Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Chunky Monkey

Glad to hear all is good with you General. I thought of you when I heard of the cowardly attack in France. Love that Jeep!!

Sent from my minnie using Tapatalk

The Meatcan

Hey Ken, your Jeep looks great and glad to read you positive experiences in holiday parades. It has to be so very gratifying to know your efforts have been seen and appreciated by real life people in addition to us Forum members. Congrats and well done, sir! Hope you now can find some down time to kick back in your serene garden space and rest up before another spate of Then and Now pix!

Merci beaucoup,

Terry

Lewis wanted me to post this on his blog. So here it is.

A while back I had a hankerin to try my hand at carving figures. I started by purchasing some balsa wood and carved a small duck. Then I moved up to bass wood and and carved a few more ducks. Then I was ready to try a figure, having never done this before I had no idea if I could. At any rate I had my wife take some photos of me in the traditional AAF pilot clothing....khaki pants, OD wool shirt, khaki tie, brown shoes, A2 jacket and cap. She took one from straight on and one from each side then one from the rear. I then drew on a 4x4x8" block of bass wood the basic outline from the front, rear, and both sides and then started cutting away the wood. When I got thru I had duplicated the photos as best I could. I then painted the figure. I painted his A2 jacket to resemble a good friends who was with the 95th BG (Heavy). Anyway here is the figure, the only one I've done and hope you all like it. Thanks Lewis for asking me to post it here.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-92994400-1468707945.jpeg

post-7752-0-84035400-1468707973.jpeg

post-7752-0-09781200-1468707987.jpeg

post-7752-0-68123500-1468707999.jpeg

I saw this on you earlier post. It's really neat. I like your balance of accuracy and whimsy. On your next one, please take some pictures of the work in progress. I've tried something like this once or twice, but with much less good results. I'd like to see how you do it.

Mikie

Doing art work to me is sort of like doing yard work...you have to be in the mood and I don't do yard work.

That said I occasionally will get the spirit, sort of and draw or paint something. These things I carved were the first and last things I carved. I may have to give it another shot. I appreciate your comments Mikie.

Ronnie

Really a neat little project Ronnie.

Turned out nice.

I knew an old decoy carver onece.He always said "the wood will tell you what to carve"

He was right Ron. If it has a good shape of something in particular it is for sure a head start.

The trouble with natural wood....drift wood and other limbs and so forth. Many are from hardwood trees and it is just tuff to carve with a knife. Now that I have a Dremel Tool that could be easier to do.

Thanks for your comments...I appreciate them.

Ronnie

General Apathy

Glad to hear all is good with you General. I thought of you when I heard of the cowardly attack in France. Love that Jeep!!

Sent from my minnie using Tapatalk

Hi Chunky, pleased to hear from you again, also pleased to say that things are currently safe and sound here in Normandy.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Jeep, with the present high temperatures and sunshine I'm having to prevent myself from just being out in it from dawn to dusk, having said that, once I have a few jobs done I will be off out in it again this afternoon. :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 19 2016.

General Apathy

Hey Ken, your Jeep looks great and glad to read you positive experiences in holiday parades. It has to be so very gratifying to know your efforts have been seen and appreciated by real life people in addition to us Forum members. Congrats and well done, sir! Hope you now can find some down time to kick back in your serene garden space and rest up before another spate of Then and Now pix!

Merci beaucoup,

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for joining in again, pleased to say that the garden has matured this year, the plants and trees forming almost a maze to wonder around and in-between. I have to start work next week on ripping down the present log store and rebuilding in a more substantial way, concrete base and stone walls for the tiled roof.

the Jeep has become a point of conversation with total strangers, the look is deceiving as it starts on the button, and stops on a sixpence. I picked a friend up Sunday morning for coffee in Ste Mere Eglise, he is currently having his jeep professionally rebuilt in the UK and questioned how come mine accelerates so well and the brakes don't squeal when applied.

below is a photo from the Carentan vehicle parade in June this year, shows about a third of the participants

post-344-0-54205500-1468920513.jpg

General Apathy

Lewis wanted me to post this on his blog. So here it is.

A while back I had a hankerin to try my hand at carving figures. I started by purchasing some balsa wood and carved a small duck. Then I moved up to bass wood and and carved a few more ducks. Then I was ready to try a figure, having never done this before I had no idea if I could. At any rate I had my wife take some photos of me in the traditional AAF pilot clothing....khaki pants, OD wool shirt, khaki tie, brown shoes, A2 jacket and cap. She took one from straight on and one from each side then one from the rear. I then drew on a 4x4x8" block of bass wood the basic outline from the front, rear, and both sides and then started cutting away the wood. When I got thru I had duplicated the photos as best I could. I then painted the figure. I painted his A2 jacket to resemble a good friends who was with the 95th BG (Heavy). Anyway here is the figure, the only one I've done and hope you all like it. Thanks Lewis for asking me to post it here.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, thanks for posting your hand carved figure here, as I thought it would, it has been appreciated by friends that join us here.

General Apathy

Hi everyone, I just arrived home having been out Jeeping for most of the day, midday I met up with a friend and his wife at a bar we enjoy visiting.

It was there that the friend showed me his latest find that he had JUST picked up, I have yet to download my camera and resize for the forum, which I will do this evening, but first I have a friends dogs to visit and feed so I will do it after that.

Be prepared, don't be holding hot coffee in your hands later. . . . . . . . . . . . . :o

General Apathy

You tease.... :)

Hi Ron, well I have done what I needed to do and just downloaded and resized the photo to add here

Grandchildren found this pack at the weekend clearing out the grandparents house, sadly they just couldn't leave it as it was found, they had to unpack it to look at it, surprise - surprise it doesn't fit back in how it came out . . . . . . . . Note how clean and pure white it is.

So I have one lucky friend this evening that's done a deal with the grandchildren and he now owns it, it is believed to have been from a 508th trooper :love:

so forum members, and the few cynics out there, there are still finds to be found here . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

post-344-0-88779800-1468955375.jpg

Hi Ron, well I have done what I needed to do and just downloaded and resized the photo to add here

Grandchildren found this pack at the weekend clearing out the grandparents house, sadly they just couldn't leave it as it was found, they had to unpack it to look at it, surprise - surprise it doesn't fit back in how it came out . . . . . . . . Note how clean and pure white it is.

So I have one lucky friend this evening that's done a deal with the grandchildren and he now owns it, it is believed to have been from a 508th trooper :love:

so forum members, and the few cynics out there, there are still finds to be found here . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

WOW! Does it have the maintenance log still?

General Apathy

WOW! Does it have the maintenance log still?

Hi Beast, sadly it was not there today, who knows when it was removed . . . . . . .

here's the date panel information, matches the pack details..

bet this would be something to add to your collection huh. :rolleyes:

post-344-0-41884800-1468960373.jpg

Thats nice Ken

Thanks for posting.

Its the same here whether it be a parachute or a box of rations at a auction they always have to pull the cord or open the box to "see it".

Hi Beast, sadly it was not there today, who knows when it was removed . . . . . . .

here's the date panel information, matches the pack details..

bet this would be something to add to your collection huh. :rolleyes:

Ken, Why yes, yes I would!

General Apathy

Reminds me of this... :lol:

Mikie

Mikie, haha never seen that clip before, I don't have a television.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 22 2016.

General Apathy

Ken, Why yes, yes I would!

Hi Beast, maybe when the next one turns up I will put a bid in for you . . . . .

I thought more people would be amazed by such a nice piece being found after 72 years ? ?

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 22 2016.

got my problem fixed so now I can post comments on the parachute, Is it possible yo find someone to repack it? What an amazing find. Every Airborne collector must be drooling over that

Our house was built in 1946. When we moved into it in 2003, I was hoping that I'd find a vet's footlocker stuffed with WWII goodies tucked away in the back of the attic. No such luck. Plenty of postwar dead spiders, though.

Mikie