Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Squad leader

It's one of my favourite museums in Normandy. The 2nd one being the Dead man's corner museum in Saint Come du Mont.

Dan.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The old days . . . . . . . . . . . .

I bought my first house from the owner of this Jeep, a friend of mine, I inherited the dog seen in the Jeep along with the house, old ' Blue ' was a great dog he was raised from a pup as a rider in our Jeeps, I mostly drove with my windscreen down all the time, Blue used to stand on the passenger seat with his front paws on the bulkhead the window blowing his ears backwards he loved his days in a Jeep.

We had Jeeps back in the day when they were used as everyday vehicles for young dudes who wished to be be a little different, and before they became collectors items.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 31 2015.

My first Jeep, back in 1983........ it was for sale on the Tyburn Road, Birmingham, had an MGB Twin carb engine and the carb was a pig for flooding.......it was looking for a replacement engine for YOA97 that led me to that huge haul of original Jeep parts that you had great fun picking over once I had it back in Lichfield.

Photo taken on Cannock Chase

Kevin

post-2662-0-96700900-1439132715.jpg

General Apathy

My first Jeep, back in 1983........ it was for sale on the Tyburn Road, Birmingham, had an MGB Twin carb engine and the carb was a pig for flooding.......it was looking for a replacement engine for YOA97 that led me to that huge haul of original Jeep parts that you had great fun picking over once I had it back in Lichfield.

Photo taken on Cannock Chase

Kevin

post-344-0-19069500-1439133570.jpg

Hi Kevin, hahaha long time no-hear, well I don't know who stuck that MGB engine in it, it was totally original when my friend Bryn owned it and toured Europe in it.

I still have all of those spares that I bought off you, in fact never used any of them just put them in stock for some day in the future, which might be fairly soon as I plan on doing an overhaul of the old Jeep in the coming months ??

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 9 2015.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Kevin, hahaha long time no-hear, well I don't know who stuck that MGB engine in it, it was totally original when my friend Bryn owned it and toured Europe in it.

I still have all of those spares that I bought off you, in fact never used any of them just put them in stock for some day in the future, which might be fairly soon as I plan on doing an overhaul of the old Jeep in the coming months ??

Hi Ken

I wonder where it is now.......maybe it has been restored back to correct engine......I never changed it as I had that rolling chassis and engine project that came with that mass of Jeep spares.....selling those off was the start of the long slippery slope into militaria that still goes on today.

Kevin

General Apathy

Hi Ken

I wonder where it is now.......maybe it has been restored back to correct engine......I never changed it as I had that rolling chassis and engine project that came with that mass of Jeep spares.....selling those off was the start of the long slippery slope into militaria that still goes on today.

Kevin

post-344-0-70751500-1439135455.jpg

Hi Kevin, well here's another shot of the same Jeep loaded during Bryn's multi state European tour. It was great fun in the 70's, running Jeeps could be bought for 50 -100 pounds ( possibly 100 - 200 US dollars).

Think it cost me £850 in 1983, not sure I told my wife it cost that much.having been married just 3 weeks when I passed it on the way to work.

I rang to say I had seen a Jeep, apparently we were going to discuss it that night, but I had already acted and was already the new owner by the time I made the call.

Amazed you still have those original parts you had from me all those years ago,seem to remember there was a full set of combat rims in that. Must have been around 1986-87 when that happened.

Guess that shoebox is much bigger than I ever imagined.

General Apathy

Think it cost me £850 in 1983, not sure I told my wife it cost that much.having been married just 3 weeks when I passed it on the way to work.

I rang to say I had seen a Jeep, apparently we were going to discuss it that night, but I had already acted and was already the new owner by the time I made the call.

Amazed you still have those original parts you had from me all those years ago,seem to remember there was a full set of combat rims in that. Must have been around 1986-87 when that happened.

Guess that shoebox is much bigger than I ever imagined.

Hi Kevin, I collected original Jeep spares for many years and still find pieces to buy over here, in the last two years I have managed to grab, gearbox parts and the complete synchro unit still in cosmoline wrap, and last week I found starter and generator, there are other parts I still wish to find, the bug never leaves.

My ' shoe-box ' is still in the UK as I don't have room for it here ^_^ ^_^ but let's not mention where huh.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 10 2015.

You're right about the bug never leaving, I still find myself looking for Jeep bits and pieces even though I haven't had a Jeep for almost 28 yrs now. ........don't see anything at the flea markets over here and I go to a lot of them.......still adding to that banger collection though.......at some crazy figure of over 250 different types now......

As for the ' shoebox' location, best kept a secret, although I had always presumed you you just opened it up and the state called it the Imperial War Museum............

One last YOA97 picture, taken at Hagley Hall, notice Grahams' Sherman Tank......... seem to remember the local Bill tried to arrest him for having a firearm in as much as the tank had a gun on it..........those were the days when it was a struggle to put even a few Jeeps in the same place at the same time.........

post-2662-0-83693600-1439232362.jpg

Senior moment crept in there.no idea why I put Grahams' Sherman when we all know it was in fact Dennis, must be time for a nap.

General Apathy

Senior moment crept in there.no idea why I put Grahams' Sherman when we all know it was in fact Dennis, must be time for a nap.

post-344-0-26291900-1439288843.jpg

Hi Kevin, here's a photo I took of Dennis's tank when we shot scenes for the Band of Brothers episode ' Day of Days ' when the paratroops meet up with the armor.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 11 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-85902700-1439289256.jpg

Hi Kevin, here's a second photo I took of Dennis's tank when we shot scenes for the Band of Brothers episode ' Day of Days ' when the paratroops meet up with the armor.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 11 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-98704200-1439372356.jpg

More Band of Brothers photos . . . . . . . . . . .

Everyone stops for tea . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 12 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-38604600-1439372547.jpg

Setting the scenes and camera's

General Apathy

post-344-0-33063100-1439372730.jpg

Roll the tanks, and the camera's . . . . . . . . . . . Again

General Apathy

post-344-0-27932300-1439394778.jpg

And now for something completely different . . . . . . . . . . . . . From the shoebox.

Earlier today I read a different thread here on the forum and a couple of hours later took this photograph to add to the thread, but when I went back onto the forum to post the thread couldn't find it again, so I decided as I had the photograph then I would use it here.

It shows how metal was conserved during the war, in place of making a fresh plate each year they simply made a smaller plate for consecutive years and added to the original plate, strangely the yellow 1943 plate has been riveted to the opposite side of the plate and doesn't cover the preceding 1942 year of the original plate which it was intended to do ??

Actually this isn't from the shoebox it's one of a number of American plates I have hung as wall art.

General Apathy

Very cool license plate! I did not know they did that during the war. I love your shoebox and your wall art. :);)

....Kat

Hi Kat, as always pleased to hear that you are enjoying the posts, thanks

General Apathy

There's one like that in my grandparents basement.

Hell Camo, your grandparents have a Sherman in their basement, well done.

Sorry joking aside, is it possible to get the plate or a photograph of it, would be nice to see it if you want to post it here.

General Apathy

post-344-0-51720200-1439409508.jpg

Normandy finds . . . . . . . . . . .

Last winter the weather was very rough up on Utah beach and the winds and tides moved a lot of sand around, shown here is a number of items that appeared out of the sands, take note that these are not for messing with, or collecting, in any way or such.

To see what they are, go back to the beginning of this thread and see post #26, please don't think that it's always possible to see such stuff as this laying around on the beach, most of the time there is nothing at all to see, but use caution with anything seen. . . . . . . . . . People do die or get maimed each year over here in Normandy.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Normandy finds . . . . . . . . . . .

Last winter the weather was very rough up on Utah beach and the winds and tides moved a lot of sand around, shown here is a number of items that appeared out of the sands, take note that these are not for messing with, or collecting, in any way or such.

To see what they are, go back to the beginning of this thread and see post #26, please don't think that it's always possible to see such stuff as this laying around on the beach, most of the time there is nothing at all to see, but use caution with anything seen. . . . . . . . . . People do die or get maimed each year over here in Normandy.

doesn't the Government attempt to dispose of those?

General Apathy

Hi Robert, the government will deal with anything that is reported, but they don't have teams searching specifically for this type of stuff. I think for about five years post war the French government ' employed ' around a quarter of a million German POW's to clean up the battle areas, and lives were lost ??

However it's now been seventy years and many other things take priority over checking beaches out, or farmers fields, I think the five invasion beaches stretch some seventy miles end to end Ouistreham to Quineville.

General Apathy

post-344-0-06443100-1439544955.jpg

Hi Robert, this is a postcard sold locally, it will probably help explain that Normandy has been fought over for over a thousand years, how old is America in relation to this. ^_^

England and France participated in a ' hundred years war' which actually lasted a hundred and sixteen years 1337 - 1453, all to do with possession of the French throne

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14 2015.