Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Ken. Thanks for checking in. Sounds like you are having a fun if busy time. I look forward to hearing from you when life calms a little down.

Mikie

Johan Willaert

Johan, Jeep looks great, pleased for you that it's getting closer to finished.

Jeep came home to the museum yesterday... still a ton of little detailing to do, along with the windshield...

post-92-0-28734600-1465996614.jpg

Jeep came home to the museum yesterday... still a ton of little detailing to do, along with the windshield...

looking good Johan

It looks great! Keep up posting the pictures!

Mikie

General Apathy

Thanks all... Ken's jeep looks even better with the shed patina...

Hi Johan and everyone, apologies again a fleeting visit, my family who are visiting these two weeks have gone to bed and so I have a few moments to check in.

Johan, thanks for your thoughts on the appearance of my jeep, pleased you got to see it, sadly time ran out for me to have it on the road whilst the anniversary weeks were here, back to it again in two weeks when the family ( or what I term the annual general inspection ) have gone again.

Johan, Back at post #9181 you added a photo of your Jeep taken in 1984 at Creully with the old 12century castle in the background, Montgomery's HQ summer of 1944. Looking through old photos today with the family I found a photo, again taken 1984 in virtually the same spot, my GMC 353 going towards the castle.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 16 2016

post-344-0-62991100-1466113202.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy anniversary trip June 1984 . . . . . . . . . . .

Being eaten by the jaws of my hungry GMC, can't quite recall the need for doing work in the engine compartment, but it couldn't have been anything serious as it made it all the way to Normandy and back home again.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 16 2016.

post-344-0-53461700-1466113593.jpg

Normandy anniversary trip June 1984 . . . . . . . . . . .

Being eaten by the jaws of my hungry GMC, can't quite recall the need for doing work in the engine compartment, but it couldn't have been anything serious as it made it all the way to Normandy and back home again.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 16 2016.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Great photo Ken! I spent many hours in that position with my GMCs! Mainly the dreaded manifold problems...! LOVED the GMCs though! Best vehicle ever for the driving experience!! Cheers, Graham

General Apathy

Hi Robert, Mikie, Ron and Kat, pleased to see that you are enjoying Johan's posts while I am AWOL, another busy weekend for me.

This Saturday is our annual village music festival, we have about five bands playing. Saturday morning I will be organizing a group of ladies from the village for peeling around twelve sack of potatoes and my job is keeping the ladies supplied and operating the hand operated chipping machine. During the evening I will be operating the beer pumps supplying beer to the servers. During village events I loan several pieces of equipment that I used to use in our military field kitchen displays, A marmite can and containers these are used for warm storage of cooked sausages, meat and ribs, also a large insulated container with tap for keeping the wine based Kia chilled.

It's only rock and roll, but I like it . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2016.

General Apathy

Great photo Ken! I spent many hours in that position with my GMCs! Mainly the dreaded manifold problems...! LOVED the GMCs though! Best vehicle ever for the driving experience!! Cheers, Graham

Hi Graham, I started in this hobby with a Jeep and am back to just one Jeep again now, it also happens to be the first one which got me into the hobby, but your right the GMC is a great truck to drive even though seventy or more years old, and for me it definitely has the best exhaust tone of all WWII vehicles.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2016.

General Apathy

attachicon.gifBB1.jpgattachicon.gifBB2.jpgNot sure if you are familiar with the Beetle Bailey comic strip, but peeling potatoes brought it to mind...

Hi Mikie, sorry I don't have a photo of the potato peeling, here however is a photo taken just before setting off for the evening operating the beer taps, the vintage American tie was a good conversation opener, lots of people asked about it or commented how great they thought it was, especially most of the young dudes in the bands. . . . . . . . . . and it was great talking rock and roll with them.

The bands and the beer stopped at 02.30, stragglers made their way home, we then did a basic sweep of the area tidying around, we all adjourned to the village hall and enjoyed a late supper taken with a smooth alcohol digestive, whiskey, brandy or Calvados.

I wondered home in the dark at 04.30 with the aid of a fantastic new LED military grade flashlight I bought last week, checked my emails and as I climbed the stairs to bed the rays of dawn were striking through the windows.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 20 2016.

post-344-0-00373500-1466449801.jpg

The bands and the beer stopped at 02.30, stragglers made their way home, we then did a basic sweep of the area tidying around, we all adjourned to the village hall and enjoyed a late supper taken with a smooth alcohol digestive, whiskey, brandy or Calvados.

I wondered home in the dark at 04.30 with the aid of a fantastic new LED military grade flashlight I bought last week, checked my emails and as I climbed the stairs to bed the rays of dawn were striking through the windows.

Ken,

It sounds like you had an amazing time! When you said you had to keep the ladies supplied, my first thought was "I bet he did but with what? " :lol::lol:

...Kat

Nice OLD STYLE tie ;)

Hard to break old habits runnung til dawn!! :lol:

lad yoa had fun d sounds likea great event and good times

General Apathy

Ken,

It sounds like you had an amazing time! When you said you had to keep the ladies supplied, my first thought was "I bet he did but with what? " :lol:

...Kat

Well Kat, they were naughty thoughts you were having mmmhh . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :o^_^ and I couldn't possibly say.

General Apathy

Nice OLD STYLE tie ;)

Hard to break old habits running til dawn!! :lol:

lad yoa had fun d sounds likea great event and good times

Hi Ron, heading home at dawn, those are the nights that you remember, lovely sensation walking home as the dawn breaks and the world and the day starts again. ;) I always love that first start of a morning when the sun is breaking, the mist is hanging over lakes, ponds and rivers, perhaps wood smoke rising slowly and gently from some isolated cottage, tall trees appearing out of the mist along with cows and horses grazing on dew soaked grass, love nature.

General Apathy

But who took the picture??? :dry:

Johan, that's a no-brainer, and of course it was the ' person ' behind the camera, I won't have to kill you if I tell you, but it won't be here and it won't be now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . see you next summer. :lol:

Hi Ron, heading home at dawn, those are the nights that you remember, lovely sensation walking home as the dawn breaks and the world and the day starts again. ;) I always love that first start of a morning when the sun is breaking, the mist is hanging over lakes, ponds and rivers, perhaps wood smoke rising slowly and gently from some isolated cottage, tall trees appearing out of the mist along with cows and horses grazing on dew soaked grass, love nature.

Very beautifully put. Makes me long for the days when I lived in a place a little less urban. If only dawn wasn't so early in the morning. But then by staying up all night you solved that!

Mikie

General Apathy

Then & Now North Wales Mountain school . . . . . .

Just thought I would have a laugh with this photo, I recall it being taken back when I was fifteen and attending a mountain climbing school, on this particular day there was to be practice in mountain rescue of an injured person or body. The call was made for a volunteer patient to fit in the stretcher and so I was that person, once securely strapped in, the stretcher was carried towards the edge of a sheer drop and all of a sudden I find myself being lowered over the vertical drop, worst part was not having my arms free, for what purpose I had no idea but just wanted them to be untethered.

The reason I added this photo was I found it to still be in use at the school when I attended a school reunion back in May this year, however a current photo couldn't be taken as the school is no longer called out for emergencies.

I arrived a day earlier and met up with an old school friend who has worked in Germany in the Mercedes design studios since leaving school, and together we climbed the highest peak in North Wales at 1,090 feet, which we last did fifty years ago.

Not really easy to see but these would be one of my first pieces of militaria collectibles, a pair of surplus WWII ex British Army brown leather Commando boots, with rubber cleated soles.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21 2016.

post-344-0-47345400-1466546159.jpg

Then & Now North Wales Mountain school . . . . . .

Just thought I would have a laugh with this photo, I recall it being taken back when I was fifteen and attending a mountain climbing school, on this particular day there was to be practice in mountain rescue of an injured person or body. The call was made for a volunteer patient to fit in the stretcher and so I was that person, once securely strapped in, the stretcher was carried towards the edge of a sheer drop and all of a sudden I find myself being lowered over the vertical drop, worst part was not having my arms free, for what purpose I had no idea but just wanted them to be untethered.

The reason I added this photo was I found it to still be in use at the school when I attended a school reunion back in May this year, however a current photo couldn't be taken as the school is no longer called out for emergencies.

I arrived a day earlier and met up with an old school friend who has worked in Germany in the Mercedes design studios since leaving school, and together we climbed the highest peak in North Wales at 1,090 feet, which we last did fifty years ago.

Not really easy to see but these would be one of my first pieces of militaria collectibles, a pair of surplus WWII ex British Army brown leather Commando boots, with rubber cleated soles.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21 2016.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That photo shows that you were profoundly brave (also evident in the picture of your tie a few posts up) , had complete faith in your classmates, or just like layng down on the job. One bit of advice my dad used to give from his army days was, never stand when you can sit, never sit if you can lay down.

Mikie