Norman D. Landing

bilko1

just checked after being busy the last few days. Love the post of old vehicles. If only had been smart enough to buy vehicles back in the 60s-70s when you could get them for junk prices. But then where could you have stored then. I used to buy old cars out of trees and barns and race then and use them in Demo Derbys. Stupid

hbtcoveralls

HI Ken,

What's New Years like in France and especially Normandy. What are the traditions and how do you observe the new year celebrations there

Tom Bowers

Hi Ken. As you know, Sian and I spent "Hogmanay" up in Edinburgh...we flew back on the night of January 1st. Just catching up on emails etc. So, we wish you a hearty "Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!" or "Bonne année!".

Ian ;)

post-8022-0-68378800-1451835925.jpg

RustyCanteen

Hi Ken!

I think the views speak for themselves; likely everyone was still recovering from New Year's Eve.. :o

I always try to make a point of reading this thread because I enjoy it. Lately I have been busy and thus don't have the pleasure of time to comment or discuss things that are posted, but don't mistake that for a lack of interest. At this time of year I am sure a lot of people are just too busy to keep up the comments. You always share interesting finds; big or small it is always a lesson that history is often hiding in front of our noses.

I see there will be a new WWII film released set around the events of Dunkerque, in 1940. You may have to start driving out that way for some discoveries if the 'shoebox' ever runs dry. :D

Regards,

RC

Yesterday in less than twenty four hours more than two hundred people checked into this topic.

No comments were left . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sadly no comments were added either at Thanksgiving day, Pearl Harbor day, Christmas Day and Yesterday on New Year's Day when over two hundred checked in . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The forum is what you make it . . . . . . . . Paraphrasing John F. Kennedy " ask not what the forum can do for you, ask what can you do for the forum "

Happy New Year.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 1 2016

Hi Graham,

Thank you for sharing those amazing photos! In some ways it it looks like a long-forgotten WWII motorpool just awaiting rediscovery.

Regards,

RC

Hi Ken! Happy New Year! I do love reading your threads. I have been meaning to share these photos from my visit to Normandy in 1994. A friend of mine knew the owners of this farm with so many vehicles and parts strewn all over the the buildings and fields. Amazing stuff. I am sure it has long gone now; hopefully for restoration!

Best regards for 2016, Graham

Howdy,

I've been on the forum for a little while now but only just discovered this thread. I am finding it absolutely fascinating. I've gone back to the beginning and so far have gotten up to about page 20. I have a lot of catching up to do and it looks like I will be enjoying every second of it. I've never been to Europe, but visiting Normandy is one of my dreams. I may not have much to contribute, but rest assured you have a new devoted follower. Best Regards,

Mikie

Howdy,

I've been on the forum for a little while now but only just discovered this thread. I am finding it absolutely fascinating. I've gone back to the beginning and so far have gotten up to about page 20. I have a lot of catching up to do and it looks like I will be enjoying every second of it. I've never been to Europe, but visiting Normandy is one of my dreams. I may not have much to contribute, but rest assured you have a new devoted follower. Best Regards,

Mikie

Welcome to Kens club. We all enjoy Kens posts. Most of us will never make it over there but through Kens eyes we feel like we can. You will never find a better tour guide

Welcome to Kens club. We all enjoy Kens posts. Most of us will never make it over there but through Kens eyes we feel like we can. You will never find a better tour guide

You are entirely correct. There is no better tour guide than Ken!

Hi Ken. As you know, Sian and I spent "Hogmanay" up in Edinburgh...we flew back on the night of January 1st. Just catching up on emails etc. So, we wish you a hearty "Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!" or "Bonne année!".

Ian ;)

Ian..you look like 007 with a Bond girl on your arm!!!

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Happy New Year Ken!

Don't lose faith please, I love reading this thread, the before and after shots and hearing your wealth of anecdotes, but i'm guilty of not often leaving comments.

Must try harder for 2016!

Keep up the good work,

AG

Hi AG & other friends, I'm sorry to say that I did ' lose faith ' after many posts went without being joined in with, responses are what fired my further posts, I am not searching for all comments to be offering praise, just a simple comment, question or remark is sufficient to keep the posts rolling, in the past lots of people have even enjoyed the British humor ( humour ) engaged in with Sabrejet and others.

enough said, here's another ' Then & Now ' comparison taken in Cherbourg yesterday. Sadly the soldier laying on the floor was shot by a sniper just at the same second that the photo was taken, the other two members of the group dash for the safety of the doorway.

the comparison photo is in the following post

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19 2016.

post-344-0-55899000-1453213631.jpg

General Apathy

Then & Now Cherbourg Normandy . . . . . . . . . .

Camparion shot to the previous post.

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19 2016.

post-344-0-57084900-1453213888.jpg

here's another ' Then & Now ' comparison taken in Cherbourg yesterday. Sadly the soldier laying on the floor was shot by a sniper just at the same second that the photo was taken, the other two members of the group dash for the safety of the doorway.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19 2016..

Ken,

What a somber reminder of the price of war. I am sure there are so many places over there where so many people lost their lives.

I love your "then and now" posts. Your eye for detail is amazing.

...Kat

Ken,

There was a recent thread on the forum about what military item someone would buy if they won the lottery. I was thinking that rather than buying a military item, I would want to have you as my tour guide around battle sites. :) My dream is to come over there and travel around with you. If I do win the lottery, drinks would definitely be on me! :lol:;)

....Kat

Great Lewis is "on the road again". It appears the building on the left has been rebuilt into apartment with the addition of the balconys..Like Kat says a somber picture

General Apathy

Very little has physically changed there in 70 years or so Ken....apart from UPVC window frames and a new wrought-iron balcony!

Hi Ian, thankfully this small group of houses have remained, so far, all the house off to the far right of the photo have been demolished around late 1980's along with many more in Cherbourg, note the windows on the roof line have changed on the building with the Jeep in front.

General Apathy

Ken,

What a somber reminder of the price of war. I am sure there are so many places over there where so many people lost their lives.

I love your "then and now" posts. Your eye for detail is amazing.

...Kat

Hi Kat, nice to get out and do some fresh comparison shots, still many-many more to be found and done.

Your right about the cost of war, I am aware of the story of the soldier being shot at the moment of the photo being taken, as it appears on a short newsreel clip of the time, and sadly in the clip the soldier is seen to fall and his helmet rolls away from his head.

General Apathy

Great Lewis is "on the road again". It appears the building on the left has been rebuilt into apartment with the addition of the balconies. Like Kat says a sombre picture

Hi Robert, I was on the road again last Wednesday I joined a group of battlefield guides on a walk through the Falaise pocket area. I tore the sole of my normal walking boots a few days before the walk and had to buy a new pair to walk in. I didn't have time to wear the boots in and managed to make it to the 20-kilometre mark when I had to slip off the boots and lance the blisters on both feet releasing the fluid with a small pocket knife. However I still failed to make the last 7-clicks to the finish at Mount Ormel museum on the ridge of the hills surrounding the battle area.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, January 19 2016.

post-344-0-95067000-1453217935.jpg

Still a tough trooper to hump it 7 clicks in new boots Ken...

Sad reality of war in the last then and now picture..

Wonder what happened to the sniper as well....

Leigh

More great additions from the sharp eyed roving reporter from the fields of France!

Your walk about group looks a bit chilled...cool weather? Recently we have had a cool snap here in the negative 30 range with wind.

Sorry to hear you wore out your walking boots but those WW2 two buckles wont last for ever my friend...:D

Johan Willaert

Hi Robert, I was on the road again last Wednesday I joined a group of battlefield guides on a walk through the Falaise pocket area. I tore the sole of my normal walking boots a few days before the walk and had to buy a new pair to walk in. I didn't have time to wear the boots in and managed to make it to the 20-kilometre mark when I had to slip off the boots and lance the blisters on both feet releasing the fluid with a small pocket knife. However I still failed to make the last 7-clicks to the finish at Mount Ormel museum on the ridge of the hills surrounding the battle area.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, January 19 2016.

See a couple of familiar faces... Hope a good time was had by all...

You need a couple of boots that are made for walking, ken!