Norman D. Landing

bilko1

I love Jim.

Hes a great guy and a good mate.

He also did a LOT of work on FURY and can tell stories till the cows come home.

He also showed me his old Denison smock from his para days.

Great guy.

owen

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well going through more boxes of old photographs I discovered some more shots of our Scooter days, this is Keith Lowe on his Lambretta, and on the rear is Ian Hill, Ian was learning to play guitar back then, his father had been a local musician, Ian went on to be guitarist in ' Judas Priest '

?

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 8 2015.

Hi Ken

Small world.......

Ian Hill is best mates with friends of ours, bump into him at some of the get togethers we have during the year.............. nice guy.

kevin

General Apathy

I love Jim.

Hes a great guy and a good mate.

He also did a LOT of work on FURY and can tell stories till the cows come home.

He also showed me his old Denison smock from his para days.

Great guy.

owen

Hi Owen, thanks for your comments on Jim, I spent Saturday with Jim and several other friends at the funeral of Peter Gray founder of the MVCG which later became MVT group.

I passed on regards for you to Jim, and he replied with his in return and nice to hear of you.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 11 2015.

General Apathy

Hi Ken

Small world.......

Ian Hill is best mates with friends of ours, bump into him at some of the get togethers we have during the year.............. nice guy.

kevin

Hi Kevin, well there's all that thought of only being six persons away from each other if we follow the six leads. Thanks for letting me know that you have contact with Ian from time to time.

Wish I could connect with Richard Branson I could well have something of interest for him. ^_^

General Apathy

post-344-0-36297200-1444601137.jpg

post-344-0-65126500-1444601164.jpg

' Then & Now ' Cherbourg harbor . . . . . . . . . .

This really isn't one of the best then & now shots that I have made, due to the amount of street furniture and vehicles crowding the scene. The tall single building in the distance is one of the main points of reference, and the quay edge on the right in the shots.

What I did find amusing however, is the fact that 71 years apart on the day I took my comparison that there is a tripod stood in both shots, in my shot it's a yellow painted one on the right of the photo.

Hi Kevin, well there's all that thought of only being six persons away from each other if we follow the six leads. Thanks for letting me know that you have contact with Ian from time to time.

Wish I could connect with Richard Branson I could well have something of interest for him. ^_^

Hi Ken

Ian has been shown the picture and he says he remembers it well, named the people in it and says he thinks it is around 1967 ?

Sorry can't help with Richard Branson.......

Kevin

General Apathy

Hi Ken

Ian has been shown the picture and he says he remembers it well, named the people in it and says he thinks it is around 1967 ?

Sorry can't help with Richard Branson.......

Kevin

Hi Kevin, did he give you the name of the girl in the photo stood behind the scooter ???

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 13 2015.

Hi Kevin, did he give you the name of the girl in the photo stood behind the scooter ???

Hi Ken

Apparently he named everyone , but the people I asked to get in contact with him as they are best mates forgot the names...... have asked again.........

My lad Mike and myself had a great fun day clay shooting last year with Ian and his family courtesy of our joint friend who instructs at a big clay shooting range not too far from here, it was a late birthday present for Mike. Turned out Ian had booked the day for his lads birthday treat and was more than happy for us to join them when our instuctor mate asked ( first I knew was when we turned up to see Ian and his family there )

On the theme of small world.......

One of my fellow vintage firework collectors asked me if I knew a guy with a tank over near Halfpenny Green and his best mate Mitch....... turns out they are part of the same social circle........

Kevin

General Apathy

Hi Ken

Apparently he named everyone , but the people I asked to get in contact with him as they are best mates forgot the names...... have asked again.........

On the theme of small world.......

One of my fellow vintage firework collectors asked me if I knew a guy with a tank over near Halfpenny Green and his best mate Mitch....... turns out they are part of the same social circle........

Kevin

post-344-0-49190000-1444752771.jpg

Hi Kevin, thanks for that, if we get the name of the girl then maybe I will have something further to post on that connection.

The guy with the tank over by Half-Penny green ( which was an Airbase during WWII ) is Dennis and this was his tank on set for Band of Brothers. After all this time I can't recall which one of the two sold an ex-British army Austin Champ to Bob Plant, the very same champ that I rolled over in a road accident and successfully walked away from.

General Apathy

post-344-0-08038700-1444753275.jpg

Visiting Normandy . . . . . . . .

If any members are visiting Normandy at any time it's possible to by a copy of this map showing the Normandy area, the beaches, routes and units fighting in various areas.

Even if you take part in a guided tour it's possibly good for marking out parts of Normandy, towns and villages that you got to and a memento of your trip.

General Apathy

post-344-0-28083900-1444753661.jpg

If any members are visiting Normandy at any time it's possible to by a copy of this map showing the Normandy area, the beaches, routes and units fighting in various areas.

Even if you take part in a guided tour it's possibly good for marking out parts of Normandy, towns and villages that you got to and a memento of your trip.

General Apathy

post-344-0-90551900-1444753729.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-0-38977500-1444753796.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-0-34839400-1444767365.jpg

Saturday 10th October 2015 cremation of Peter Gray founding father of the MVCG . . . . . . . .

Saturday 10th in the crematorium in Caen we paid our last respects to Peter Gray, in the early 1970s Peter formed the MVCG group displaying military vehicles at car shows and events around the UK. In 1974 he organized the first return to Normandy of over a hundred WWII military vehicles and just under three hundred, enthusiast, collectors and a lot of WWII veterans. Many of these traveling from as far afield as Australia, America, Canada and other places, the word had spread far and wide about this thirtieth anniversary invasion trip, newspapers and television from around the world attended and followed the events of the trip.

General Apathy

post-344-0-69593600-1444768114.jpg

Saturday 10th October 2015 cremation of Peter Gray founding father of the MVCG . . . . . . . .

A 1974 newspaper clipping showing Peter Gray with Phil Silvers ( Sgt. Bilko ), sadly there was no text in the photo album to explain the reason for the meeting between the two. Peter through his Harley Davidson dealership, military vehicles and film work new numerous stars, also in the album were other shots of him with Roy Orbison, John Lennon and others.

General Apathy

post-344-0-16146300-1444768570.jpg

Some of the flowers aboard a Jeep in the procession to the crematorium. In the mid 1950s Peter performed the duties of a motorcycle rider for the Tour de France cycling events using old demilitarized Harley Davidsons. At times he had newspaper cameramen seated on the rear facing backwards towards the trailing cycles and riders..

General Apathy

He was obviously quite a dynamic character. Good to see that he was "sent off" in a style he would surely have approved of!

post-344-0-58144900-1444857635.jpg

Hi Ian, Peter used to do stunt and dare-devil riding in the 50s & 60s, on old Harley's, he also did wall of death riding at side shows, here's a shot of him at a show standing on the saddle riding down the runway of an airfield.

I have quite a few others like this that I copied from albums on display at the drinks party after the funeral.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 14. 2015.

General Apathy

Love those Harleys! De-miltarised?

Ian, I will have a look through the photos that I copied at the funeral and post a couple more I think interesting.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-67094600-1444934715.jpg

From the shoebox . . . . . . . .

For more photographs and the story of this helmet with Hawley liner take a look at this link to the helmet section

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/251907-possibly-nice-hawley-lined-helmet-ruined/

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-29496000-1445110944.jpg

' Then & Now ' photos Normandy . . . . .

Spent portion of today trying to find this place, drove over to where I thought it would be but it wasn't the place, start again, need to be asking questions locally but it will be difficult to find anyone now that would recall this place during the war . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-24603800-1445111297.jpg

' Then & Now ' Normandy . . . . .

Found this photo titled Utah Beach Invasion Forces, thought you would like to see the unusual blade being shown to a sailor on a ship heading for Utah beach . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2015.

Now picture. My son competing in the Bisbee Az 1,000. 4.5 K and 1,034 steps. Did it wearing 70 lb EOD bomb suit to raise awareness for EOD Warrior foundation.post-551-0-68758500-1445128661.jpg