Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Nice bits and bobs you found.Thanks for posting :)

Hi Ron, thanks I'm happy with the finds . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 22 2019.

General Apathy

Would love to see the finail result……….

From now on I'm gonna refrain from adding puns because even I can see when it's getting too much……..hahaha

Rene

Hi Rene, yes I would like to see the results as well. ! !, unfortunately it's going to be much later in the year before I start on them, so much happening this year even without it being the 75th anniversary.

Here we are on the 75th anniversary when I can so clearly remember the 60th, when I joked with Jeeping friends that it was the 30th anniversary of the 30th anniversary organised by the British military vehicle group..

General Apathy

This weekend it was taken to a MV meet, its first outing after restoration... No troubles at all, it's ready for Normandy now...

Ford GPW270404- DoD 31st May 1945

Hi Johan, look forward to seeing yourself and the guys and the Jeeps in a few short weeks time . . . . .

General Apathy

Maybe a little late but dare I make a suggestion…….. ;)

attachicon.gifdresses.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, yep sadly you're too late but a nice suggestion anyhow, we do see a few women each year walking around in similar.

General Apathy

Nice bits and bobs you found.Thanks for posting :)

Hi Ron, this morning I had to nip over to my friends house to pick up the pieces I left in his trailer as I was unable to get everything into my car in one hit.

.post-344-0-29187700-1555939536_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Ron, this morning I had to nip over to my friends house to pick up the pieces I left in his trailer as I was unable to get everything into my car in one hit.

This is a pair of explosion damaged half-track bogies, B.F. Goodrich rubber, size marked, not dated that I can see, but marked half-track, a new garden ornament.

.post-344-0-19163400-1555939784_thumb.jpeg

I recall the original front bumper of the jeep had a wooden(oak) bar/board behind it as the bumper wasnt solid.

Wow! Something about jeeps I actually already knew! Amazing!

Mikie

This is a pair of explosion damaged half-track bogies, B.F. Goodrich rubber, size marked, not dated that I can see, but marked half-track, a new garden ornament.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_173b.jpeg

Fantastic garden ornament!

MIkie

Maybe a little late but dare I make a suggestion…….. ;)

attachicon.gifdresses.jpg

Rene

I know that some brides used white parachute silk for wedding dresses. I've never seen any photos of dresses made with camo silk, but can't imagine that it wasn't used.

Mikie

Would love to see the finail result……….

From now on I'm gonna refrain from adding puns because even I can see when it's getting too much……..hahaha

Rene

Good point, Rene. Sometimes we go over board hammering out those puns.

OK, got that out of my system. Should be good going punless for a few days anyway.

Mikie

Good point, Rene. Sometimes we go over board hammering out those puns.

OK, got that out of my system. Should be good going punless for a few days anyway.

Mikie

Yes, I think you guys nailed it. There may be too many puns!

Normandy Finds . . . . . . . .

I was really pleased to find a small sack of these old hand cut decorative nails for oak plank doors, I need to make a couple of rustic oak plank doors to replace a couple of modern doors on the bathroom and the shower room.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 21 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1735.jpeg

I also vote to looking forward to seeing the results of your handiwork.

With apologies, I'll take advantage of this to make my short diversion from militaria. Found this at a flea market 2 weekends ago.

post-2687-0-68121000-1555950409_thumb.jpg

The soldering iron was 2 bucks, and the blowtorch was 20. Both undated but are from the early 1920s. Part of my job is doing circuit board mods and rework, so I brought it to work and put on my soldering bench. My boss cracked up when I pulled it out when he asked me to change some 0603 size resistors on his prototype board.

I also vote to looking forward to seeing the results of your handiwork.

With apologies, I'll take advantage of this to make my short diversion from militaria. Found this at a flea market 2 weekends ago.

attachicon.gifSoldering iron.jpg

The soldering iron was 2 bucks, and the blowtorch was 20. Both undated but are from the early 1920s. Part of my job is doing circuit board mods and rework, so I brought it to work and put on my soldering bench. My boss cracked up when I pulled it out when he asked me to change some 0603 size resistors on his prototype board.

Hi Mikie, great blowtorch. Brings back memories of my Grandfather who was a trained electrician but was convinced he could repair anything he could get his hands on (and he often did although with the exception of some spectacular failures, hahaha). I have the torch he used all his life and that saw action in shed roof repairs at my parents house. I fired it up a couple of years ago and it works a treat but it is mostly the memories of my Grandfather that keep me from letting it go. (Wish I hadn't polished it, though)

post-169612-0-01232500-1555959543_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi Mikie, great blowtorch. Brings back memories of my Grandfather who was a trained electrician but was convinced he could repair anything he could get his hands on (and he often did although with the exception of some spectacular failures, hahaha). I have the torch he used all his life and that saw action in shed roof repairs at my parents house. I fired it up a couple of years ago and it works a treat but it is mostly the memories of my Grandfather that keep me from letting it go. (Wish I hadn't polished it, though)

attachicon.gifSAM_6648.jpg

Rene

Well, see! Something else we have in common besides history, stroopwaffels and cheese. My Granddad was a jack of all trades, a gifted carpenter, machinist (he worked making gun parts and artillery shell casings at Savage Arms during the war), electrician, and electronics tech (he also worked making electronics at Bendix during the war). He had his own radio repair business. Despite having his only child in the US Army, and himself working in critical war industries, the government confiscated all his radio gear soon after Pearl Harbor. I have a very old volt meter of his as my remembrance of Grandpa Dominic. Sadly, he passed away just as I was getting old enough to have appreciated all he could have taught me. I am glad to see that you keep the blow torch in his memory. I have not yet tried to fire mine up, though it all seems to be in working order. Explosions can be fun, but not when you are in the middle of one.

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_173a.jpeg

Hello Mr Landing: So you are still looking and collecting then,amazing to see that there's still stuff out there,very nice..517th

General Apathy

Hello Mr Landing: So you are still looking and collecting then,amazing to see that there's still stuff out there,very nice..517th

Hi Evans, good to hear from you again, so you're still lurking here hahhaaa, PM me your email address stuff to catch up on.

Enjoying the chase now rather than the ownership . . . . . . . . bought three of these unissued US blankets along with the Jeep stuff I have been buying.

.post-344-0-84009300-1555969436_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Enjoying the chase now rather than the ownership . . . . . . . . bought three of these unissued US blankets along with the recent Jeep stuff I have been buying.

.post-344-0-12643400-1555969664_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Enjoying the chase now rather than the ownership . . . . . . . . bought three of these unissued US blankets along with the Jeep stuff I have been buying.

.post-344-0-37523500-1555969709_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

post-344-0-05918400-1555969752_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

.post-344-0-93297700-1555970277_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Last one in the yard . . . . . . . . not for sale.

Peter bought GMC trucks from this sales-yard thirty years ago when there was a field full of them recently released from the French army, this is the last one in the yard and one he won't part with . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-61684900-1555970844_thumb.jpg

Last one in the yard . . . . . . . . not for sale.

Peter bought GMC trucks from this sales-yard thirty years ago when there was a field full of them recently released from the French army, this is the last one in the yard and one he won't part with . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifIMG_3333.JPG

Wow! That would make a fantastic garden ornament!

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_173b.jpeg

Some interesting and very nice finds

General Apathy

Wow! That would make a fantastic garden ornament!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sadly they don't last long if left outdoors, these old trucks and Jeeps need dry storage and air flow if possible to keep moisture and condensation at bay.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2019.