Norman D. Landing

bilko1

I am happy to report that the TARDIN (Time And Relative Dimensions in Normandy) has safely returned me to the present time. Last night I finally finished reading this thread from the beginning. It has been a fun and educational voyage. A big thank you to Ken and all of you who have contributed over the years. And now, on to the future of looking into the past.

Mikie

my wife said I should print out all the before and after photos and put them in an album. I don't think I could afford the paper and ink

General Apathy

Thanks Ken for the tip. I use a different additive, so will certainly see Steve Rivers about this product! Many thanks! Graham

(Great 'then and now' photos by the way!!)

Hi Graham, well we must look after these vehicles, after all we don't own them :huh:, we are only renting them and saving them for the next generation . . . . . . . . . ;)

For safety's sake I need to order five new tyres ( tires ) from Dallas.

However Jeeps are great fun while we have them . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 20 2016.

General Apathy

great pictures as usual

Hi Robert, thanks for your kind comment, pleased that you enjoy them.

General Apathy

I am happy to report that the TARDIN (Time And Relative Dimensions in Normandy) has safely returned me to the present time. Last night I finally finished reading this thread from the beginning. It has been a fun and educational voyage. A big thank you to Ken and all of you who have contributed over the years. And now, on to the future of looking into the past.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well a happy and a sad day for you, you do realise don't you, that once you reach the last page it always finishes with ' The End ', so that's what's happened it's the end . . . . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

' THE END '

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . . . .

a shot of surrendered German troops walking along behind a red cross flag ( this is now hidden behind the tank ).

Note the broken glass bottles set into the cement along the top of the wall, most of this was still to be seen when I did the comparison shot, which can be seen in the following post.

Ken,

I am so excited to see you posting again! I greatly missed you.

It is interesting about the broken glass on the top of the wall. I assume that was done to keep snipers from shooting over the wall. Correct?

...Kat

Just started browsing through this thread and wanted to say that the before and after photos are amazing. It's going to take a while but I plan on trying to make it all the way through.

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, well a happy and a sad day for you, you do realise don't you, that once you reach the last page it always finishes with ' The End ', so that's what's happened it's the end . . . . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

' THE END '

Hi Mikie, ok so lets not call it the end, now that you have caught up lets continue and call it ' Chapter II ' subtitled ' A further nine years ' B)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 20 2106.

General Apathy

my wife said I should print out all the before and after photos and put them in an album. I don't think I could afford the paper and ink

Hi Robert, well that's two of us pleading poverty, you can't afford the paper, I can't afford the petrol finding these spots . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

please send donations to . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Ken,

I am so excited to see you posting again! I greatly missed you.

It is interesting about the broken glass on the top of the wall. I assume that was done to keep snipers from shooting over the wall. Correct?

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for joining in again ;), the broken bottles cemented on to the top of the wall pre-dates WWII and is a fairly longstanding cheap way of protecting property from people scaling and climbing over the wall, not certain if this happens in America but it's certainly a European thing. It's possible that it's totally illegal here now, after-all someone innocently walking along the pavement might trip and fall onto the broken glass atop of the TEN FEET high wall and hurt themselves . . . . . :huh:

General Apathy

Just started browsing through this thread and wanted to say that the before and after photos are amazing. It's going to take a while but I plan on trying to make it all the way through.

Hello and welcome zcsmith, hope that you manage to get through and enjoy the last nine thousand posts, hopefully in the same way that ' mikie ' has just done, and joined us here where we are today . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Pleased that you found the ' Then & Now shots interesting, hope some of the other stuff will be as well.

Hi Mikie, ok so lets not call it the end, now that you have caught up lets continue and call it ' Chapter II ' subtitled ' A further nine years ' B)

Thanks, Ken for scaring the heck out of me with that earlier "The End" post. Hope it wasn't something I said...

A "further 9 years" sounds much better to me, and to a lot of other folks around here, I'm sure.

Hello and welcome zcsmith, hope that you manage to get through and enjoy the last nine thousand posts, hopefully in the same way that ' mikie ' has just done, and joined us here where we are today . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Pleased that you found the ' Then & Now shots interesting, hope some of the other stuff will be as well.

Hi zcsmith,

I was where you are now back in Jan when I first clicked on here. These is so much great stuff here to absorb and process. The time-warp aspect of going back to the beginning of this thread got me a bit confused from time to time, but that is my natural condition, so no biggie for me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I'm sure you will.

Mikie

General Apathy

Thanks, Ken for scaring the heck out of me with that earlier "The End" post. Hope it wasn't something I said...

A "further 9 years" sounds much better to me, and to a lot of other folks around here, I'm sure.

Hi Mikie, thankfully I'm not under contract for the next nine years, and lets hope there's enough stuff left to see for a further nine years . . . . . . ??

And thanks for commenting to zcsmith how much you have enjoyed playing catch-up of the previous nine years, and I wouldn't have been able to do that without the help of everyone that has contributed during that nine years. ;):lol:

General Apathy

from the shoebox . . . . . . . . .

Well it would be from the shoebox if I could find it, but next time I do it will be framed for sure, a classic movie with great actors and script . . . .

' Don't hit me with those negative waves ' ok I won't, I WILL find it . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 21 2016.

post-344-0-31023100-1461191370.jpg

A few posts back, Ken commented that he had not heard the phrase in a long time that I thought this thread was a "blast". That brings to mind a story about my personal signature catch-phrase that may be of interest to you British folks. A few years ago, when a few days at my new job one morning, a coworker asked how I was. I replied with my "Just ducky!". She looked at me for a few seconds with a look of surprise and shock for a few seconds. Then she burst out laughing, long and loud. When she caught her breath, she said that "Just ducky!" was a favorite phrase of her greatly beloved English Grandpa, who had passed away when she was a little girl. She had not thought of him or heard that phrase in many years,

but hearing me say that instantly brought back a flood of wonderful memories. She would start giggling every time I came in to the office for the next couple of weeks. It is my firm belief that if I can make at least one person smile each day, I've earned my place here for that day. Well, that one "Just ducky!" filled my quota for at least a month.

Mikie

General Apathy

A few posts back, Ken commented that he had not heard the phrase in a long time that I thought this thread was a "blast". That brings to mind a story about my personal signature catch-phrase that may be of interest to you British folks. A few years ago, when a few days at my new job one morning, a coworker asked how I was. I replied with my "Just ducky!". She looked at me for a few seconds with a look of surprise and shock for a few seconds. Then she burst out laughing, long and loud. When she caught her breath, she said that "Just ducky!" was a favorite phrase of her greatly beloved English Grandpa, who had passed away when she was a little girl. She had not thought of him or heard that phrase in many years,

but hearing me say that instantly brought back a flood of wonderful memories. She would start giggling every time I came in to the office for the next couple of weeks. It is my firm belief that if I can make at least one person smile each day, I've earned my place here for that day. Well, that one "Just ducky!" filled my quota for at least a month.

Mikie

Hahahaa Mikie, appears your not the only one to be using that phrase, according to the BBC Anjelino Jolie used something akin to it in this report . . . . . .

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-30104871

General Apathy

.From Youtube . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nostalgic tunes of the 60s

Today I had a lot of paperwork and detail to catch up on and thought I would like some background music whilst I was working, I googled Youtube 1960s stuff, and was surprised to find a great site for what I wanted by someone called ' Top40bill' he has compiled hits for every year of the 60s.

I started with 1965 and let the years flow upwards form there, there's a few seconds of each tune with a photo of that band ( amazed where he got all the band photos from ), it almost makes a good quiz trying to guess the band from the photo, the name of the band and the title then appear.

I'm up to 1968 presently so here's the link for the first of five compilations for 68, look on the right side column and you can go forward or back in years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyLJwNTHHA

Wow....I remember just about all of those groups and songs. Really brings back some memories but the bad thing is...makes me realize how old I'm getting!

I've been to that site. It's really great. By the strangest coincidence, here is today's Pearls Before Swine comic strip by Stephan Pastis. This is my favorite comic strip.

post-2687-0-64020200-1461263370.jpg

General Apathy

Wow....I remember just about all of those groups and songs. Really brings back some memories but the bad thing is...makes me realize how old I'm getting!

Well that's you and me both brother, good to hear from you again, but the good thing from my point of view is, I lived those years, I saw those bands, I heard that change in the world of music, and many other things, want to be born again now, no thanks, in the words of one old song ' thanks for the memories '.

There were Hollywood stars then, there were real heroes, real medal winners, not celebrities known for fake body parts, or football ' heroes ', there you go I'm sounding like an old man . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

I've been to that site. It's really great. By the strangest coincidence, here is today's Pearls Before Swine comic strip by Stephan Pastis. This is my favorite comic strip.

Hi Mikie, how funny that you mention ' Pearls Before Swine ', there was an American band in the late 60s with that same name ' Pearls Before Swine ', here is a link to one of their pieces recorded in 1968 and using the prior recording of the sound of a bugle sounded by Trooper Landfrey at the charge of the Light Brigade in 1854 . . .

Well that's you and me both brother, good to hear from you again, but the good thing from my point of view is, I lived those years, I saw those bands, I heard that change in the world of music, and many other things, want to be born again now, no thanks, in the words of one old song ' thanks for the memories '.

There were Hollywood stars then, there were real heroes, real medal winners, not celebrities known for fake body parts, or football ' heroes ', there you go I'm sounding like an old man . . . . . . . . .

Yep, that was quite a time "back then" eh? I agree with you......I would not want to be born in these messed up days either. Those years were full of good times, good music, and good friends.