Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Wow....I remember just about all of those groups and songs. Really brings back some memories but the bad thing is...makes me realize how old I'm getting!

Hi Thomas, I was just trawling through some photo files looking for images I could add to the blog that I might have overlood, when I saw spotted a shot of my old dog ' Pups ', remembering the epitaph to your dog that you have as a post-script then I wondered if you had ever seen my last dog.

here's ' Pups ' on his morning walk the day that he died . . . . . . . . love and fond memories survive

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2016.

post-344-0-59888700-1461593969.jpg

General Apathy

Ken,

Wonderful pictures and stories! If you ever wrote a memoir, it would be a best seller. You have experienced and seen more in your lifetime than most people.

I have been very busy lately and haven't had much time to post responses but I do ALWAYS read your thread. Thank you so much for ALL you do in preserving history and the memories.

...Kat

Hi Kat, pleased to have you join us as always, we all have overriding schedules at one time or another, but jump on in anytime you can

Thankfully I have enjoyed a full and packed life, and that also includes the twinges of sadness that impose upon everyone's lives.

Apologies that I cannot do a comparison shot of this one, without the landing craft there, then there isn't much to relate to, all the old sunken ships have gone now as well, there's just the tip of one out in the bay at really low tide

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2015.

post-344-0-82609000-1461595011.jpg

Hi Thomas, I was just trawling through some photo files looking for images I could add to the blog that I might have overlood, when I saw spotted a shot of my old dog ' Pups ', remembering the epitaph to your dog that you have as a post-script then I wondered if you had ever seen my last dog.

here's ' Pups ' on his morning walk the day that he died . . . . . . . . love and fond memories survive

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2016.

No, never saw that photo before so thanks for sharing it. He was a good looking guy for sure.

General Apathy

Utah beach abandoned LVT vehicles 1945 . . . . . . .

Hopefully this is the first time I have posted this photograph after nine years and nine thousand posts its difficult remembering what I have posted, I think I may have posted another shot but from a slightly different angle.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 26 2016.

post-344-0-90891700-1461625312.jpg

General Apathy

Utah beach the last remaining hulk to be seen in the bay . . . . . .

Normally there is only a couple of feet of this hulk to be seen at low tide, but in 2014 at a particularly low moon tide far more of this rotting hulk was to be seen, I think in eight years living here this is the most of it I have ever seen.

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 26 2106.

post-344-0-86379600-1461625851.png

Ken,

Like a few other forum members said. This is one great topic. And many of us can see stuff that we will probably never see in person. Thank you very much for sharing all these photos and stories.

It really makes the forum that much better

Dave

General Apathy

Ken,

Like a few other forum members said. This is one great topic. And many of us can see stuff that we will probably never see in person. Thank you very much for sharing all these photos and stories.

It really makes the forum that much better

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the comment and I am pleased that I can possibly bring to the forum shots of Normandy that otherwise members may not get to see. ^_^

or looking at it another way, it might encourage members to come here to see . . . . . . . . . :P

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, April 26 2016.

General Apathy

Is there a way to determine what ship that is? Would that have been part of the artificial harbor?

Hi Sundance, from as close as I can actually get to this standing on the beach it does have the appearance and color of concrete, also I would say that it has lasted very well which steel wouldn't have done over seventy years submerged in salt water.

Ken

Thats quite the wreckage.Im guessing the high tide mark is the white-ish line on the left upper end? Must be fairy deep there off the beach.Really amazing to see the hull.

Do they allow much civilian boating in the beach areas or is there still to much debris to allow water craft along the shoreline close in?

General Apathy

In the words of Monty Python . . . . and now for something completely different . . .

while posting a couple of the recent photographs I had concern as to whether I had ever posted them before, however I feel pretty confident that I have never posted this before . . . . . . well hopefully and fingers crossed.

This is titled in my files ' lewis, parachute-fail, Arnhem 1981 ' landing badly on my rear I was taken to Arnhem hospital and this is an X-Ray of my spine it might be possible to read at the top right 81 as the date, and in the bottom right corner Arnhem.

boys with toys and their military hobbies. :D

post-344-0-19370200-1461632575.jpg

General Apathy

Ken

Thats quite the wreckage.Im guessing the high tide mark is the white-ish line on the left upper end? Must be fairy deep there off the beach.Really amazing to see the hull.

Do they allow much civilian boating in the beach areas or is there still to much debris to allow water craft along the shoreline close in?

Hi Ron, you have assessed the photo very well, that is the white line across the front left which is normal tide levels, this was an exceptional low tide.

the beach and the sea don't really attract people in the way that normal vacation beaches would do so. I think late 50's and early 60's commercial divers were paid to clear underwater debris as much as possible. One of the divers opened a small museum behind the town of Port en Bessin displaying a lot of what he salvaged from the waters, this includes several models of tank.

The Meatcan

Ken, I'm getting caught up here again and wondering if you will refurbish your latest shoebox find fuel can to use with your jeep project?

Super neat pix of Utah beach too! Keep up the fine work, sir!

Terry

In the words of Monty Python . . . . and now for something completely different . . .

while posting a couple of the recent photographs I had concern as to whether I had ever posted them before, however I feel pretty confident that I have never posted this before . . . . . . well hopefully and fingers crossed.

This is titled in my files ' lewis, parachute-fail, Arnhem 1981 ' landing badly on my rear I was taken to Arnhem hospital and this is an X-Ray of my spine it might be possible to read at the top right 81 as the date, and in the bottom right corner Arnhem.

boys with toys and their military hobbies. :D

Good to see you are in one piece after your parachute jump.Hope you weren't using a dusty old US military surplus chute from Atlanta Army Navy. ..:)

Amazing to see how the sand is filling in around the LVT's in the photo and the corrosion setting in from the salt air already in 1945.

I'm not too fond of heights. My hat is off to anyone who jumps out of an airplane. The falling doesn't bother me so much as the sudden stop at the end. Hope there is no Then and Now of that X-ray. Reminds me of the time a coworker took a vacation in Greece. She really didn't have much of a clue about history. She was showing me her photos when I spotted one of the famous Lion Gate. She pointed at it and said "I tripped and fell down right there". I immediately said "The Fall of Mycenae!".

General Apathy

Ken, I'm getting caught up here again and wondering if you will refurbish your latest shoebox find fuel can to use with your jeep project?

Super neat pix of Utah beach too! Keep up the fine work, sir!

Terry

Hi Terry, good to hear from you again, I shall be using a nice condition 1939 ' captured ' German can on the rear of the Jeep, I showed an image of it a few pages back.

pleased you enjoyed the Utah beach photos.

OOpps, added the wrong photo here, and the loader doesn't want to delete it, anyway it's a great shot, enjoy :love:

post-344-0-16614600-1461659956.jpg

The Meatcan

Hi Terry, good to hear from you again, I shall be using a nice condition 1939 ' captured ' German can on the rear of the Jeep, I showed an image of it a few pages back.

OOpps, added the wrong photo here, and the loader doesn't want to delete it, anyway it's a great shot, enjoy :love:

that is a very fine mistake!

General Apathy

Good to see you are in one piece after your parachute jump.Hope you weren't using a dusty old US military surplus chute from Atlanta Army Navy. .. :)

Hi Ron, well it certainly wasn't from Mr. Jack at Atlanta surplus ( that was a great place to go 1990s ), but it certainly was a dusty old US surplus chute . . . . . . . . I really wish some of my friends and family had taken photos of the large hematoma and extensive bruising . . . . . . . . A friend who later went on to become a para-medic trainer for the UK fire service said, if he had been a para-medic at the time he would not have laughed at my predicament, at the time friends treated it as a joke ' it's ok it's only lewis something else he's done '.

General Apathy

I'm not too fond of heights. My hat is off to anyone who jumps out of an airplane. The falling doesn't bother me so much as the sudden stop at the end. Hope there is no Then and Now of that X-ray. Reminds me of the time a coworker took a vacation in Greece. She really didn't have much of a clue about history. She was showing me her photos when I spotted one of the famous Lion Gate. She pointed at it and said "I tripped and fell down right there". I immediately said "The Fall of Mycenae!".

Hi Mikie, I think as I lay on the ground the thought suddenly hitting me ' this may have not been such a good idea as it was last night in the bar '. From that time on I have spent time each day laying on the floor doing back exercises, thankfully never had a days pain ever since. :)

That was quick thinking with the comment of the fall of Mycenae . . . . . . . :D

Norman D Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 26 2016.

General Apathy

that is a very fine mistake!

Terry, sometimes mistakes work out for the better . . . . . . . beats the pants off most of today's celebrities, oops I forgot most of today's celebrities do have their pants off . . . . . . . . . . :blush:

General Apathy

Forgotten photo find . . . . . . .

A month or so ago I was visiting a local retired British veteran, during WWII he was a co-pilot on Atlantic convoy protection operating Sunderland flying boats. During our conversation mention was made of an old pre-war airfield in the UK called Brooklands, it also was quite famous as a race track. I have several folders of original mostly unpublished photos of cars and races held there, I said I would find them out and show the veteran and his wife's brother who is interested.

Today I took time to look for the folders and also found other mislaid photos, this one attached has never been shown anywhere before, so this is a first time the image has been seen since it was taken on a French farm in the mid 70's. It shows two Jeep chassis, but what is really interesting is what appears to be the flat bottomed tank from an earlier version of the Jeep, a very desirable piece today with the current interest in pre production models.

post-344-0-58483300-1461695563.jpg

There is NOTHING wrong with that photo!!!

General Apathy

There is NOTHING wrong with that photo!!!

babes for sure . . . . . . . :blush:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, 26 April 2016