Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

got my problem fixed so now I can post comments on the parachute, Is it possible yo find someone to repack it? What an amazing find. Every Airborne collector must be drooling over that

Hi Robert, good to have you back again. not certain what my friend intends to do about packing the chute again.

take care with all that heat you have had these past few weeks

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 26 2016.

General Apathy

Our house was built in 1946. When we moved into it in 2003, I was hoping that I'd find a vet's footlocker stuffed with WWII goodies tucked away in the back of the attic. No such luck. Plenty of postwar dead spiders, though.

Mikie

hi mikie, sorry to hear you chose the wrong house to buy, perhaps this was the sort of thing you were hoping to find when you were looking at houses to buy . . . . . . . . . ( think it was also what I was hoping for )

( mannequin display at the Carentan tank museum 2016 . . . . . . )

post-344-0-25670100-1469534932.jpg

All kidding aside for a moment, Ken, from the news it looks like you close to the front lines of a new Normandy battlefield. Hope you and the locals are holding up well.

Stay safe!

Mikie

All kidding aside for a moment, Ken, from the news it looks like you close to the front lines of a new Normandy battlefield. Hope you and the locals are holding up well.

Stay safe!

Mikie

Ditto Ken. Be careful.

General Apathy

Hi Mikie and Beast, thanks for your kind thoughts, I have to say that I have concern for the areas and the people who have suffered or died from these attacks over the past few weeks.

Today's atrocity has been described as Normandy, however the village where it happened is approximately two hours drive from here.

Thanks again for you thoughts.

General Apathy

Normandy Finds Saturday 30th July 2016 . . . . . . .

I have had friends staying all last week, they wanted to camp in the garden using two WWII US small wall tents.

myself and the four guys had a look around a street market on Saturday at Ste Marie du Mont, a fair mixture of household, garage, garden, vehicle, personal and militaria pieces. On one stand we found two WWII water cans, one of the guys wanted the American one, and as I can't recall seeing a Brit 1944 Water marked can before I bought that, both of the cans in good solid condition.

Another item I bought was a US military brass zip made by ' Prentice ' long enough for a full length sleeping bag, cost five euros.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 1 2016.

post-344-0-06671500-1470085228.jpg

General Apathy

nice find. Funny how a can from 1944 shows up at a street market. Where's it been hiding?

Hi Robert, thankfully where ever this one was kept, it was kept in nice dry conditions, and as such was saleable, others just simply get thrown away, left long enough on a concrete floor even indoors the metal will eventually corrode and rot the bottom out, always keep metal away from concrete.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 2 2016.

General Apathy

Normandy bunkers July 31st 2016 . . . . . . .

As the four friends were leaving on the ferry Sunday evening from Cherbourg then I spent the day in Cherbourg and the area with them, showing them bunkers and sites of interest. This photo was taken from the roof of one large bunker looking at the other large one above it on the hillside, note on the left-hand side the one-man defensive machinegun ' Tobruk ' built into the roof of this bunker.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 31 2016.

post-344-0-54762000-1470159958.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy bunker small find . . . . . . . .

while we were wondering around looking at the bunkers Nick spotted something glinting in the soil, upon pulling it out we realised it was part of an aluminium ammunition stripper clip, it's dated 1939. Last time I visited the bunkers a few weeks ago there were lots of fired cartridge cases laying around and easily seen once the first one was spotted.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 31 2016.

post-344-0-07520100-1470161097_thumb.jpg

Very cool finds. Being the first to pick up things like the clip or casings after sitting there for 72 years is as close as we can get to having been there. They have a story to tell, one we will never know. But with a bit of knowledge and some imagination, there is a connection to whoever dropped them there. I've never been there, but I get a sense of wonder whenever you post these findings. It's a big part of the reason I love stopping by here. It's great to have you back again!

Mikie

General Apathy

Very cool finds. Being the first to pick up things like the clip or casings after sitting there for 72 years is as close as we can get to having been there. They have a story to tell, one we will never know. But with a bit of knowledge and some imagination, there is a connection to whoever dropped them there. I've never been there, but I get a sense of wonder whenever you post these findings. It's a big part of the reason I love stopping by here. It's great to have you back again!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, nice to know that you enjoyed the small find Nick made around the bunkers, below are the small pieces myself and a friend Dave found a few weeks before. Will have to get back there again in a few weeks, sadly Dave and his wife are moving back to the UK for work related reasons in October, Dave really enjoys exploring sites.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 3 2016.

post-344-0-31250600-1470244445.jpg

General Apathy

Surprising find . . . . . . .

I was in the hardware store a few days ago and spotted this tin with the image of a WWII Jeep on it to emphasize that the paint can be used on metal, wood, cement and vehicles. Over seventy years since WWII and the enduring image of a Jeep is still used by this particular paint company . . . . .

post-344-0-50000500-1470245031.jpg

General Apathy

That reminds me, I saw this article the other day but forgot to post it here. I remember seeing these ads in the back of comic books when I was a kid in the 60's. I wanted to order one but my sage old Dad wisely knew it was a scam.

Enjoy!

Mikie

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/jeep-crate-for-50.html

Haha Mikie, the dream of a crated Jeep, I for one would have loved that dream, even just to see a factory fresh Jeep and it's construction and materials. :love:

Closest I got to a crated Jeep was visiting a farm late 70's where crated Jeeps were assembled during the war before being moved next door onto the airfield, the farmer showed me his chicken coups with planks emblazoned with Willys Motors, Toledo, Ohio. looking back now I wish I had photographed the planks, or attempted to buy them.

Talking of wise fathers, I attempted to emigrate to Australia at 18, but below 21 it was necessary to get a parents permission, he said my mother wouldn't have liked it so here I am today writing for the forum from Normandy. ^_^

General Apathy

That reminds me, I saw this article the other day but forgot to post it here. I remember seeing these ads in the back of comic books when I was a kid in the 60's. I wanted to order one but my sage old Dad wisely knew it was a scam.

Enjoy!

Mikie

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/jeep-crate-for-50.html

Hi Mikie, I was just having an off-forum chat with a long-time Jeeping friend, we were discussing an article in today's UK newspapers regarding a WWII American soldier that ' acquired ' a 1935 Mercedes Roadster and somehow achieved getting home to the US where it resided for sixty-six years. According to the article a Dutch car collector bought it in 2011 and returned it back to Europe. However when he drove it to a car show in Germany it was confiscated by the German police and returned to the family of the original owner.

We also spoke as we have many times about the Jeep in a crate stories. Steve's father was a WWII pilot in Europe and was offered for £250 a Type 29 Bugatti by an American pilot that he had ' found ' it in France, at the time Steve's wise grandfather wouldn't loan Steve's father the £250 to buy the ' dodgy motor '. Parents huh, who would have them . . . . . . . .

Ken,

I was on vacation and am trying to get caught up. Too many great posts to comment individually. I will just add one huge, great posts as always comment! I love the pictures of your finds and the bunkers and the cans of paint and everything! :) Were you a little worried about picking up that ammunition?

...Kat

Rakkasan187

Ken,

As always I enjoy coming back to this thread and reviewing the posts. This is better than reading a book at times..

We are sitting here in the office at the museum with a copy of your book in hand and we are discussing our next exhibit and going through your book looking at equipment and other items..

Thank you again for your time, talents and sharing your treasures with us all. You have really made collecting and preserving history a pleasure.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the items that are resurfacing after 70 plus years..

Leigh

General Apathy

Ken,

I was on vacation and am trying to get caught up. Too many great posts to comment individually. I will just add one huge, great posts as always comment! I love the pictures of your finds and the bunkers and the cans of paint and everything! :) Were you a little worried about picking up that ammunition?

...Kat

Hi Kat, well here's hoping that you are enjoying or enjoyed your vacation whichever is the case. Thanks for the comments on the posts since you last looked.

There's no problem in picking up the ammunition pieces the ones I have shown, the danger are grenades and shells especially anything you don't recognize.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 5 2016.

General Apathy

Ken,

As always I enjoy coming back to this thread and reviewing the posts. This is better than reading a book at times..

We are sitting here in the office at the museum with a copy of your book in hand and we are discussing our next exhibit and going through your book looking at equipment and other items..

Thank you again for your time, talents and sharing your treasures with us all. You have really made collecting and preserving history a pleasure.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the items that are resurfacing after 70 plus years..

Leigh

Hi Leigh, too - too kind with your comments, thank you very much.

Good luck with your museum and it's projects, if you need some other or even heavy stuff for your museum here's the link to the Carentan tank museum auction and items that will be up for sale in September.

http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&ps=18&st=D&sale_no=3114

Take care have a good summer.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 5 2016.

General Apathy

" Paint your Wagon " no sorry I meant paint your Mercedes . . . . . . . . . . .

there seems to be a growing trend in Europe to visit Normandy in ' military ' style painted cars . . . . . . often I don't get the time to photograph them all, but here's one of them, and I need to download and size another one I did this week.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 8 2016.

post-344-0-93959000-1470650275.jpg

" Paint your Wagon " no sorry I meant paint your Mercedes . . . . . . . . . . .

there seems to be a growing trend in Europe to visit Normandy in ' military ' style painted cars . . . . . . often I don't get the time to photograph them all, but here's one of them, and I need to download and size another one I did this week.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 8 2016.

Looks comfy! But since it is a Mercedes, shouldn't it have a Balkenkreuz instead of a star? :rolleyes: