Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Thought you'd like seeing some more pictures of progress on the museum Jeep...

Body work....

For folks like me who never have seen a jeep taken apart like this, I always do enjoy seeing posts like this. Keep them coming!

Mikie

General Apathy

What a great picture. I remember doing those type of pictures but all my uniform shrunk

Hi Robert, that's the strange thing about when it shrinks width ways, it also lengthens length ways, and it ends up too tight on the waist and too long on the legs . . . . . . . . . . . Happens to everyone's collection, hahahaa

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 12 2016.

General Apathy

Really nice Villa display! I've been toying with the idea of putting one together for a while...

PS very nice relic, Mikie! Haha

Hi David, when I was heavily into displays with the group of friends we choose a different period or branch of service for the following summer, it kept things popping sourcing and collecting ready for the next year's display.

General Apathy

Thought you'd like seeing some more pictures of progress on the museum Jeep...

Body work....

Hi Johan, thanks for the photo update of the work on the museum Jeep, perhaps you should test run it to Normandy this summer . . . . . . . . . .

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, thanks for the photo update of the work on the museum Jeep, perhaps you should test run it to Normandy this summer . . . . . . . . . .

That would be too tight for our schedule.... But it should be on the road in July though...

General Apathy

Back in my wild and wooley days, I had a beard and mustache for years. Not so much because I liked it, I just hated shaving even more. A few years ago while my lovely wife and daughter were out of town for a few weeks, I grew them back. At the airport picking them up, the very first thing they both said, in unison, and in stereo, at first sight of me was "Get rid of that thing!".

Mikie

Hi Mikie, strange thing beards, they are either loved or hated in equal parts by family, friends or lovers.

One time in the 80s when I was married and we had friends visiting I had a few days beard growth, we were all out in the garden and I went indoors to make coffee. While indoors for a laugh I shaved one half of my face clean exactly down below the centerline of my nose, when I went outdoors again with the coffee I ensured that I kept the unshaven part towards everyone and it went unnoticed until I then turned to place down the tray of coffee, we all had quite a laugh at the time, it was fun to see who was first to notice.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 14 2016

General Apathy

That would be too tight for our schedule.... But it should be on the road in July though...

Hi Johan, shame you won't get to Normandy in it, but keep adding some photos of it, it will also be nice to see how it's displayed in the museum.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 14 2016.

Hi All,

I have never had the chance to visit the battlefields of Europe. But since Ken is off doing what is most likely interesting stuff, I wonder if there would be any interest until his return in seeing some sideways Now and Then pictures from the other side of the world. Thanks to my wonderful wife and fantastic brother-in-law, I was able to visit some of the battle sites in the Philippines several years ago. Inspired by Ken's photos, I dug out the pictures I took and have been trying to locate the same spots in historic photos taken at the time. This is backwards from Ken's technique, and a whole lot more less likely to succeed. So here is the first one, the invasion beach at Palo, Leyte Island October 20, 1944. Now I know what they mean when they say MacArthur was larger than life.

post-2687-0-47034700-1463592794.jpg

post-2687-0-30299300-1463592822.jpg

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, shame you won't get to Normandy in it, but keep adding some photos of it...

Well , the dash is starting to look the part again...

post-92-0-07399100-1463773477.jpg

Well , the dash is starting to look the part again...

Yes, it is starting to look "dashing". Hope you will pardon my ignorance, but if you are going to post these pictures, I may have a question for you once in a while. What are those 2 things above and on either side of the large gauge? I've never had the chance to really look over a jeep like this. Thanks!

Mikie

Johan Willaert

They are the housings for the panel lights... Both hold a small bulb which lights the speedo and other gauges through a narrow slit on the underside of the tubes...

When the headlights are switched on through the rotary switch on the left, the panel lights can be turned on through the small knob swith to the left of the gauges...

Gauges around the speedo are fuel, amperes, temperature and oil pressure; there are choke and throttle cables to the left and right of the main ignition toggle switch... The handle on the right is for the parking brake

The jeep looks great! You should start a thread just on your restoration. I love to watch the progress from beginning to end.

Thanks for posting the pics....Kat

Yes, it is starting to look "dashing". Hope you will pardon my ignorance, but if you are going to post these pictures, I may have a question for you once in a while. What are those 2 things above and on either side of the large gauge? I've never had the chance to really look over a jeep like this. Thanks!

Mikie

They are lights for the dash/gauges.

General Apathy

Jeep, Jeep, Jeep....

Hi everyone, apologies for being missing, really just keeping my head above water presently, so busy. ? ?

Johan, Jeep looks great, pleased for you that it's getting closer to finished.

Enjoy. It's old, but still worth doing it again, hope it works

http://biggeekdad.com/2014/09/john-wayne-1970/#.VCHJXVfNNJ8.email

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 31 2016

For those of you in Normandy for the anniversary, I hope you all have a great time. Take and post lots of pictures for those of us who will only be there in spirit.

Mikie

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

So Keneth. Has the party started yet???

Hi everyone, yes the party started about six weeks ago, been mayhem ever since, this is just a quick dash in and out again and will try to catch up with posts from everyone when I am back to normal.

Managed to see Johan and his cutting crew for about two hours last week, sadly couldn't make it to the annual meal with them as in several previous years.

Dashing back out again now as I have an 05.30 start in the morning much to do before my sister and husband arrive the following morning at 04.00 for two weeks staying with me, or as I like to call it ' my annual general inspection '

So here's the link to the military vehicle parade through Carentan town centre last Sunday afternoon 5th June, I'm in there somewhere . . . . . . . . . Over a hundred and thirty vehicles.

> > > Put the link in twice, but it doesn't show up when posted . . . . .??????? Perhaps I can send to Rusty Canteen and he can add it for me.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 12. 2016.