Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, yes thank you, you will probably get to see the spot when your here in the summer. ^_^

I think I know where this is... Must be the bridge you cross before turning right towards Tina and Alan's place, no?

General Apathy

Normandy Fire Water or better know as Ken's Back Yard Brew....

Hi Ron, I don't have it to hand at present but I do have a photograph dating back to the early 1980s of a wartime US Dodge weapons carrier with a travelling still on the rear body, powered by propane bottles which went from farm to farm distilling the farmers squeezed apple juice, thereby making Calvados for each farmer.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2016.

General Apathy

Thanks Ken for such an enjoyable thread!

Hi Beast, and thanks to you for joining in with comment throughout our gaining those figures. . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Wow! it will soon be a million

Hi David, and thanks to you also, for helping us get up to those figures . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

All worth it.

I do like coming here to read about the latest news on the Normandy "front".

Erwin

Hi Erwin, and you also have been along on the long ride from the beginning in 2007, thanks . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Howdy,

I'm up to around post 3750 or so...still a ways to go. I do keep up on current posts as well as the older ones. Gets my brain mixed up sometimes, but confusion is my natural state, so no big deal.

Holmes and Watson are my favorite fictional characters, by the way, so I was praising your detective skills more than you may have realized. Can't say that I've ever heard a smutty Holmes joke before.

Ni Mikie, well thanks, that's interesting that Sherlock Holmes is a firm favourite with you, and possibly two of the finest actors to play these parts were Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce during the 1940s.

I am pleased to say that Sherlock Holmes found the absolute answer to that eternal question that gets raised all the time ' why do men stare at women's breasts ', and the answer to that will be given in the following post featuring Sherlock Holmes looking into it ( or should it be ' at them ' not sure which is grammatically correct ) :unsure:

General Apathy

And the answer is elementary my dear Watson, if women will go walking around wearing sweaters with arrows pointing ' at them ', from an episode of Sherlock Holmes 1945.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2106.

post-344-0-36288600-1456432165.jpg

General Apathy

Ken,

Very interesting. Since part of the interior explosive charge is still there, is this unexploded ordinance that could still explode?

,,,Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your concern, I think this maybe a slightly different scenario to anything found buried in a field. In this case the shell has been in the sea for seventy years, the shell is open and not a contained compound and there is no igniter. As for Me personally I wouldn't dream of handling a field find . . . . . . . . cluck, cluck, cluck I is chicken :rolleyes:

General Apathy

I think I know where this is... Must be the bridge you cross before turning right towards Tina and Alan's place, no?

Johan, better get yourself a lottery ticket for Saturday night, your right on . . . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Ken, that is certainly a different sort of Holmes scene than the original Conan Doyle stories I've read! :o

Did THAT come from your shoebox???

Terry

Hi Terry, that photo has been on file with me for about two years waiting to be used in some shape or form and tonight came up trumps with Mikie mentioning that he is a fan of Sherlock Holmes.

That photo has nothing at all to do with the Holmes and Watson joke I mentioned previously, afraid that one can only be shared verbally, as it's all in the delivery at the end as it is with all jokes.

General Apathy

In the garden here today . . . . . . . . . . .

Well look what appeared in the garden today, will look familiar for many people I would believe . . . . . . . . :o

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2016.

post-344-0-31327400-1456438536.jpg

General Apathy

in the garden today . . . . . . . . . . .

And here is the culprit for those marks across the lawn, first time out in eight years, spent sometime cleaning the points and plugs, new 6 volt battery, some fresh petrol. The engine was not seized it turned with the hand crank, so I connected up the battery and it fired up, think the clutch plate was ' frozen ' to the flywheel, so that needed to be freed off.

If anyone else has a vehicle that's been laid up a while and the clutch plate has stuck to the flywheel then try this. Battery needs to be connected, but have the ignition off and the engine NOT running, put into third gear and engage the starter, this should flip the flywheel and the clutch plate will be held by the engaged gear, that should be sufficient torque to free the plate.

So here is the culprit . . . . . . . . . . . I'm pleased to say, running under it's own steam and topping out at 60 PSI oil pressure.

post-344-0-19111200-1456439319.jpg

General Apathy

In the garden today . . . . . . . . . . . .

And another shot of the grass killer, . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

post-344-0-31345200-1456439614.jpg

trying to back it into the BBQ shack????

Congrats on getting the jeep running. It's fantastic. Do you know any of your jeep's history? Sorry of you've covered this in posts I haven't gotten to yet. My neighbor is restoring a 1948 IH pickup truck. Every so often he gets the engine running. I love to hear that thing roar.

The old girl is looking right fetching there in the garden. :D Looks like shes right at home

Johan Willaert

Great to see the GPW outdoors after all these years... Are you running petrol from a can inside the body?

You really need to get rid of that ugly Brit Ammo Box on the rear fender... -_-

What framenumber is the Jeep?

Hi Terry, that photo has been on file with me for about two years waiting to be used in some shape or form and tonight came up trumps with Mikie mentioning that he is a fan of Sherlock Holmes.

That photo has nothing at all to do with the Holmes and Watson joke I mentioned previously, afraid that one can only be shared verbally, as it's all in the delivery at the end as it is with all jokes.

Glad I was able to set you up for you to spring that pic. I've been trying to come back with a witty reply, but I've got nothing. I'll blame it on the cold I have. Figures, the weather turns beautiful and I get a cold. But now I have a new reason to save my pennies for a trip to Normandy. To hear that joke!

Mikie

Hi Ken,

Hmm, the mysterious 'turf' monster appears quite appropriate in it's natural habitat. Hats off to getting it out there!

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

trying to back it into the BBQ shack????

Hi Robert, I think in fact it is just heading home after the party in the shack . . . . .. . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 26 2016.

General Apathy

Congrats on getting the jeep running. It's fantastic. Do you know any of your jeep's history? Sorry of you've covered this in posts I haven't gotten to yet. My neighbor is restoring a 1948 IH pickup truck. Every so often he gets the engine running. I love to hear that thing roar.

Hi mikie, the only history I have for the Jeep is that I bought it as a teenager forty-nine years ago.

I saw it advertised in a car section of a weekly magazine, it was about twenty miles from where I lived, I arranged to go and see it, the seller said it was pretty much in the condition he had bought it in a couple of years previously, he had basically repainted it and run it. He also showed me several genuine WWII workshop manuals for various US military vehicles, he worked at a car production plant and under new management they had cleared the technical library. The library had held a workshop manual for virtually any vehicle produced anywhere in the world prior to 1960 this covered military and civilian vehicles and all nationalities. He had rescued the US military manuals from the bonfire to which all of them had been destined for.

it seemed to be a bit of a wrench for him to be parting with the jeep, and he proffered the following story, his wife wanted new carpets for the house and he was having to sell the jeep to afford the new carpets, or she would be leaving him. We did a deal on the Jeep and I paid him and drove off in it, for the next two weeks or so the manuals kept coming to mind, and I thought that maybe I should have bought those at the same time, so I returned there to buy them

Story-line was, nice carpets, no wife, no Jeep, she had left him anyway after selling the Jeep... . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 26 2016.