Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

That should be a fun little project. Maybe not so little though...

Hi David, thanks, looking forward to working on it again.

' Happiness is a warm tool ( wrench / spanner ) in your hand ' ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 21 2016.

post-344-0-59352300-1456064967.jpg

Ken, Glad to see you're getting the Jeep running again. I restored my jeep around the same time and remember the challenges well of having to source out original parts bits and bobs that nobody was making repro back then. I sometimes wish I would have kept the Jeep but somehow taking a drive around here doesn't have the same appeal as taking a drive through Normandy

Tom Bowers

Johan Willaert

Looking forward to seeing progress on the old GPW, Ken... Hopefully it will be on the road in June...

We'll be starting our own GPW project shortly... Will be nice to get into Jeep work again...

Johan

No worries. I'd be out there exploring all the time if I lived there. Best wishes for the jeep project. Just throw us a bone when you can and we'll manage to get by somehow.

General Apathy

Ken, Glad to see you're getting the Jeep running again. I restored my jeep around the same time and remember the challenges well of having to source out original parts bits and bobs that nobody was making repro back then. I sometimes wish I would have kept the Jeep but somehow taking a drive around here doesn't have the same appeal as taking a drive through Normandy

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, good to hear from you again, I fully follow your comment of riding a Jeep around locally where you live doesn't have the same appeal as riding round in Normandy, that's the reason I know you head over this way every couple of years for your ' fix '.

take care and see you again next trip, attached photo to remind you of previous visits.

post-344-0-15228600-1456091724.jpg

General Apathy

Looking forward to seeing progress on the old GPW, Ken... Hopefully it will be on the road in June...

We'll be starting our own GPW project shortly... Will be nice to get into Jeep work again...

Johan

Hi Johan, good to hear that you are getting started on the local GPW for the museum, and any excess GPW parts then you have my address, all donations would be gratefully received . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

No worries. I'd be out there exploring all the time if I lived there. Best wishes for the jeep project. Just throw us a bone when you can and we'll manage to get by somehow.

Hi Mikie, thanks for the wishes on my Jeep work, not really a bone to toss you just a shot of my daughter on the Band of Brothers set whilst filming, that's been some time ago now, hopefully she will have fond memeories.

hope you get to Normandy yourself sometime and do some exploring . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 21 2016.

post-344-0-44514900-1456093719.jpg

Hi Mikie, thanks for the wishes on my Jeep work, not really a bone to toss you just a shot of my daughter on the Band of Brothers set whilst filming, that's been some time ago now, hopefully she will have fond memeories.

Ken,

Great picture of your daughter! I love the jeep! I can't wait to watch pictures of your progress on the jeep.

...Kat

Great pic of your daughter. Mine just turned 17 and I have been an utter failure in getting her interested in history or collecting. Well, when it comes to shoes and the latest fashions, she did inherit that kind of collecting genes from her mom.

General Apathy

Ken,

Great picture of your daughter! I love the jeep! I can't wait to watch pictures of your progress on the jeep.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks, my daughter did enjoy our time on set during film-work, I think it helped expand her horizons, knowledge and social interaction.

I had many wonderful times and trips in the Jeep and it was a great door opener to meeting interesting people and places, added another shot from the 1970s for you.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 22 2016.

post-344-0-25805900-1456129393.jpg

General Apathy

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, just running through some of my old photo files relating to trips that you came across for, I re-found this image of one of your fellow countrymen a good ole boy from Texas catching a few Zee's on the returning ferry after two weeks in the field in France. I beguiled a young lady on the ferry to loan me her bra and set the victim up much to the amusement of many other travellers on the ferry, do you recall this

In accordance with the rules of anonymity I have disguised his face, thereby saving his family and friends from any social disgrace.

post-344-0-04657800-1456132943.jpg

General Apathy

Great pic of your daughter. Mine just turned 17 and I have been an utter failure in getting her interested in history or collecting. Well, when it comes to shoes and the latest fashions, she did inherit that kind of collecting genes from her mom.

Hi mikie, thankfully my daughter just seemed to fall into being interested, she enjoyed all the rides in various WWII vehicles, the circle of friends she met, the weekends away, the large group meals we participated in, the many jokes and pranks that abounded amongst the fraternity.

She's now 24 and told me yesterday that she is looking forward to me putting the Jeep on the road again, and being able to ride around with me when she visits Normandy.

post-344-0-85595800-1456133802.jpg

Hi Tom, just running through some of my old photo files relating to trips that you came across for, I re-found this image of one of your fellow countrymen a good ole boy from Texas catching a few Zee's on the returning ferry after two weeks in the field in France. I beguiled a young lady on the ferry to loan me her bra and set the victim up much to the amusement of many other travellers on the ferry, do you recall this

In accordance with the rules of anonymity I have disguised his face, thereby saving his family and friends from any social disgrace.

You bet, that was legendary! Still hasn't forgotten, or Forgiven...LOL. He made the trip in 2014 though so I guess there aren't any hard feelings. Think he stayed awake on the ferry this time though/

I beguiled a young lady on the ferry to loan me her bra and set the victim up much to the amusement of many other travelers on the ferry

I know you are a smooth talker but how did you do accomplish this task? :lol: :lol:

Hi Ron, thank you for your thoughts on my Fort Benning cover, I have always valued it but sad that it's origins are unknown, be fun to know of any others out there.

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 21 2016.

Great T shirt...

General Apathy

Ken, I predict that you will have more attention than you may want when your daughter is riding with you in the Jeep!

Terry

Hi Terry, I think this plaque on the dash of the Jeep should cover any eventualities . . . . . . . . . .

post-344-0-83667200-1456174838.jpg

The set of steps in these photos I found whilst looking for the comparison of another image to be shown in a later post. This was very moving and emotional to be stood so close and looking at this set of steps where a man had sat down and slowly bled to death, it's not many times that you will see a full facial image of a dead soldier. Whilst the walls on either side of the steps have had renovation work done on them, then note the edge of the second step up below his feet, it has been cut-back on the lead edge.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 13 2014

Ken,

I was watching "Storming Normandy" on TV and saw this exact WWII doorway site on the film. It was very cool to see something on TV and recognize it from one of your "then and now" posts. You are better than TV!

....Kat

General Apathy

Great picture of Lauren, Ken! as good looking as ever!

Hi Johan, yes you are one of the friends that has seen her as she grew up, thanks for comment on her.

I was really pleased at Christmas when I visited her and her partner, one evening when Robbie and I were together without Lauren I was extremely pleased with the compliment he paid me when he said ' thank you for bringing up such a nice daughter, polite and with great social skills ' or words to that effect, what more could a parent desire to hear.

General Apathy

You bet, that was legendary! Still hasn't forgotten, or Forgiven...LOL. He made the trip in 2014 though so I guess there aren't any hard feelings. Think he stayed awake on the ferry this time though/

Hi Tom, pleased to hear that you recall it, just one of the merry japes performed though-out my lifetime, well one that was tame enough to be able to relate to here at least. :lol:

General Apathy

I know you are a smooth talker but how did you do accomplish this task? :lol: :lol:

Hi Kat, thank you for your kind accolade, to which I can only reply ' I couldn't possibly comment ' . . . . . . . :love:

General Apathy

Great T shirt . . ..

Hi Ron, thanks for comment on the T shirt, I bought a 506th veterans foot locker maybe fifteen years ago and there were three T shirts in the locker, below is the other design, the two 101 patches are just displayed on the shirt.

Norman D, Landing, forum Normandy Correspondent, February 22 2016.

post-344-0-35612000-1456179648.jpg

General Apathy

Like!

Hi Robert, again, thank you, you have seen a few other images of Lauren as she grew . . . . . . ;)