Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Some interesting and very nice finds

Hi Ron, also some sad finds, a bunch of deteriorating windscreens, a mixture of Willys and Hotchkiss ones, the first one bears a French army marking most likely when used post war by the French army . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2019.

.post-344-0-70970900-1556012107_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Great stuff from the Normandy country side Ken.

Are those barrels German?

Hi Peter, thanks appreciate your interest, barrels are actually French occupation made for the German army . . . . . .

Last one in the yard . . . . . . . . not for sale.

Peter bought GMC trucks from this sales-yard thirty years ago when there was a field full of them recently released from the French army, this is the last one in the yard and one he won't part with . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 22 2019.

.attachicon.gifIMG_3333.JPG

Hi Ken, I understand the 'not parting' bit but I find it sad to see that it has become some kind of a 'shelf' for other stuff.

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, I understand the 'not parting' bit but I find it sad to see that it has become some kind of a 'shelf' for other stuff.

Rene

Hi Rene, this is sad on several levels, as you say its a dumping ground for other stuff, its sad also that the guy is 86 and struggles to walk yet offers the comment that one day he is going to rebuild this one . . . . . . . . . . also slowly we all head in this direction .

This is another farm that I know to, several vehicles sit in this barn, the most prominent a rare US Army M26 Pacific tank transporter, awaiting that ' one day I am going to restore this '

.post-344-0-84300500-1556017512.jpeg

General Apathy

Hello Mr Landing: So you are still looking and collecting then,amazing to see that there's still stuff out there,very nice..517th

Hahahaha Evans, yes theres still stuff to be found, another barn find which would look great in your collection a pair of C-47 wheels and tyres ( tires ) . . . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-98847100-1556018047.jpeg

General Apathy

Rene

well another photo to induce more tears and crying for Jeep owners, a pile of rusting Jeep front wings . . . . . . . :(

.post-344-0-28355500-1556018820_thumb.jpeg

Hi Rene, this is sad on several levels, as you say its a dumping ground for other stuff, its sad also that the guy is 86 and struggles to walk yet offers the comment that one day he is going to rebuild this one . . . . . . . . . . also slowly we all head in this direction .

This is another farm that I know to, several vehicles sit in this barn, the most prominent a rare US Army M26 Pacific tank transporter, awaiting that ' one day I am going to restore this '

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1759.jpeg

Hi Ken, it's sad indeed but magine what it could look like...…..

post-169612-0-56826100-1556031637_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-93607500-1556031999.jpg

Rene

Hi Ron, also some sad finds, a bunch of deteriorating windscreens, a mixture of Willys and Hotchkiss ones, the first one bears a French army marking most likely when used post war by the French army . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifIMG_3329.JPG

Sad indeed to see these in that condition. Perhaps with some discreet touch up and some creative talent, these could be made into some kind of wall art. Probably go for a few bucks and would prevent them from getting turned into scrap. I love to see repurposed things like these where they will at least live on in some form and be appreciated. Wouldn't mind hanging one up myself, even though that creative thing is not something I can boast of.

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1759.jpeg

Sad to see those things going to rust. But maybe the thought of being around to rebuild them one day helped him get to be 86 in the first place. A guy has to have a goal in life.

Mikie

Enjoying the chase now rather than the ownership . . . . . . . . bought three of these unissued US blankets along with the Jeep stuff I have been buying.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 22 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1741.jpeg

Nice collection of blankets! I'm all punned out so will NOT make a comment such as you have that topic covered. Nope, won't say it.

This Marshall Fields blanket for some reason makes me want a chicken pot pie for lunch today.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Ken, it's sad indeed but magine what it could look like...…..

attachicon.gifDSC_1813a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1811a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the photo of a restored one, not really a size that you could store it in the garage at the side of your house.

General Apathy

Sad indeed to see these in that condition. Perhaps with some discreet touch up and some creative talent, these could be made into some kind of wall art. Probably go for a few bucks and would prevent them from getting turned into scrap. I love to see repurposed things like these where they will at least live on in some form and be appreciated. Wouldn't mind hanging one up myself, even though that creative thing is not something I can boast of.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, the Jeep grill that I picked up at the weekend has a bent and mangled corner, but presently I only wanted it for a wall hanger in the BBQ shack . . . . . . it would still be available for use in the future if the need arose. I am also hoping to get a GMC grill as well to wall hang.

General Apathy

Nice collection of blankets! I'm all punned out so will NOT make a comment such as you have that topic covered. Nope, won't say it.

This Marshall Fields blanket for some reason makes me want a chicken pot pie for lunch today.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for the comment on the blankets, yes they are so nice and the labels pristine, so nice in fact that I thought I would give the labels blanket coverage and show all three labels . . . . . . . . :P

Mikie

Just in case you were not aware, here is the story of the Marshall Fields Chicken Pot Pie. I never had one from there myself, but enjoy a good pot pie once in a while.

https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2018/12/marshall-fields-mrs-hering-original-chicken-pot-pie-recipe.html

Better double check that blanket for gravy stains.

Isn't history wonderful?

Enjoy!

Mikie

General Apathy

Just in case you were not aware, here is the story of the Marshall Fields Chicken Pot Pie. I never had one from there myself, but enjoy a good pot pie once in a while.

https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2018/12/marshall-fields-mrs-hering-original-chicken-pot-pie-recipe.html

Better double check that blanket for gravy stains.

Isn't history wonderful?

Enjoy!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for the history lesson, at least it wasn't one of your pie in the sky stories . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2019.

General Apathy

A cool junkyard

Hi Peter, thanks, back in the day it was a super-cool military vehicle sales yard before it became a junkyard.

.post-344-0-25636900-1556100576_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . Utah beach.

The red roof house a recognisable feature of Utah beach . . . . . . . . 1944 - 2019.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2019.

.post-344-0-56518600-1556192917.jpg

.post-344-0-27007000-1556192970.jpg

Hi Mikie, the Jeep grill that I picked up at the weekend has a bent and mangled corner, but presently I only wanted it for a wall hanger in the BBQ shack . . . . . . it would still be available for use in the future if the need arose. I am also hoping to get a GMC grill as well to wall hang.

Wall hangings in the BBQ shack? Cool! But maybe they could be turned into a BBQ itself. Then you could grill on the grill.

Looks like the rain has finally stopped here for the season. My BBQ shack is just a tarp I cover my little Webber with during the rainy season. I already caught the aroma of BBQ from a neighbor's last weekend, so time to unpack mine.

Mikie

General Apathy

Then and Nows, and piles of rusty metal. Love it all!

Mikie

Hi Mikie. . . . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-89533300-1556209800.jpeg

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie, the village dump today, rusty metal, sadly two post war French cans, and a totally mangled US gas can dated 1943.

.post-344-0-08894200-1556211460_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Field find . . . . . . .

a friend found an exploded Sherman barrel in a field, only the first ten inches was worth saving, it has a stamped number top right edge of the barrel and a second number on the side of the barrel.

.post-344-0-03808200-1556211725_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie, more rusty metal for you, a friend found this on-line and sent it to me . . . . . . postwar M-38

.post-344-0-77253900-1556212501.jpeg

Hi Mikie, more rusty metal for you, a friend found this on-line and sent it to me . . . . . . postwar M-38

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_178f.jpeg

I like that tree style camo! A bunch of jeeps disguised like that would have scared the heck out of Macbeth!