Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1213516801.jpg

Hi LtRGFRANK, Whoa steady up there, I hope the Jeep driver doesn't see your comment ' old guy ' he's only in his early forties. crying.gif

Seriously the hobby is now so expensive, that to own the vehicles and the numerous pieces of kit it's way beyond most youngsters. The M-8 armored cars we run in our group ( ten ) cost around $60.000 USD and then all the dressing for them .50 & .30 cal and radio equipment, new tires etc, it's mainly older people who own them. Even the basic restored Jeeps over here are around $16.000 to $20.000 USD, that's without all the dressing. pinch.gif

Pesonally I am a worn out thirty year old ( 58 ), ex wife ( 43 ), present girlfriend ( 43 ), who was it who said ' your as old as the women you feel '. ?????

Friends say I have never really grown up mentally or physically, take a look at my avator photo it shows me hanging hands free off the side of one of the M-8 Amored cars rolling along at fifty MPH with my foot hooked under the gun barrel for support. ;)

" The brave may not live forever, the meak never live at all "

So back to more sensible posts with my next addition to this forum. thumbsup.gif

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 15 2008.

Try jumping out of a jeep with one of your leggings straps caught on the metal supports (that support the canvas "roof") ........ :wacko::blink:

Thank god that jeep had stopped.

Great pictures .... also of the stuntman, hehe.

Erwin

post-344-1213516801.jpg

Hi LtRGFRANK, Whoa steady up there, I hope the Jeep driver doesn't see your comment ' old guy ' he's only in his early forties. crying.gif

Seriously the hobby is now so expensive, that to own the vehicles and the numerous pieces of kit it's way beyond most youngsters. The M-8 armored cars we run in our group ( ten ) cost around $60.000 USD and then all the dressing for them .50 & .30 cal and radio equipment, new tires etc, it's mainly older people who own them. Even the basic restored Jeeps over here are around $16.000 to $20.000 USD, that's without all the dressing. pinch.gif

Pesonally I am a worn out thirty year old ( 58 ), ex wife ( 43 ), present girlfriend ( 43 ), who was it who said ' your as old as the women you feel '. ?????

Friends say I have never really grown up mentally or physically, take a look at my avator photo it shows me hanging hands free off the side of one of the M-8 Amored cars rolling along at fifty MPH with my foot hooked under the gun barrel for support. ;)

" The brave may not live forever, the meak never live at all "

So back to more sensible posts with my next addition to this forum. thumbsup.gif

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 15 2008.

Hi Ken

I know there is still plenty us "experienced" reenactors can teach the young 'uns ;)

Cheers mate and as I said, looking good thumbsup.gif

Martyn

General Apathy

post-344-1213535007.jpg

Hi Forum Readers, back to a sensible post again, here is the second item I am posting from my friend Warwick's collection, I will need to re-frame this as the newspaper has slipped inside it's frame.

Stars & Stripes. top left corner it's shown as ' Germany Edition, Volume 1, No.28, Wednesday, May2, 1945. Top right corner one word is shown ' Kaputt ', sorry I can't give any other news details as the paper is sealed inside a frame.

Once it is re-framed I intend to display it on a wall, ( away from direct daylight )

Have a good weekend.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 15 2008

General Apathy

post-344-1213600207.jpg

Hi Readers, here's the third item from my friend Warwick's ( deceased) collection. It is a Signal Corp footlocker dated 1897, this possibly ended up in Europe through American forces involvement in WWI. it is basically a standard tin trunk, heavily strengthened with oak strips and metalwork.

Unfortunately the contents description stencilled on the top section between the wooden strips has lifted off due to minor surface rusting. However inside can be seen the 'SC' logo in an orange inked square, also the printed plate of the manufacturers, ' Vanderman's Conn. 1897'.

Would be interested in any information any of my fellow forum members could offer as to the contents of this trunk.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 16 2008.

General Apathy

post-344-1213600375.jpg

post-344-1213600207.jpg

Unfortunately the contents description stencilled on the top section between the wooden strips has lifted off due to minor surface rusting. However inside can be seen the 'SC' logo in an orange inked square, also the printed plate of the manufacturers, ' Vanderman's Conn. 1897'.

Would be interested in any information any of my fellow forum members could offer as to the contents of this trunk.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 16 2008.

General Apathy

post-344-1214058842.jpg

Hi All, just a quick post as I shall be away from the forum for the next week, well certainly until July 1st.

This is the fourth item from my friend Warwick's collection, it is a WWII scrapbook made entirely of wood and with

wood veneer wording and images on the front. It measures 10 x 8 x 1.1/2 inches in size, all the pages are empty nothing has ever been pasted in it. Stamped in the rear is what may be the manufacturers name, ' Clyan Hall, Corona Del Mar, California '.

So thanks for looking and see you all again after July 1st.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21 2008

This thread is absolutely incredible! All the info, history, and collectibles floating around near you in Normandy there must be amazing, you are very lucky! I could only wish to live somewhere with such a rich history in dire times

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1214845575.jpg

This thread is absolutely incredible! All the info, history, and collectibles floating around near you in Normandy there must be amazing, you are very lucky! I could only wish to live somewhere with such a rich history in dire times

Hi Blake_E, thanks for the compliment on my ' lucky ' location, it is very enjoyable living in such an area.

I was away in England for the last week working on my friends 1944 Ford M-8 armored car and organising the transportation of it to the area my daughter ( aged 16 ) lives in, to run her to her leaving school prom ball.

Still another two years or so of further education to do yet

It was great success and stole the show as other pupils attended in old buses, fire engines and vintage cars, the M-8 with all the weapons and baggage looked good in combat trim and muddy. The driver of a brand new civilian Hummer came over and offered his congratulations on being best vehicle dropping pupils off at the ball.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2008

General Apathy

post-344-1214845747.jpg

Wish the weather could have been a little warmer and less breezy, fortunately it didn't rain.

More posts to be added soon as possible, regards.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2008

Johan Willaert

Ken, You're getting old, needing that ladder to get in and out of that M8... :lol:

Seriously, very impressive arrival!

Is that Nick driving?

General Apathy
Ken, You're getting old, needing that ladder to get in and out of that M8... :lol:

Seriously, very impressive arrival!

Is that Nick driving?

Hi Johan, yup sure was Nick w00t.gif driving, he was as happy as a pig in *&%!, :rolleyes: it had not been out in a while due

to heavily contaminated petrol from someones petrol can having crap in it which fouled the carb, we had

to buy and fit a new one two days before, and the fouled one will be rebuilt. thumbsup.gif

We drove about fifteen miles in it to the hotel where the prom ball was, great fun once again out on the road.

Can't beat a good ladder ' it's a step up in life ' ???? :lol:

Cheers ( Lewis )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2008.

What a great way to get to the Prom. It looks like the guys were having the most fun. Welcome back. Missed your posts.

General Apathy
What a great way to get to the Prom. It looks like the guys were having the most fun. Welcome back. Missed your posts.

Hi LtRGFRANK, thanks for your thoughts, was it that obvious that we were having a great time, ssshhh it's supposed

to be a secret. If we could afford it, we would do it every nite it was so much fun. Kids are young only once as we now know.

Have a great week and I will post again shortly,

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2008.

General Apathy

post-344-1215025348.jpgpost-344-1215025397.jpg

Hi Fellow Members, here is the fifth item from my friends collection, it is a pin-back featuring a depiction of

Uncle Sam tugging on a rope thrown over the branch of a tree with the words ' Let's Pull Together'. On the side of the pin is a little lever which when moved, raises the head of Adolf Hitler with a large swastika on his chest.

On the side of the pin it states ' Pat. Applied For Evans Novelty Co. Chicago ' and a union made symbol.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 2 2008.

A neat item to have.

I like those kind of things, also the pin cushion (Hitler's a..) ans similar.

Thanks for showing.

Erwin

hbtcoveralls

HI Ken,

Really great pin, I think homefront stuff is really something. The ultimate item has to be an item I saw years ago at the Allentown PA gun show. I guy had set up a WWII era coin operated shooting gallery called "Shoot the Japanese!". It still worked, and when you put in your nickle the little mechanical charicature of tojo would zoom around in an unpredictable pattern and if you could shoot him with a light gun he'd change directions until you missed and he'd run back under cover. Way cool and fun too.

T. Bowers

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Hi Erwin, Tom & bphealey, thanks for reading and the additions to my post.

Apologies that I have been AWOL for a while, amazing where time flies.

Two days back an M-1910 shovel was found in a barn in the village, it is a

Ames manufacture 1942 or 43 sorry I don't have it to hand to check. There

are two interesting sides to this find, one it appears that both the wood and

the metal have never been painted. There are no signs of paint even in the

sections where the metal and wood join, and where there would have been

no abrasion from use. The metal appears blackened, I am not sure if

' Phosphated 'is the correct term for this or not.

Secondly the top cross bar handle has been snapped off on both sides, as the

village was taken by airborne troops was this something left or lost by one of

them. On the rear of the wooden shaft three initials have been cut in with a

knife edge and not the tip, so the cuts are straight. They appear as CMP sadly

no service numbers so possibly untraceable.

Hope you enjoy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 23 2008.

Appears to be a problem with the attachment file, will have to post later

post-344-1216808113.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1216808803.jpg

This is the shaft after washing with soapy water, came up pretty clean

to highlight the carved initials.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 23 2008.

Very nice find indeed.

And it is always a pleasure reading your posts here.

So keep 'em coming.

When I come to visit Normandy with my fiancée, I'll sure stop by (if ok with you).

Erwin