Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Both of these responses made me laugh out loud! Y'all are too funny! I love this thread because of the fun banter back and forth.

Ken,

Did you have any burns from that electric shock? Scary that it threw you across the room!

...Kat

Hi Kat, thankfully no large scale burns as I was on my tip-toes and only two of my fingertips touched the connection, thankfully I didn't grasp it.

Anyway also answering Roberts question, I always found it beneficial later in life having little hair, it helped keep my weight down from the days when I had masses of hair :lol: . . . . . . . . . just had a laugh late last night reading an email from a girl I went out with back in the day when I had masses of hair, she said she had had a dream about me and that I looked just how I did back then, she continued it was a nice dream and we were in love, and signed off with ' Happy Days '.

happy yes, and fond memories, I have to say . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 17 2016.

post-344-0-79481700-1474101383_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Me too Kat. I have to watch out when I read these things at work.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sounds like you enjoy work combined with keeping up with the forum, suspect it must be nice when your secretary brings in coffee and biscuits for you while you read the forum . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

HI Ken,

Are you going up to the Normandy Tank Museum auction? I know a bunch of the 2nd Armored guys have gone over for it looking for deals or steals. Love to get you first hand view as our "NORMANDY CORRESPONDENT"

Tom Bowers

General Apathy

HI Ken,

Are you going up to the Normandy Tank Museum auction? I know a bunch of the 2nd Armored guys have gone over for it looking for deals or steals. Love to get you first hand view as our "NORMANDY CORRESPONDENT"

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, good to hear from you, no I won't be attending, I am just coming out of a hectic week, and come Monday I will be starting another hectic week, plus a friend from the UK will be over for the weekend at the end of that week, partly the reason that I have been slow in posting things lately. Plus the days are getting progressively shorter now curtailing the amount I can get done in daylight.

The auction starts at 14.00 or close to that time, the entrance fee to the auction is forty euros, whether bidding or not, and in my case not. If I get my morning rendezvous finished early enough I might drift over to see who is wondering around, but I will not be there for buying. . . . . . . . .

Hi Tom, good to hear from you, no I won't be attending, I am just coming out of a hectic week, and come Monday I will be starting another hectic week, plus a friend from the UK will be over for the weekend at the end of that week, partly the reason that I have been slow in posting things lately. Plus the days are getting progressively shorter now curtailing the amount I can get done in daylight.

The auction starts at 14.00 or close to that time, the entrance fee to the auction is forty euros, whether bidding or not, and in my case not. If I get my morning rendezvous finished early enough I might drift over to see who is wondering around, but I will not be there for buying. . . . . . . . .

40 just to get in !!!! They don't want to have any looky loos do they?

not surprising, they've been advertising this auction world wide for months now. Some nice vehicles though and I don't expect that everything will go top dollar but I just wish I could have seen it before it got sold off

Tom Bowers

General Apathy

Yup, that's me out the frame, however if my day allows me time before the auction starts, I might just drift over to say hello to a few people. . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

not surprising, they've been advertising this auction world wide for months now. Some nice vehicles though and I don't expect that everything will go top dollar but I just wish I could have seen it before it got sold off

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, Nigel who runs Milweb has been over there all day today pressing flesh with some of tomorrows bidders and promoting the Milweb site where the auction is also being advertised. Nigel said that there are some real players and foreign buyers there looking the items over in preparation for tomorrow's auction, this is not going to be a five and dime sale . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

While we are talking about the tank museum . . . . . . . .

three weeks back I went to a flea market being held on the car park in front of the museum. I bought an old cast-iron fireback to possibly use on the rear wall behind my BBQ in the garden, it was too narrow when I put it into position so I drilled each corner and mounted it today on the outside wall of the house above the kitchen door.

post-344-0-10189600-1474142758.jpg

General Apathy

Report from the Carentan Tank museum auction today. . . . . . . .

Hi I am here at the auction today, I thought it would to be good to catch up with people I have met through the hobby over the years, or worked with on some of the war films made in the last fifteen years.

I parked my rusty old jeep outside on the car park and had many people looking over it and discussing it's merits and maybe some of it's downsides, When I went over to the Jeep to get my catalog I was engaged in quite a few conversations and answering questions about the Jeep, there were people even kneeling on the ground and looking it over underneath. Several people asked if it was for sale and what was the price, which of course I replied that it was not for sale. I think a for sale sign on it would have brought many other purchase offers.

Anyway back to the auction, all the great , good, and mega rich are there or representatives for some of the multi rich. Auction fever has hit town, we have just seen one of the possibly two Jeeps in auction fetch 77,000 euros, we haven't got onto the heavier vehicles yet, and of course for most of the items there is only one example of each, and with the crowds that are there it is as I said auction fever.

Of course this does not make every Jeep in the world worth that amount of money, this is just because so many rich people are here in town for this auction that was advertised world-wide, and the world is here or at least the rich of the world.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 18 2016. ( Carentan auction day ).

post-344-0-81015900-1474207402.jpg

General Apathy

Auction Fever News . . . . . . . .

Cushman scooter estimate 15 - 20 thousand went for 115 thousand, the rich are buying the world today . . . . . . . :wacko:

Of course you will still be able to pick up any of this stuff, on eBay, Craigs list, Milweb website for the regular prices that this stuff sells for, check out prices on Milweb now.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 18 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Hope everyone is well. Just thought I'd show off my new birthday present. It's number 1622, which just so happens to be the year it feels like lately I was born in.

Figured it would be appropriate to stick on my M1917A1. My Dad was issued this helmet when he joined the New York National Guard in 1940. He wore it through the big war games in 1941 and had it with him when he arrived in Hawaii on the first troop ship to reach the islands after Pearl Harbor. It's an original M1917 converted to A1 later, so really does cover the Doughboy to GI book title.

I've only had a chance to glance through it so far. In the intro, Ken says of the 800 items in the book, only one is not from his collection. I'll have a bit of a treasure hunt trying to figure out which is the one. It should keep me busy for a while.

Mikie

post-2687-0-92471400-1475463302_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Hi, everyone, Ron, hbtcoveralls, zippy, mikie, Robert, Erwin, sorry for the delay in responding to your posts, hopefully I will catch up with the blog again after the weekend, for the past month it has been busy, busy, busy for me.

take care and enjoy the weekend.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2016.

post-344-0-31489400-1476527521_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Been quite busy these past few weeks and didn't spend much time on the forum, but am now catching up...

The Jeep is now finished and back on display in the museum... Probably the last picture of it I will be posting here as it is has now been transferred to the Canadian Defense Forces of 1944...

Cheers,

Johan