to meet up but with the thousands that will be here plus the road closures due to dignitaries visiting the area then it will be a tough call if we make it, but lets give it a try. I will be in Ste Marie du Mont Saturday 8th as there will be a bourse militaire in town that day if you can make it or we can make other arrangements..

General Apathy

Normandy D-Day preparations 2019 . . . . . . .

a couple of days ago I spotted this banner in Ste Com du Mont dedicated to 101st pathfinder Frank Lillyman, he is credited with being the first paratrooper into Normandy during the invasion in 1944. Lillyman died of a heart attack in 1971 at the age of fifty-five.

.post-344-0-35110400-1557007679.jpeg

General Apathy

Agree with you Rene, great picture. I sometimes forget that history wasn't in black & white.

Is that bomber hiding somewhere in the back of the shoebox?

Hi Mikie, I think you and I would be happy to find that B-17 somewhere in the shoebox . . . . .

Yikes! Only a month to go for the D-Day anniversary. That means we are almost half way to Christmas already!

Wish I was able to visit Normandy, but not in the books in the foreseeable future. Well actually it IS in the book. I usually celebrate June 6 by reading The Longest Day.I

Thanks for giving us a peak of the preparations there!

Mikie

Hi all, today we celebrate Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag) in the Netherlands. May 5th is the official day for us to celebrate the end of World War 2. There are several festivities across the country and it's a good reason to fly the Dutch flag. :)

post-169612-0-40516000-1557057604_thumb.jpg

In contrast yesterday was Remembrance Day (Dodenherdenking) where we remember all the Dutch people that lost their lives during WW2 and in following conflicts. Usually the flag is at half mast and there are several official activities where our dignitaries lay wreaths. Venlo is no exception.

post-169612-0-49721800-1557057739_thumb.jpg

Rene

And especially for Ken...…

post-169612-0-92010000-1557057973_thumb.jpg

Yes, there is a spot in Venlo where the Union Jack is flown. It flies above a little shop that sells all kind of English foodstuffs. Every saturday you can get fresh scones there (and lemon curd or jam and clotted cream if so desired). ^_^ Makes me happy.

Rene

Johan Willaert

Hi Mikie, I think you and I would be happy to find that B-17 somewhere in the shoebox . . . . .

Just flew it out of my shoebox...

post-92-0-62378300-1557078764.jpg

Johan Willaert

Is that you, Johan? Great picture one way or the other.

Rene

Yep, aboard B17 Sally B back in 1991...

Here's another one... Counting them all coming back....

post-92-0-40188500-1557083143_thumb.jpg

Hi all, today we celebrate Liberation Day (Bevrijdingsdag) in the Netherlands. May 5th is the official day for us to celebrate the end of World War 2. There are several festivities across the country and it's a good reason to fly the Dutch flag. :)

attachicon.gifSAM_6731a.jpg

In contrast yesterday was Remembrance Day (Dodenherdenking) where we remember all the Dutch people that lost their lives during WW2 and in following conflicts. Usually the flag is at half mast and there are several official activities where our dignitaries lay wreaths. Venlo is no exception.

attachicon.gifSAM_6714a.jpg

Rene

Sympathy for all who lost their lives in Holland. Congrats on the Liberation Day celebrations. Here May 5 is called Cinco De Mayo and is supposedly a celebration of a Mexican victory over the French in 1862. It's kind of funny that here in the US, this so-called Mexican holiday is observed with drinking, parades, drinking, tacos, and more drinking. But all Mexicans I know who actually came from Mexico say that they never heard of it. Any excuse for a party here! Not much of a drinker, but I'm all in for tacos!

post-2687-0-23942600-1557157476_thumb.jpg

Enjoy all, no matter what you are celebrating!

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi everyone, apologies for being AWOL, things are hotting up here at a fast rate, I shortly have my auction and then it's into full swing for the D-Day celebrations . . . . . . .

Thanks everyone who has posted in the last few days, I will try to respond soon as possible. In the meantime heres a newspaper article a friend sent me, apologies he didn't flatten out the newspaper for the photograph.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 09 2019.

.post-344-0-21571100-1557420107.jpeg