Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Yep, that was quite a time "back then" eh? I agree with you......I would not want to be born in these messed up days either. Those years were full of good times, good music, and good friends.

Hi T, golden days & halcyon days, halcyon days to be sure . . . . . . .

Love to see the old dog on your avatar . . . . . . . . I Had some good dogs as well in those golden days, those salad days of youth. ( William Shakespeare, Anthony and Cleopatra )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 21 2016.

The salad days of youths.Today's world is more like kayle and fruit salad.:-D

Im sure it was a blast jeeping with Robert and Jimmy and the boys...;-)

I was only about 7 when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. I don't remember the performance, but vividly remember my teenage girl cousins screaming thier heads off at the TV. I can forgive them, it was the Beatles, afterall. Now the teen girls do that for Bieber....shudder.

By the way, I've seen comments here and there about you and Zeppelin. Top of my list of greatest bands. Is there a Zep forum somewhere with your stories about them?

General Apathy

The salad days of youths.Today's world is more like kayle and fruit salad.:-D

Hi Ron, yes there were great times ' Jeeping ' with the band. . . . . . .

I once took Page and myself off-roading in the Jeep, I was a little wild in my youth and at one stage had the two opposing corner wheels off the ground and the Jeep rocking on the other two opposing wheels.

Page jumped out and ran several yards away stating he would only get back in when all four wheels were back on the ground.

When the first production Range Rovers came out on the road I recall Plant bought a white one and possibly number six off the production line. About two days after it arrived we all piled into the thing and headed to a pub on the riverside a few miles away. It had been raining that morning and there were little pools of surface water, as we drove along the engine cut out and we drifted to a halt, with us all very perplexed that a two day old ' Off Road ' see all - do all had come to a stop. It worked out when we looked in the engine that the spark plugs had hard Bakelite insulation covers and water from one of these little puddles had splashed up inside the loose fit Bakelite covers and stalled the engine. A quick wipe out with a piece of material and we had the thing fired up again and onto the pub. I have a long held dislike for the early Range-Rovers when I evidenced a small splash of water bring one to a halt.

Some time later Bob had this same Range-Rover hand painted in the style of wooden planks if I recall in two separate tones, and his feather in a circle symbol painted on the engine hood, it did look magnificent, wish I had taken photos, no digital or camera-phones in those days or I could have been a millionaire the private access I had at the time.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 22 2106.

General Apathy

I was only about 7 when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. I don't remember the performance, but vividly remember my teenage girl cousins screaming thier heads off at the TV. I can forgive them, it was the Beatles, afterall. Now the teen girls do that for Bieber....shudder.

By the way, I've seen comments here and there about you and Zeppelin. Top of my list of greatest bands. Is there a Zep forum somewhere with your stories about them?

Ni Mikie, four or five years back I did post some stuff on a forum in response to someone's questions, however I can't recall the forum, I think I signed on as Strider or Stryder which was the name of Bobs dog. I have not been on there since I posted some details answering the questions asked, can't recall now what they were.

sorry not a very good shot of Bob and Strider, it was taken on an old pocket camera forty years ago.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 23 2016.

post-344-0-87509900-1461412083.png

General Apathy

If you ever write a memoir, I will buy a copy!

Hi Mikie, wish I had time to sit down and write a memoir, personally it's been fun, maybe that should be the title.

attached are two photos of the signed album the band gave me on my 21st birthday.

post-344-0-01864000-1461446570.jpg

post-344-0-07481500-1461446611.jpg

American Graffiti

Hi Ken,

Great then & nows again as usual, thanks for taking the time out to find these

As for Page and Plant.. wow, very jealous

I know a friend who recalled seeing Jimmy once asleep in the back of a Land Rover on the King's Road, sometime in the 70s?

Great recollections, thanks

AG

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Great then & nows again as usual, thanks for taking the time out to find these

As for Page and Plant.. wow, very jealous

I know a friend who recalled seeing Jimmy once asleep in the back of a Land Rover on the King's Road, sometime in the 70s?

Great recollections, thanks

AG

Hi AG, could very well be that Jimmy was asleep in a vehicle on the Kings Road in the 70s, just across the road in Cheyne walk Mick Jagger lived at 48 and Richards lived at Number 3 if I recall, party days . . . . . . . .

Thanks for comment on the Then & Now shots, always pleasing when someone enjoys them.

Norman D Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2016.

General Apathy

Back to a military memorabilia . . . . . . . . . .

When Bob moved into his farm I think it was somewhere between 1st and 2nd albums there was a very large ancient farmhouse a field away, both properties were all one farm many years before. The old farmer was a fantastic individual, he was immediately friendly and no signs of any dislike for all us long haired people who occupied the property next door. He had fought at Gallipoli in WWI and I found him to have a great sense of humour, happy and willing to talk.

Sadly when he died I took a dirt path between the two properties to take a look at his farm for what might possibly be the last time if it were to be sold to new people. Anyway I can't recall if he had distant family or not but someone had been into the house and every possession was outside thrown in a heap ready for a bonfire. There were tables, chairs and furniture out there possibly dating back to Tudor days around the 1500 to 1600 hundreds, I left feeling saddened that this man I had got to know, a farmer, a soldier who fought at Gallipoli, a husband, possibly a father, his life had become a bonfire . . . . .

I have his two WWI medals and hand scribbled notes of his and his brothers enlistment, training, travel and shipment to Gallipoli, at some stage I should think about contacting his old regimental museum and donating these items.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2016.

post-344-0-90565800-1461451705.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ron, I forgot to mention, Bonham had several cars and motorcycles. One day he arrived at the farm in his Model T bucket hot-rod, someone else arrived from London in a 67 Corvette, I recall the Vette had two lift out roof panels which were packed in the trunk. John took an instant interest in the Corvette and inside half an hour John had persuaded the owner to do a swop for the T bucket, and the guy departed back to London in the T bucket and John kept the Corvette. ;)

What was all so funny about this at the time, the stable of cars that john owned, included a Rolls-Royce, a couple of hot-rods, a Jenson-Ferguson 4 x 4, a few normal run around's, couple of Harleys and now a Corvette, he had never passed a test and had no license . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:B)

American Graffiti

Incredible stories, music AND militaria, couldn't get better.

Very poignant story about the old farmer, such history those old boys lived through and to then have their lives possessions thrown away. I always find it incredible how some people value nothing.

Great you got his medals, and that one day they might go home so to speak.

Could listen to Zep farm stories all day long.

Where was all this, by the way, Wales?

Sorry if this is sidetracking the Normandy element :blush:

AG

General Apathy

Incredible stories, music AND militaria, couldn't get better.

Very poignant story about the old farmer, such history those old boys lived through and to then have their lives possessions thrown away. I always find it incredible how some people value nothing.

Great you got his medals, and that one day they might go home so to speak.

Could listen to Zep farm stories all day long.

Where was all this, by the way, Wales?

Sorry if this is sidetracking the Normandy element :blush:

AG

Hi AG, no the farm in Wales at the time was a farm used for rest and writing in private, that was near Machynlleth in North Wales. As Plant no longer lives at his first farm it's not giving away any details to say it was in Blakeshall, Worcestershire. Bonham lived not too far away in Hagley Worcestershire, Bonham's first house was a pretty ordinary house in a residential street. until he moved in that is, one of his first modifications was to have a full English bar with bar hand-pumps for dispensing beer by the pint . . . . . . . . . and bar stools to sit at the bar.

Bonham's son Jason was an accomplished drummer around five years of age, it was a marvel to watch him perform. Take a look at him performing Stairway to Heaven at the 2012 Kennedy Center Honor Awards, hope this is the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJa99oo

General Apathy

For the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

went to a street flea market this morning ( Vide Grenier ) and bought this US water can originally painted OD, but it is over-painted with a USN grey color. The can is dated 1943 made by Arvin Noblitt-Sparks Ind. Inc. there is no corrosion on the outside bottom where they normally corrode from standing, appears to have been dry stored. The inside retains 99% of its original white / cream finish. Paid 25 euros for it.

Sadly the manufacture details are not too easy to see in this photograph

post-344-0-46083400-1461504354.jpg

General Apathy

For the Shoebox . . . . . . . .

here's a shot of the side of the can, note the splash of light green paint at the lower corner, this matches up to the same color shown in a 1943 manual I have on equipment marking.

post-344-0-29666900-1461504678.jpg

post-344-0-56646900-1461504727.jpg

General Apathy

Restoration find . . . . . .

A local friend is restoring a WWII Canadian Army Chevrolet, it's the model with the windscreen that slopes backwards, two seat cab with the engine virtually between the two seats. Last week when he was replacing the old cracked tires ( Tyres ) he found the rubber inner tubes were genuine Canadian army issue and dated 1943. it appears to have spent most of it's life standing as it only shows around 10,000 miles in seventy years..

Norman D Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 24 2016.

post-344-0-38396600-1461512010.jpg

Ken

Thanks for the " Shoe Box of Rock" stories.

Very sad situation about the old farm and the farmers possessions being bonfire fodder. I think people in the states fail to realize just how much more history there is in England and Europe.Just the other day was seeing where a Roman settlement was being excavated.

Im glad you are the keeper of the farmers medals.He is not forgotten and a pleasant reminder of your friendship.

Hi Mikie, wish I had time to sit down and write a memoir, personally it's been fun, maybe that should be the title.

attached are two photos of the signed album the band gave me on my 21st birthday.

Ken

That would be a several volume set if you did write a book.All the stories of those years seeking out and compiling surplus and the trips to Normandy and beyond.

I think of you as a visionary.You were able to see value in what most considered old surplus.You spent a life time of seeking it out.Now you are doing this with the "then and now" photographs.As with the surplus many of the places you show will be gone or changed for ever in the next 10-20 years.I know of no other photo record documenting these changes.The photos also give many of us the opportunity to see things "then and now" we would not have a chance to typically see.

Great find on the can.Always great to see what still turns up in your neighborhood. :D

American Graffiti

Agree with Ron 100%

This is the only chance lots of us have to see these things, plus the stories, plus the finds.. thank you.

Also I definitely would pre order Vol 1 of the memoirs!

Great gerry can too with the ID paint to boot.

AG

General Apathy

Ken

Now you are doing this with the "then and now" photographs.As with the surplus many of the places you show will be gone or changed for ever in the next 10-20 years.I know of no other photo record documenting these changes.The photos also give many of us the opportunity to see things "then and now" we would not have a chance to typically see.

Great find on the can.Always great to see what still turns up in your neighborhood. :D

Hi Ron, AG and Mikie, very kind of you to say that you enjoy the stuff you see and read here, it's nice to get interaction with forum friends, helps keep the blog bowling along.

Thanks again . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2016.

Ken

That would be a several volume set if you did write a book.All the stories of those years seeking out and compiling surplus and the trips to Normandy and beyond.

I think of you as a visionary.You were able to see value in what most considered old surplus.You spent a life time of seeking it out.Now you are doing this with the "then and now" photographs.As with the surplus many of the places you show will be gone or changed for ever in the next 10-20 years.I know of no other photo record documenting these changes.The photos also give many of us the opportunity to see things "then and now" we would not have a chance to typically see.

couldn't have said it better

It's tough to find the proper words to thank Ken. I'm of the generation where myself and my friends are all offspring of WWII vets. My Dad was 16th AD. One friends was 101st Airborne. Anothers was Marine.We all have our Dads Uniforms. Ken takes us to places we will never see. A walk through tour by pictures. I was lucky enough to trace my Dads footsteps when I visited my son when he was stationed in Germany. First thing in the day I'm online looking if Ken posted.

I'm also consider him a close personal friend which I have never met. Years ago we would have been called Pen Pals but we do it by E-mail now days

General Apathy

It's tough to find the proper words to thank Ken. I'm of the generation where myself and my friends are all offspring of WWII vets. My Dad was 16th AD. One friends was 101st Airborne. Anothers was Marine.We all have our Dads Uniforms. Ken takes us to places we will never see. A walk through tour by pictures. I was lucky enough to trace my Dads footsteps when I visited my son when he was stationed in Germany. First thing in the day I'm online looking if Ken posted.

I'm also consider him a close personal friend which I have never met. Years ago we would have been called Pen Pals but we do it by E-mail now days

Hi Robert, as usual thanks for the comment of looking on line each morning for a post, for todays post here's 1960's photo of one of the two LVT's that stood outside the museum at Utah beach for some sixty years as they gently corroded away from the sea air. About five or six years ago both of these disappeared from the site, one was to be seen in an engineering company in Carentan undergoing a slow replacement of the body, this is now back at the museum, but indoors now.

p.s. Robert seeing as you mentioned it here that we are friends, I hadn't wanted to raise the point previously but there was no fifty dollar note in my Christmas card a few months ago . . . . . . . . . . . . . B)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 25 2016.

post-344-0-42421400-1461592851.jpg

Ken,

Wonderful pictures and stories! If you ever wrote a memoir, it would be a best seller. You have experienced and seen more in your lifetime than most people.

I have been very busy lately and haven't had much time to post responses but I do ALWAYS read your thread. Thank you so much for ALL you do in preserving history and the memories.

...Kat