Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1230240741.jpg

Hi Jim, thought I would take a quick shot to save you waiting, I might get a little busy next four or five days with friends visiting. Not really a good time to take photographs under artificial lighting, prefer daylight.

The bottom of the photo has ink writing stating ' 1942, Lined up for action, These White super-powered Half-Tracks Tank destroyers, Army war show in Cleveland Ohio '. The rear of the photograph has the cartouche of the ' White Motor Company, Cleveland '. The photographs they sent him are around 10 x 8 inches.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Christmas Day 2008

General Apathy

post-344-1230805778.jpgpost-344-1230805801.jpg

Hi Forum members, below is the text written by my friend about the neighbouring farmers motorcycle find on his farm, more photos of the dug up motorcycle can be found on my friends militaria site at

http://www.milweb.net/features/zundapp_ks750.php

In our recent feature Normandy Relics we mentioned a farmer in sight of MILWEB’s office in Normandy who found 3 German bodies last spring. Though identification efforts continue, it is certain from insignia that the bodies were from 10th SS soldiers who fought so desperately to stop the British breakout.

Normandy’s dark harvest continues and the week before Christmas 2008 our same farmer dug up this Zundapp KS750 and sidecar – 2 metres down in the ground.

It is a truly incredible find and is yet another important artifact of the Normandy battleground.

M.Thierry told MILWEB that he discovered some debris in the soil and knowing the tell tale signs from years of ploughing up a wide range of wartime relics, he ran over the area with his metal detector and realised there was something large – so returned with a large digger and was amazed when he found the Zundapp on a bitterly cold December day. He initially thought it was a BMW R75 but examination shows it to be a Zundapp KS750. He also found an officers gauntlet with the Zundapp, he firmly believes that the remains of the driver are likely to be nearby.

Why was it 2 metres below ground? It was most likley in one of thousands of shell holes that were filled in when the farmers returned to what little was left of their homes and farms. But many of the locals didnt come back as they had lost everything - life in Normandy had changed forever.

The Zundapp appears to have taken a mortar or shell hit and the engine was ripped off and the transmission was found 20meters away.

This particular farmland is in the epicenter of the bloodiest part of the Operation Bluecoat during August 1944 and he has built up a large collection of relics found on his own farmland. Recently a German veteran returned to retrace his part in the battle, finally being wounded on the farm. He produced a fascinating war diary and map of his personal few days of hell deep in the bloody Bocage.

It is hoped that the Zundapp can be preserved as found and perhaps form part of a display for the 65th anniversary, when veterans of 11th Armoured Division and the Norfolks and Monmouth Regiments return, perhaps for the last time to the now so tranquil Normandy countryside.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 1 2009

General Apathy

post-344-1230806383.jpg

Hi Forum readers, Pleased to say that Christmas 2008 was a good one for me with a number of friends and family visiting for the period. My daughter also came to stay and I was very happy to spend some good days with her. We all had fun, food, drink and various party games like older days, No television I don't have one.

So I hope that all other members had a good Christmas with your family and friends, and wish you many more good days through the coming year 2009

Happy New Year to you all

Happy New Year to you all

Happy New Year to you, too! Thanks for this, most entertaining, and informative post. Please, keep it up!

General Apathy

post-344-1230826237.jpg

See you on the beach, 2009

Hi Johan, hope it was a good Christmas and new Year for you and your wife.

Look forward to seeing you in June if not before. Cheers Ken

Hi Gunbarrel, thanks for the greetings and support for my posts, pleased you like them,

I am happy to continue posts as and when I hope I have anything of interest.

Went out for a 18 mile cycle ride today and met a guy with a parked up Jeep, he was just about

to go out for a New Years day cruise around.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Dec 1 2009.

A very Happy New Year to you and Yours. May 2009 be as good or better than 2008 in the collecting field. Robert

Since this is a Militaria Forum I will with hold my comments about the sad state of affairs here in the USA

General Apathy

post-344-1231085674.jpgpost-344-1231085705.jpg

Hi Robert, thanks for your New Year greetings, sorry to hear that things are bad in the States same as they appear to be all over Europe. The British pound is now on virtual parity with the Euro which means myself and all other Brits in Europe have suffered a 30% drop in their expenditure. Still onwards and upwards, live it all you can

So readers for today's post, I finally received my original first edition copy of ' Rendezvous with Destiny' dated 1948. I bought it from a friend that received it around thirty years ago from the son of the British liaison officer mentioned in the front pages. Capt. L W Newey served as liaison officer with the 101st, he made practise jumps with them but was not allowed to combat jump with them on D-Day June 6th 1944.

This copy was sent complimentary from the 101st Airborne Association for his work with the 101st. I look forward to reading this edition as it covers the history of the 101st and their involvement in the Normandy and subsequent landings in Holland etc. I also hold this copy with heavy heart knowing that the officer mentioned Capt. Newey and most of the men of the 101st have passed into the pages of history.

I hope to learn much much more about this area.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 4 2009.

General Apathy

post-344-1231086005.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont.....................

Here is the text that has been pasted into the front two pages of the book.

General Apathy

post-344-1231086388.jpg

Wah, the mystery of computers, why do some things come out good and others C&% *. ?? think.gif

Apologies I will try in daylight tomorrow to make a better copy of the text above

General Apathy

Wah, the mystery of computers, why do some things come out good and others C&% *. ?? think.gif

Apologies I will try in daylight tomorrow to make a better copy of the text above

Hi Readers, in the tail of the message above I mentioned that I would try to get better photo's of the text pasted into the book, sorry to say it rained all day and I couldn't get out outside today to do so, soon as I can.

Luckily I was in the house today to receive my copy of Henri Paul Enjames new book, I have added a short critique on the book ' G.I. Collectors guide' in the post started by Jon Gawne on this book.

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 5 2009.

General Apathy

post-344-1231272979.jpg

Hi fellow members, well here is another attempt at showing the text pasted into my copy of ' Rendezvous with Destiny ' hope this one works better than the previous attempt.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 6 2009

Well it appears to be more legible if you click on the 'enlarge image' top right of the photo

General Apathy

post-344-1231273141.jpg

Hi fellow members, well here is the lower half of the text pasted into my copy of ' Rendezvous with Destiny ' hope this one works better than the previous attempt.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 6 2009

Well it appears to be more legible if you click on the 'enlarge image' top right of the photo

General Apathy

post-344-1231342331.jpg

Hi Forum Normandy Readers, A couple of post's back I showed a photograph of the ' K ' ration wooden crate I found at the village tip. I went again today to dispose of the weeks recyclables and wooooohhh couple more crates sadly too badly aged to read the printed description, but I could tell they were not ration crates they were also too large. They were somewhat heavier gauge wood and had nailed metal ribbon binding at either end, possibly vehicle spares..

However there was one sole plank that I spotted sadly couldn't see the rest of the crate. If you look at the yellow print in the bottom right corner you can see ' T.N.T. 4-39 ', I have yet to research the M2A1 nomenclature.

Nothing much to jump up and down about, still waiting to find the low mileage Kettenkrad in the metal skip. w00t.gif

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 7 2009

General Apathy

Hi Johan & Erwin, thanks for your clarification on the M2A1 nomenclature, stupid little piece of board but still a good little buzz when you find things like this here in Normandy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 7 2009.

Hi Ken.

With all your unique little finds I'm thinking you should post a sign at the dump saying you'd be interested in any war related items. Maybe you'll get a knock on the door in the middle of the night and find some treasure on your doorstep.

General Apathy

post-344-1231708750.jpg

Hi David, thanks for the suggestion to post a sign at the village dump, since living here I have on occasion passed onto the guy running the place the odd can of beer, canned nuts and packet biscuits, it just helps to keep your face in focus if things get dumped.

Hi Forum Readers, tonites post gives directions from the village of Ste Marie Du Mont to the 101st PIR, 506th Easy Co. monument outside the village. ( this is where the action took place shown in Band of Brothers to capture the artillery cannons positioned to fire down onto Utah beach ) Another thing to note between Ste Marie Du Mont and Utah beach is that all the roads are named after Beach Engineers that cleared the beaches, keep a look out for white monuments showing these names as you travel the roads.

So leaving the village on the D-913 in the direction of Utah beach, approximately a mile out of town is a crossroads with the D-115 ( Le Grand Vey ) to the right, and the D-14 ( Le Grand Chemin ) to the left. At this crossroads on the right is a religious symbol of Christ on the cross.

Take the left onto the D-14 and within half a mile is a minor crossroads, the 506th monument is easily seen on the left hand side at the crossroads. The road on the left here leads down to Brecourt manor ( Please note there is a sign on the side of the monument stating that the owners of the manor request privacy ) The line of trees seen behind the monument is where the artillery was situated. In one of the following posts a map drawn by Winters will show the battle site

From here it is possible to return to the main crossroads and left down to Utah beach, in a few days I will take photos of things to be seen down at the beach and post the photo's and locations.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 11 2009.

General Apathy

post-344-1231709049.jpg

Hi Readers,

Cont.................. The two side panels with names of the fallen.

General Apathy

post-344-1231709135.jpg

Hi Readers,

Cont.................. The two side panels with names of the fallen.

General Apathy

post-344-1231709373.jpg

Hi Readers,

Cont........................ The map drawn by Dick Winters and shown on a brick plinth

to the side of the marble monument to the fallen.

The monument and site were paid for by a number of Dutch citizens who raised

money for the monuments and ground.

Ken,

On issues #1 (1973) and #15 (1977) of After the Battle magazine they show this Churchill AVRE assault tank that "lay buried beneath a minor road just off the invasion beaches" (see photo). Supposedly, they were going to clean it up and set it up for display somewhere nearby. Just curious--to your knowledge, was this ever done? If so, could you post a picture of it being displayed?

Thank you!

post-70-1231716502.jpg

General Apathy

After the Battle magazine they show this Churchill AVRE assault tank that "lay buried beneath a minor road just off the invasion beaches". Supposedly, they were going to clean it up and set it up for display somewhere nearby. Just curious--to your knowledge, was this ever done? If so, could you post a picture of it being displayed?

Thank you!

Hi Gunbarrel, thanks for the post on the recovered Churchill tank, I believe it was recovered and is on display at

Corseulles sur Mer ( Juno Beach ). Sadly I understand that it is in dire need of a fresh cost of paint, one of my friends Nigel Hay ( Milweb.net website ) has suggested that it maybe a good idea if the Imps Militaria club from Kent in England offer to repaint it whilst here visiting for the 65th anniversary this year.

One of the people who was instrumental in recovering this tank was Peter Gray who was the founder of the Military Vehicle Conservation Group ( MVCG ) around 1970, currently called Military Vehicle Trust ( MVT ), possibly the first major military vehicle club in the world, and first to run 200 vehicle convoys through Normandy in 1974 and following years.

Gunbarrel, Hope that helps to you answer your question on the recovery, I will try and get a photo of it for you sometime this spring, however as it is nearly two hours drive each way from here it will have to be when I am over that way.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 12 2009

General Apathy

post-344-1231764877.jpg

post-344-1231764925.jpg

Hi Forum Readers, Whilst on the subject of recent posts about Ste. Marie Du Mont I thought I would show you that you can have a seat in the ringside of history. The first of the attached photos shows U.S. paratroops passing through the main square of Ste. Marie Du Mont, seen behind them are the gates and fence of a house there, this house is currently for sale and shown in the second photo.

Utah Beach is perhaps five miles away, Carentan five miles away, St. Mere Eglise perhaps eight miles away, and many of the other names made famous during 1944. Over and away from the rear garden of this house is Brecourt Manoir mentioned in a post before this one as captured by the 506th.

Also worthy of mention whilst talking about Ste. Marie Du Mont is that on either side of the town square are two museums, one side the Museum of Occupation, and on the opposite side the Museum of Liberation.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 12 2009.