Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

This is the loosened soil where the roots of the sapling once were, three items were visible to the eye without any digging required

The lower arrow indicates the edge of a section of camouflaged parachute, all these three items have been sat in this location for sixty-nine years, the last six of which I have been living nearby and would probably have missed without the removal of the small sapling.

post-344-0-47703100-1388181161.jpg

Ken,

Great to see these finds and even greater is to have back!

I second what RC wrote earlier, switch to Firefox for your browser. I have had many fewer hiccups then when I used IE.

Happy New Year!

More great finds Ken. As we discussed over the phone earlier, I wonder if the winter storms will have unearthed any more items along Utah Beach?

General Apathy

Sad news this evening that a great friend Joe Hobbs who was costume purchaser on Band of Brothers has passed away today during a heart attack. Joe Worked long and hard to get authenticity into the costume used in the series, he asked me to supply a varied amount of items for the series, for the M-43 jacket and trouser sets he wanted worn and totally unworn sets in the hope that the ' sheen ' of the new material would be seen on screen before the rough and worn suits used in the battle scenes.

Joe some good and found memories, dear chap.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 28 2013

The lower arrow indicates the edge of a section of camouflaged parachute, all these three items have been sat in this location for sixty-nine years, the last six of which I have been living nearby and would probably have missed without the removal of the small sapling.

Hi Ken

It is great to see you back on the forum...

It just proves that items can still be found in Normandy, but that is unreal to find that so close to home...

Regards

Tom

Sad news this evening that a great friend Joe Hobbs who was costume purchaser on Band of Brothers has passed away today during a heart attack.

Ken,

I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. I know he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

....Kat

American Graffiti

Welcome back Ken! It's been a loooong time!

Those recent Normandy finds just show it's amazing what is still being uncovered, absolutely fascinating, and thanks for sharing,

AG

General Apathy

Hello Ken,

Are you by chance using Internet Explorer to view the forum? It seems that the forum is best accessed with either FireFox or Google Chrome browser.

RC

Hi Rusty, thanks for your suggestions on the possible cure for my computer malady ;) , I think I will look into the firefox option. For answering tonights posts I have hooked up my previous tower running IE on XP with which I had no problems ^_^ , my new tower is running IE on Windows #7 :o

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 31 2013

General Apathy

Nice Post Ken, still amazing that 70 yrs on things still surface. Great to have you back. Don't be a stranger.

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, thanks for the greetings, if your over for the 2nd armored trip summer 2014 have a great time :D , sorry to say we will not get to hook up as I won't be on that one.

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

I might actually like doing yard work if I lived over there! :lol:

Great pictures! It sure is great to have you back!

...Kat

Hi Kat, well there is plenty of yard-work to be done, so knock yourself out, and it's all unpaid of course and all finds confiscated by me, of course HahHhaaaaha -_-:D

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

Great to see these finds and even greater is to have back!

I second what RC wrote earlier, switch to Firefox for your browser. I have had many fewer hiccups then when I used IE.

Happy New Year!

Hi Beast, pleased the finds were of interest, and thanks for the additional thoughts on the Firefox option ;) take care, good to hear from you as well

ken

General Apathy

More great finds Ken. As we discussed over the phone earlier, I wonder if the winter storms will have unearthed any more items along Utah Beach?

Hi Ian, yes it's been very stormy here, I had a stroll along the beach a few days back to free the spirit, the tide was in and tons of sand had been dumped on the beach covering everything.

ken

General Apathy

Hi Ken

It is great to see you back on the forum...

It just proves that items can still be found in Normandy, but that is unreal to find that so close to home...

Regards

Tom

Hi Zippy, thanks for the welcome, the items I showed were out the front of the house, hopefully some way back in this blog I showed the paratroop harness buckles I found in the rear garden, hope everyone caught them ^_^ as I have said before that little scene seen in the ' The Longest Day ' of the paratrooper whispering to the French lady leaving her outhouse in the dark was just about three hunderd yards from my rear kitchen door.

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. I know he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your thoughts on dear old Joe, sadly when I say old I don't actually think he was old, maybe mid fifties, something I had never asked him, but as with all friends he will be missed.

ken

General Apathy

Welcome back Ken! It's been a loooong time!

Those recent Normandy finds just show it's amazing what is still being uncovered, absolutely fascinating, and thanks for sharing,

AG

Hi Graffiti, thanks for the welcome and the interest in the finds ;) , this blog has become so long I think I have lost in the anus'es of time what I have and have not shown. I had a real shocker a few weeks back that maybe re-wrote the identification of a piece of U.S. WWII equipment for me, once I have made some decent images I will be posting here.

ken

General Apathy

Thanks for the new updates Ken.

Very sorry to hear about your friend Joe.

Hi Ron, thanks for thinking of Joe, sort of guy everone got along with, one of lifes jolly personalities. B):lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-57924600-1388530858.jpg

From the Shoebox, it's been some time since I added an item from the shoebox, well I had an occassion to visit the shoebox a few weeks back and somehow a small wren had found a spot to enter the shoebox and I was amused at the spot she chose to build a nest, in one of my pigeon boxes :lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-65009400-1388531503.gif

New Year, well it's the last evening of the old year

and midnight we will be passing into what we would

all like to be a happy, healthy, and possibly wealthy New Year

Have a great one Y'all, that's one and all

ken

From the Shoebox, it's been some time since I added an item from the shoebox, well I had an occassion to visit the shoebox a few weeks back and somehow a small wren had found a spot to enter the shoebox and I was amused at the spot she chose to build a nest, in one of my pigeon boxes :lol:

I have missed that old shoebox! Looks like she was a very smart wren. :)

Happy New Year to you too! It is great that we have ended 2013 with you back posting again! Here is to a great 2014!

Take care my friend....Kat