Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken,

I was watching "Storming Normandy" on TV and saw this exact WWII doorway site on the film. It was very cool to see something on TV and recognize it from one of your "then and now" posts. You are better than TV!

....Kat

Hi Kat, very much a great big thank you for letting me know how you had seen this image and related it back to one of my ' Then & Now ' sequences here on the forum.

A few nights ago I was emailed a couple of photographs with a loose description of ' Chef du Pont area ', well it's close but they aren't actually Chef du Pont. I spent some time on this today and have yet to process the images, which I will do tomorrow and post afterwards, really enjoyed the time taken to tie the spot down, and will describe tomorrow.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 22 2016.

Hi Terry, I think this plaque on the dash of the Jeep should cover any eventualities . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 22 2016.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ken, I assume the shotgun in question is an appropriate Winchester trench gun from the shoebox?

Terry

General Apathy

Ken, I assume the shotgun in question is an appropriate Winchester trench gun from the shoebox?

Terry

Hi Terry, well wish it were, fraid it will have to be a catapult though, it's frowned upon over here to have metal pipes that nasty things come out the end of at fast speeds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :o

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 23 2016.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . .

This one I loved, I received a couple of photographs with a non-descript caption of ' Chef du Pont area ' below is the first of the two images. From the original we are looking for a road on the left, and noting the sign there is a bridge up ahead ( Pont ), there is a flooded field on the right, trees line the edge of the road and the flooded field, Also there is a small patch of land enough for this MP to make a small camo-parachute shelter.

The comparison shot will be in the following post

post-344-0-41977300-1456267285.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . . comparison

This is the same spot, and more evidence for it will be posted in following posts, it's not Chef du Pont but a causeway about three kilometres away.

post-344-0-72366600-1456267578.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . .

Apologies for the quality of the images one is seventy-two years old and my comparison is with a very small digital pocket camera and it was raining quite heavy at the time I took the comparison. So note the images have been marked with the letters A & B, below letter A is a house with chimneys at either end of the building and stand above the joining roof line. Below letter B is the tower of a church which identifies this spot as Beuzeville la Bastille.

The Jeeps lining the road are 82nd Airborne Jeeps and this unit captured the bridge ahead of the Jeeps at Beuzeville la Bastille.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 23 2106.

post-344-0-98566500-1456268985.jpg

post-344-0-78741200-1456269018.jpg

Supposed to hold drinking water, but could just as well be Normandy Fire Water aka Calvados....

Normandy Fire Water or better know as Ken's Back Yard Brew....

General Apathy

Great detective work! Sherlock Holmes has nothing on you!

Hi mikie, thanks for looking in on this, it appears that you may be reading this from both ends and working towards the middle, have you passed halfway yet.

Your mention of Sherlock Holmes reminds me that I have a great joke about him, but it's probably too smutty for the forum though.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2016.

General Apathy

Exactly! Ken's eye for detail is amazing....Kat

Hi Kat, thank you for your kind thoughts, I only wish I had the level of eyesight that I had 20 to 30 years ago.

Well here's something to look at, how many people would give this a second glance, is it anything worth looking at, the same item can be seen from a different angle in the following post.

post-344-0-33800700-1456356160.jpg

General Apathy

Exactly! Ken's eye for detail is amazing....Kat

Hi Kat, here's the second of the two photographs, this shows the same item from one end, it washed up out of the sea with incoming tides, it's a damaged artillery shell with part of the interior explosive charge still within it, there were other sections of the charge which fell out upon inspecting it.

As the outer face of the casing has corroded pieces of stone, shell, sand and wood have become attached to it.

Norman D. Landing< forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2016.

post-344-0-39582200-1456356733.jpg

General Apathy

Well thanks everyone, we just hit a Palindrome in numbers with views of this blog :huh:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 746,647 views . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks again for helping to get to such high number of views :rolleyes:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25 2106.

Well thanks everyone, we just hit a Palindrome in numbers with views of this blog :huh:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 746,647 views . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks Ken for such an enjoyable thread!

Wow! Soon it will be a million ;)

Howdy,

I'm up to around post 3750 or so...still a ways to go. I do keep up on current posts as well as the older ones. Gets my brain mixed up sometimes, but confusion is my natural state, so no big deal.

Holmes and Watson are my favorite fictional characters, by the way, so I was praising your detective skills more than you may have realized. Can't say that I've ever heard a smutty Holmes joke before.

General Apathy

Very nice Normandy photos, Ken

Hi David, thanks for compliment on the photos ;), there will be another photo to go along with the one I have already shown, and possibly some more detail to go along with it, but I possibly need to do this tomorrow evening.

General Apathy

Nice picture, ken! Great to see the MP keeping rations under the parachute shelter and using his helmet for cooking...

Hi Johan, yes thank you, you will probably get to see the spot when your here in the summer. ^_^

it's a damaged artillery shell with part of the interior explosive charge still within it, there were other sections of the charge which fell out upon inspecting it.

As the outer face of the casing has corroded pieces of stone, shell, sand and wood have become attached to it.

Norman D. Landing

Ken,

Very interesting. Since part of the interior explosive charge is still there, is this unexploded ordinance that could still explode?

,,,Kat

General Apathy

I'm just wondering what he's got in that jerrican.

Hi Mikie, I believe that all MPs are tea-total so it can only be water don't you think . . . . :P