Norman D. Landing

bilko1

You might uncover some bunkers, Ken!

You might joke about it Jeroen, but it's highly likely that something might just turn up. He's already found a number of really interesting WW2 artefacts in and around his back-yard....haven't you Ken? ;)

post-8022-0-39003800-1402570666.jpg

General Apathy

You might uncover some bunkers, Ken!

post-344-0-31497500-1402585585.jpg

Sjef, you never know what, and where, you will find stuff here, a friend making alterations to a doorway found this K-98 being used as a strengthening bar encased in concrete used as the door lintel, note there is still residue of concrete on parts of it.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 9 2014.

General Apathy

You might joke about it Jeroen, but it's highly likely that something might just turn up. He's already found a number of really interesting WW2 artefacts in and around his back-yard....haven't you Ken? ;)

Hi Ian, just looking at your photo of the pieces I found, I got round to wondering if any of the veterans we met were the one's that used these very same pieces in WWII ???, interesting thought . . . . . . . . .

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 12 2014.

Hi Ian, just looking at your photo of the pieces I found, I got round to wondering if any of the veterans we met were the one's that used these very same pieces in WWII ???, interesting thought . . . . . . . . .

Ken

You never know Ken....you never know!

General Apathy

You never know Ken....you never know!

post-344-0-97352400-1402683687.jpg

Hi Ian, well here's today's work on the trenches for the sewerage pipes, it's nothing like how you saw it last week, If there was trench warfare in WW III then this could be the start of it hahahaa

There was evidence of rusty metal in the ground but nothing recognizable, so bad luck.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 13 2014.

Next time I bring my excavator....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sjef, you never know what, and where, you will find stuff here, a friend making alterations to a doorway found this K-98 being used as a strengthening bar encased in concrete used as the door lintel, note there is still residue of concrete on parts of it.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 9 2014.

:lol:

So what's next? You are going to renovate your house? You never know!

Blimey Ken...what a transformation!! :o Less than a week ago we were sat in the sun right there sipping beer!

General Apathy

Looks like a bomb went off.

In an organized way of course ;)

Hiya, it looks less organized when your living with it outside your kitchen door, I know it will be an improvement when it's done but in the mean time it's a mess .......................

Ken

General Apathy

Next time I bring my excavator....

We can have a real Donut - Dugout then, and maybe a few beers.

Ken

General Apathy

:lol:

So what's next? You are going to renovate your house? You never know!

Hi Sjef, I already know, there's a .50 cal head in the stonework upstairs, .30 cal heads in the stonework around the front door, and there were parachute buckles in the rear garden until I found them when digging in flowers.

Ken

General Apathy

Blimey Ken...what a transformation!! :o Less than a week ago we were sat in the sun right there sipping beer!

Hi Ian, the four boxes of empty bottles are over on the right of the photo awaiting a trip to the recycling bins, there was a slight session this evening when French neighbors dropped in to see the work, and it was Pastis for them, white wine for the wives, G & T for me, and Whiskey for Tony all impromptu of course as always around here.

Once I get the pipes in then it's back onto roofing the car port, and a few other projects so some progress made this summer.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 13 2014

General Apathy

hello

it's transall C160 , two motors

thanks for pics

olivier

Olivier, thanks for the I.D. You will have to excuse the poor counting of the motors I think alcohol might have had some influence on their vision and math, and don't blame me Please, I only supply the alcohol and the meeting place.

Ken

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ian, well here's today's work on the trenches for the sewerage pipes, it's nothing like how you saw it last week, If there was trench warfare in WW III then this could be the start of it hahahaa

There was evidence of rusty metal in the ground but nothing recognizable, so bad luck.

Ken

When I put my sewer in many years ago I dug the trench by hand. At the looks of your soil I don't think that's possible

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Ian, Sjef and others for adding photo's here, it was good to meet everyone and shake hands and maybe a beer. So the 70th anniversary came and went and so did the family members, and the friends staying at the house, I am finally back in my own bedroom and bed after letting Ian use it, it was easier to sleep downstairs and not disturb anyone when I was getting on with jobs, well lots of other things also came and went as well ........

Thank you for the photo's, I do have many to post myself but I have another priority at present and that is sorting out my garden and drive area, and digging trenches to lay new sewerage pipes, I am up to my neck in it presently so to speak in terms of jobs to get done and I need to put them in order and get on with them, so hope to be posting again soon

Ken

Ken

Life goes on and you must keep things "flowing smoothly" after the party.

Thanks for the updates and for keeping us all informed of the celebration and vistors you hosted.Looks like all had a great time.

General Apathy

When I put my sewer in many years ago I dug the trench by hand. At the looks of your soil I don't think that's possible

Hi Robert, well even at the distance you are away from here you can tell that it ain't soil, it's clay, always damp and soggy in the ground bring it out and it bakes like rocks, rains and it's a slimy mess and adds four inches to the soles of your boots, I have every sympathy for the soldiers that had to dig foxholes, live, eat and fight in this stuff.

P.s. there's going to be a ton of this ' soil ' left over as it doesn't fill in so easy and it's hard to compact when baked dry.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 15 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Ken

Your inbox is full.Sending you a message to the other place.

Hi Ron, thanks I did receive your message by the secondary route and I have replied as you are aware, and thanks again for the information within that message.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 24 2014.

General Apathy

post-344-0-11386200-1403631147.jpg

From the shoebox . . . . . . . .

Hi everyone, we always associate jerrycans with gasoline or fuel, and maybe sometimes water, but this particular jerrycan, French made and dated 1956 is also marked ' VIN ' pronounced VAN and meaning wine. The French military issued red wine which was drunk with meals in their field kitchens, some of my neighbors who served in the French army at that time remember these ' jerrycans ' with great fondness.

Ken

General Apathy

Hi Ken! Are you starting to get life back to normal after all of the festivities? Is your front yard back to normal?

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for the enquiry about my garden and workload, sadly I think the upheaval of digging trenches is going to take until next spring for the winter rains to help settle the ground again. I have a large mound of soil still piled in the garden that would not fill back into the ground yet, and until it starts to settle then I will have to keep filling until it does.

I woke yesterday with a full workload of jobs in my mind and ended up helping four other friends with jobs that they needed a second pair of hands for, so nothing done yesterday, today has been similar and I am out all day again tomorrow, but would I want it any other way.

The day to regret is the day the telephone stops ringing .....................! !

Ken