Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1210971493.jpg

2004 trip continued............ second photo of two from our 2004 2nd Armored trip.

Photos from our 2006 trip will probably be posted tomorrow evening.

Goodnight from Normandy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 16 2008

General Apathy
William E Barber was my good friends 1st Lt on Iwo Jima. Barber was also a Marine Parachutist..

Hi USMC Raider Collector, thanks for adding into my post with the information on the WWII service of William E. Barber, pleased to receive additional information anytime, it all helps the big picture. Should you have a photograph of him to add here, that would be good for forum members to see to go with his name

Regards

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 16 2008

Ken,

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. All very interesting.

As much as I love military history, would it be asking too much to see your home? You live in a house older than my country and that shot of the stairway really got my attention.

Thanks!!

General Apathy

post-344-1211023165.jpg

post-344-1211022838.jpg

Ken,

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. All very interesting.

As much as I love military history, would it be asking too much to see your home?

You live in a house older than my country and that shot of the stairway really got my attention.

Thanks!!

Hi Jim, Good to hear from you, enjoy your posts also. As requested a couple of photos of my house,

showing an interior and exterior of the stairway, these were taken during my moving in period.

Regards Lewis

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 17 2008

General Apathy
He just wants to know where you live so he can "liberate" the Calvados ..... be warned :excl:

;)

Erwin

Hi Erwin, If Jim can handle it, he can ' liberate ' it anytime, The Calvados flows like water around here.

Happy weekend to everyone

post-344-1211023165.jpg

post-344-1211022838.jpg

Hi Jim, Good to hear from you, enjoy your posts also. As requested a couple of photos of my house,

showing an interior and exterior of the stairway, these were taken during my moving in period.

Regards Lewis

Thank you very much!! That is a beautiful home. I really love stone and wood in a home. You are a lucky man. About two months ago I was browsing property in that area. What kind of weather do you get in the summer? Do you get a lot of sunshine?

Oh, and don't listen to that Belgian. He is a notorious womanizer and wine thief. I drink beer. ;)

Thanks again, and if you want to show it off, I'd love to see more. :)

Me a wine thief????? :blink:

There's nothing better than a good cool Belgian beer.

Very nice place you have, Lewis.

I like that type of building a lot or the typical style you can find in the Ardennes.

Gotta love the countryside.

Regards,

The notorious womanizer himself. devil.gifbye1.gif

General Apathy

post-344-1211050497.jpg

HI Ken,

You're getting to live a dream all of us American re-enactors have, to live and be where it happened. The time I spent "over there" with 2nd armored was worth a lifetime of events over here, and I'm amazed at what still shows up from the war. Keep up the posts.

Tom Bowers

South Carolina USA

Hi Tom and all other forum members, as Tom mentioned his ' time over there with 2nd Armored ' I thought I would show some of the shots from our 2006 trip, this was code named Operation Cobra as was the original operation and we followed the same route passing through the same towns and villages.

We had 50 original WWII vehicles, consisting of four M-3 tanks ( two of which had been shipped by their American owners all the way from the States especially for this trip ) Privately owned armor is no longer allowed in France, however with the reputation that the 2nd Armored have established in Europe and with connections to the right departments in Paris we were allowed to run an armored column through Normandy. There were also ten M-8 six wheel armored cars, three half tracks, around twenty mortar equipped Jeeps, Harley outriders, fully operational field kitchen carried in two GMC 6 x 6 trucks, and other vehicles.

All these vehicles transported 200 re-enactors ( forty of these were Americans ) in correct uniform for 82nd Recon - 2nd Armored. The following attached photos are a short bio-pic of our trip, you may notice our ' Patton ' played by

Art Pope from America who plays this part to perfection and his portrayal of Patton's ' Blood & Guts' speeches always captivated the French audiences at each stop, and raised cheers and applause

Please enjoy, my apologies, after tonite I will be busy for the next week and will possibly not be able to add any more posts for this week.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 17 2008.

hbtcoveralls

post-2138-1211157263.jpg

Hi Ken,

It's hard to take a bad photo on a trip like that. Here's one of me with my famous "patience my butt we got Germans to Kill" look just before heading out from Vierville '06. I hope this works since I've not posted photos before, apologies to all if it didn't.

T. Bowers

Just got back home after being gone for 10 days. Enjoying catching up. Can't wait for your return and more of your excellant postings.