Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hello,

Thanks to several posters, I did a get bit of education in select English terms, including char, wad and khaki. A relatively new burger chain here has a most excellent signature burger called the Char (as on charcoal broiled). So the whole thing is making me crave one of these forbidden delights. On more recent topics, I LOVE the 221-B lamp! And in the photo a few back, did you manage to not char the jeep too badly?

Hi Ken,

Great before and after comparisons as always.

You have to wonder what road construction crews find when they dig a road bed. :blink: Hopefully nothing too rare anyway!

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

Hello,

Thanks to several posters, I did a get bit of education in select English terms, including char, wad and khaki. A relatively new burger chain here has a most excellent signature burger called the Char (as on charcoal broiled). So the whole thing is making me crave one of these forbidden delights. On more recent topics, I LOVE the 221-B lamp! And in the photo a few back, did you manage to not char the jeep too badly?

Hi mikie, mmmmhh strange language English and strange people as well the Brits, thank goodness my fathers mother was American . . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 29 2016.

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Great before and after comparisons as always.

You have to wonder what road construction crews find when they dig a road bed. :blink: Hopefully nothing too rare anyway!

Regards,

RC

Hi RC, thanks for comps on the photos, back in June 2008 road workers found and recovered an M-3 Stuart tank, but I don't know what happened to it after that.

Sorry I can't past a link but try this in your browser . Second world war U.S. tank discovered by road workers under French town ' it was reported in the Daily Mail 4 June 2008.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 29 2106.

Hi RC, thanks for comps on the photos, back in June 2008 road workers found and recovered an M-3 Stuart tank, but I don't know what happened to it after that.

Sorry I can't past a link but try this in your browser . Second world war U.S. tank discovered by road workers under French town ' it was reported in the Daily Mail 4 June 2008.

Ken,

Here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024282/Second-World-War-U-S-tank-discovered-road-workers-French-town.html

...Kat

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

You could always trade in the British box for an almost identical USN ammunition box, and if anyone asks why a navy ammo box is on an army jeep, just tell them it was appropriated from the Normandy beachead..

Are you running the engine with a PCV set-up into the intake manifold, or the earlier downdraft pipe out of the valve cover?

Regards,

RC

Hi RC, this Jeep is running with a PCV into the manifold, eight years ago I sold a Willys slat-grill Jeep and that had a lot of earlier designs to it, including the downdraft pipe, earlier short air filter, straight tube oil dipstick, no glovebox, Willys pressed into the rear panel and much much more.

Back to this Jeep as Johan had spotted I had been emergency running it from a plastic petrol can as the fuel in the gas-tank was eight years old, it was also totally congealed in both the tank and the petrol pipe. I spent today dismounting the tank and the petrol pipe and cleaning all the congealed ' tar ' out of the tank and pipe.

Safety announcement here ' DO NOT USE NAKED FLAMES WHEN TRYING TO CLEAN OUT TANKS / JUST VAPOUR FUMES ALONE WILL EXPLODE A FUEL TANK '.

So tomorrow I am ready to re-install the tank and fuel pipe. Last week when I first got the engine running again I did initially use a two stroke lawn mower mixture hoping that the small amount of two stroke oil in the fuel would lubricate all moving parts again, it does seem to have helped the dry engine and possibly the carburettor jets and not impeded ignition.

Tomorrow I shall order all new brake cylinders, flexi pipes, brake shoes, and get the braking system back in order, pleased with todays progress.

General Apathy

Hi Kat, thank you for finding the link and posting it . . . . ;)

The person in the photos wearing the coveralls with ' Deminage ' on the rear is a member of the organisation that deals with all unexploded ordnance found or reported.

Hi Ken,

The Stuart tank is still in restoration. Here is link. (The article is in French).

http://www.lechorepublicain.fr/eure-et-loir/actualite/2012/05/22/le-char-m5-stuart-retrouve-rue-des-perriers-en-2008-est-toujours-en-restauration-au-cm-101_1173218.html

Dan.

General Apathy

Tonight's laugh. . . . . . . . .

Well I was just amused to see a little piece of my sewing handiwork appear here on the forum, been so long ago that I did this I had almost forgotten them, this topic is in the women's services forum.

Repro Wac hobby hat

Started by phil.co1, Today, 12:25 PM

General Apathy

Hi Dan, many thanks for dropping in again and adding the link to this tank story, interesting for myself and forum members to keep up with it's story

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 29. 2016.

General Apathy

Now that's just a little too strange. I just opened Dan's link to the tank article and the very first words I see are "Le char" !!!

Hi Mikie, well here's further information for you in the English language you can also have a Char-Woman who cleans house or property for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charwoman#/issues

RustyCanteen

Hi Ken,

You have to wonder where the turret went, or if it was stripped for parts by rear echelon repair parties? Regardless it is sure an unusual find! Dan's link to the restoration was interesting too.

Regards,

RC

Hi Kat,

Thank you for finding the link; I appreciate seeing it.

Regards,

RC

Hi RC, this Jeep is running with a PCV into the manifold, eight years ago I sold a Willys slat-grill Jeep and that had a lot of earlier designs to it, including the downdraft pipe, earlier short air filter, straight tube oil dipstick, no glovebox, Willys pressed into the rear panel and much much more.

Back to this Jeep as Johan had spotted I had been emergency running it from a plastic petrol can as the fuel in the gas-tank was eight years old, it was also totally congealed in both the tank and the petrol pipe. I spent today dismounting the tank and the petrol pipe and cleaning all the congealed ' tar ' out of the tank and pipe.

Safety announcement here ' DO NOT USE NAKED FLAMES WHEN TRYING TO CLEAN OUT TANKS / JUST VAPOUR FUMES ALONE WILL EXPLODE A FUEL TANK '.

So tomorrow I am ready to re-install the tank and fuel pipe. Last week when I first got the engine running again I did initially use a two stroke lawn mower mixture hoping that the small amount of two stroke oil in the fuel would lubricate all moving parts again, it does seem to have helped the dry engine and possibly the carburettor jets and not impeded ignition.

Tomorrow I shall order all new brake cylinders, flexi pipes, brake shoes, and get the braking system back in order, pleased with todays progress.

Hi Ken,

Don't you wish you had kept the slat-grill willys now? You can never have too many. ;)

I was curious when you posted the photos if you had any problems with the carburetor, but I am happy to hear it worked without problem. Is it still the old Carter, or does it have a Solex installed?

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Don't you wish you had kept the slat-grill willys now? You can never have too many. ;)

I was curious when you posted the photos if you had any problems with the carburetor, but I am happy to hear it worked without problem. Is it still the old Carter, or does it have a Solex installed?

Regards,

RC

Hi RC, here's a shot of the slat-grill after the friend I sold it to restored it. . . . . . . back in the day I thought the same things as you, one can never have too many Jeeps. :o

I have only ever run Jeeps with Carter carburettors, never had one with a Solex, the Carter just looks right as it should.

Cleaning out the Jeep today I found this shattered part of a previous battery under the rear seat, must have landed there some years ago when the battery at that time exploded whilst charging it. As I removed one of the charger clips a spark occurred and caught the expanded fumes from the charged battery. ( this was the great worry in WWII submarines when charging the huge batteries used on board )

Sadly no more work on the Jeep again until next Monday, multitude of other chores to get done first.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 1 2016.

post-344-0-43080400-1456868606.jpg

Is this a hint that there is a WWII submarine in the shoebox?

Hope only the battery had chunks like that removed when it went.

Mikie

Mikie

If anyone ever had a sub in their shoebox, it would definitely be Ken! :lol:

RustyCanteen

Hi RC, here's a shot of the slat-grill after the friend I sold it to restored it. . . . . . . back in the day I thought the same things as you, one can never have too many Jeeps. :o

I have only ever run Jeeps with Carter carburettors, never had one with a Solex, the Carter just looks right as it should.

Cleaning out the Jeep today I found this shattered part of a previous battery under the rear seat, must have landed there some years ago when the battery at that time exploded whilst charging it. As I removed one of the charger clips a spark occurred and caught the expanded fumes from the charged battery. ( this was the great worry in WWII submarines when charging the huge batteries used on board )

Sadly no more work on the Jeep again until next Monday, multitude of other chores to get done first.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 1 2016.

Hi Ken,

Glad you weren't injured by the battery! It's amazing sometimes what can hide in open sight and is only rediscovered years later. Even that little piece had a story to tell.

Regards,

RC

PS - I don't think the slat jeep photo posted?

General Apathy

Hope only the battery had chunks like that removed when it went.

Mikie

hi mikie, thankfully I was wearing glasses at the time that the battery exploded within arms length of my face. Sadly I have now realised the effect battery acid has had to all the paintwork in the engine bay . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 2 2016.

post-344-0-32718500-1456916076.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Glad you weren't injured by the battery! It's amazing sometimes what can hide in open sight and is only rediscovered years later. Even that little piece had a story to tell.

Regards,

RC

PS - I don't think the slat jeep photo posted?

Hi RC, thanks, here is the missing photo of the slat-grill, the friend who bought it did a complete restoration of it.

post-344-0-90471100-1456916289.jpg

General Apathy

If anyone ever had a sub in their shoebox, it would definitely be Ken! :lol:

Hi Kat, hahhaaa I might have, but if I did, it's sunk without trace . . . . . . . . :lol:

Hi Ken. Re the previous comments about British terminology ( Char, Khaki etc) lots of words still in use today originated in the days of the great British Empire of the 19th early 20th centuries, particularly from "The Jewel in the Crown"...ie India. Many British people lived or served in India and when they returned to "Blighty" (as they affectionately called Britain) they brought with them indigenous words which subsequently became integrated into the English language. "Shampoo" and "bungalow" are two others still widely used today. That aspect of lexicography is fascinating!

General Apathy

Hi Ken. Re the previous comments about British terminology ( Char, Khaki etc) lots of words still in use today originated in the days of the great British Empire of the 19th early 20th centuries, particularly from "The Jewel in the Crown"...ie India. Many British people lived or served in India and when they returned to "Blighty" (as they affectionately called Britain) they brought with them indigenous words which subsequently became integrated into the English language. "Shampoo" and "bungalow" are two others still widely used today. That aspect of lexicography is fascinating!

Hello dear boy, welcome back from your extended vacation, I think you nipped out for a newspaper and have been AWOL ever since . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Good to have you back with your wit, charm, persona, natural talents, debonair and suave looks, character, and gracious contributions and information to the forum here. ;)

chin-chin ole man

Hi RC, thanks, here is the missing photo of the slat-grill, the friend who bought it did a complete restoration of it.

what a great looking vehicle

Hello dear boy, welcome back from your extended vacation, I think you nipped out for a newspaper and have been AWOL ever since . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Good to have you back with your wit, charm, persona, natural talents, debonair and suave looks, character, and gracious contributions and information to the forum here. ;)

chin-chin ole man

Gosh, gee, shucks.....!! :rolleyes: