Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

A prime candidate for a Then and Now shot. Get the For Sale sign in the Now shot and maybe you can get a bit of commission when it sells!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, we did this as a ' Then & Now ' about six months or so ago, but as you suggest, here is the ' Now ' again for a comparison as it's for sale . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 18 2016.

post-344-0-14438900-1471536220.jpg

General Apathy

Another house, sort of, well painted like one at least . . . . . . .

Not certain as to where this one was actually located, but it was of the coastal defences built by the Germans and using tank turrets, most bunkers were emptied of all metal parts and pieces post world war two.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 19 2016.

post-344-0-08215200-1471559778.jpg

Hi Mikie, well you had me spluttering as I had breakfast this morning, a funny similarly . . . :lol::lol::lol:

I do have that effect on people.

Mikie

Not certain as to where this one was actually located, but it was of the coastal defences built by the Germans and using tank turrets, most bunkers were emptied of all metal parts and pieces post world war two.

don't think I'd like that assignment

This is very interesting. Do you think they did this as a type of camouflage?

...Kat

Johan Willaert

Pootling around Normandy in the Jeep . . . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday a friend Dave took a short video clip of my Jeep passing along a Normandy farm track, not certain if this link is going to work, but let's give it a go, if it works have the sound on, Jeep sounds sweet as it passes the camera.

The title of the video was down to Dave and not myself . . . . . . . . . . .

Proper way to drive a Jeep! 003.mp4

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16 2016.

HI Ken,

Great footage and some great driving... The Jeep looks almost as good on film as it does in real life...

Thanks for having us over the other week and you will be glad to learn we all survived your BBQ'ing skills... LOL...

With all that has been going on in Summer, I haven't had much time to work on the museum Jeep but managed to finish a dozen of small details on it last week... All that's left now is applying markings and getting it MOT'ed...

post-92-0-71593000-1471871648_thumb.jpg

Historical Normandy building for sale. . . . . . . . . . .

I passed by this historical building earlier this week and noticed that there is a ' FOR-SALE ' sign in the window . . . . . so for all you guys wanting to buy a piece of history, here it is . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Ken.....if you buy that building you can have a shop and open the shoe box to display its treasure.:)

...Kat

Yes.

Thats a great photo.

You could have a fun caption contest with that picture.

"Hey Fritz....its your turn to sit in the chimney....uhh turret today and watch all those big ships in the water".

Yes.

Thats a great photo.

"Hey Fritz....its your turn to sit in the chimney....uhh turret today and watch all those big ships in the water".

You are too funny!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the Germans had other coastal defences such as this. For example, I would think that they could have protected their high angle, short range artillery in a similar manner. It would give new meaning to the term "a brick and mortar" building! ^_^

Here's a rear view with an original 1943 Brit Jerrycan in place...

Still need to touch up a few shiny screws with OD paint...

I love to see these pieces of history come alive again. You are all doing a service to the future.

Mikie

Yes.

Thats a great photo.

Ha!

Here's mine...When Masons go to war...

Mikie

General Apathy

don't think I'd like that assignment

Hi Robert, nor do I think most people would, a little pop-gun firing something like a 20cm shell facing a battleship firing a 500cm shell . . . . . . . oops change of underwear needed me thinks . . . . . . . :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 24 2016.

General Apathy

...Kat

Hi Kat, there was some strange camouflage patterns painted on bunkers, there are some over at the Azeville battery where the outside walls were painted with fields, farms, trees and a sky-line, copying an image that you would be seeing all around when looking from a tank turret.

General Apathy

HI Ken,

Great footage and some great driving... The Jeep looks almost as good on film as it does in real life...

Thanks for having us over the other week and you will be glad to learn we all survived your BBQ'ing skills... LOL...

With all that has been going on in Summer, I haven't had much time to work on the museum Jeep but managed to finish a dozen of small details on it last week... All that's left now is applying markings and getting it MOT'ed...

Hi Johan, it was good to have your wife, daughter and yourself around for the evening, in an effort to improve my BBQ skills there have been five more evenings with other guinea-pigs, sorry meant to say friends.

quite funny filming the track run in the Jeep, I did it the first time only to return to where Dave stood filming to be told he hadn't set the camera to video and could I do it again . . . . . . . . . . the second run was a little less dramatic than the first run. . . . . . :lol:

Good work on the museum Jeep, it will be a fine addition for visitors to see.

General Apathy

Ken.....if you buy that building you can have a shop and open the shoe box to display its treasure. :)

Hi Ron, sorry I think you have me confused with someone who has both the time and the money to do that . . . . :)

Sadly the Carentan tank museum is closing down shortly due to not enough foot-fall through the door to cover all the costs.

General Apathy

Yes.

Thats a great photo.

Hi Ron, here's my entry for your competition, remembering that we are in France

a play on words " little house on the Marais " ( marshland )

General Apathy

I wonder if the Germans had other coastal defences such as this. For example, I would think that they could have protected their high angle, short range artillery in a similar manner. It would give new meaning to the term "a brick and mortar" building! ^_^

Hi Beast, you wondered if the Germans had other painted bunkers, here's another one on a similar design as the tank turret one. Looking at the ancient fort turret on the left of the bunker and the sea in the background then this could possibly be at Le Mont St Michel.

post-344-0-23505800-1472037897_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Ha!

Here's mine...When Masons go to war...

Mikie

hi mikie, well here's another attempt at Ron's competition . . .

" little house on the Merderet " ( a French river at Carentan, which American paratroops fought across )

Deceiving the enemy is a fascinating subject that goes at least as far back as the Trojan Horse. It's a military art/science all by itself. I have read that the Germans had disguised some bunkers as beach houses, barns etc. I've done a quick search and found these two pictures. I am assuming that the young lady was not actually part of the cammo scheme. Sorry, location of neither of these bunkers were listed.

post-2687-0-47580600-1472057332.jpg

post-2687-0-25345600-1472057350_thumb.jpg

Mikie

Deceiving the enemy is a fascinating subject that goes at least as far back as the Trojan Horse. It's a military art/science all by itself. I have read that the Germans had disguised some bunkers as beach houses, barns etc. I've done a quick search and found these two pictures. I am assuming that the young lady was not actually part of the cammo scheme. Sorry, location of neither of these bunkers were listed.

Mikie

Mikie,

These pictures are very interesting! I bet Ken knows where these were taken.

...Kat