Norman D. Landing

bilko1

I've tried your Ale Ian. It burnt hair out of my nose. Too stout I'm aftraid. Now Belgian beer! Thats good. Robert (LtRGFRANK on sons computor)

Puts hairs on your chest Robert! Your GIs acquired a taste for it when they were here in WW2! It fell from favour for many years until a pressure group CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) was formed and actively petitioned for its re-introduction in the 70s, when European lagers began to gain in popularity. Now , virtually all British pubs will offer a range of these "real ales" rejoicing in names like "Old Speckled Hen" and "Tangle Foot"! Forget your "Bud Lite"...this is proper man's beer! ;)

http://www.camra.org.uk/

Here you go Robert...just a sample! (These are also served direct from traditional wooden casks in most pubs!)

My sons wife says we can get Newcastle here so she's going to get it for me. Robert

My sons wife says we can get Newcastle here so she's going to get it for me. Robert

Good man...known here affectionately as "Nuclear Brown", from the North-east of England..."Geordie" country. A nice "nutty" brown ale (and I don't mean as in "The Nutty Professor" either! :lol: ) Best served cool rather than chilled....or better yet, room temperature (but not Arizonian room temperature...know what I mean?!)

General Apathy

post-344-0-27461000-1364039595.jpg

post-344-0-16865900-1364039624.jpg

Normandy ' Then & Now ' ....................................

This morning I took a trip over to Utah beach to see how much more damage had been done to the sand dunes, there was a lot more erosion of the dunes and a lot more of rusty pieces of beach matting that was used across the dunes for vehicles to exit the beach.

on the way and from the beach we passed through the town of St Marie du Mont giving me the opportunity to do another then & now for the forum, The strange thing about trying to make this comparison photo is the house seen on the right of the photo with two chimney stacks has an identical house in an identical spot on the other side of town again facing inwards towards the church in the centre.

What really helps to identify the correct location for the comparison are the foot soldiers arriving in the town from the beach landings, note the medic far right.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 23 2013

General Apathy
CPTFrank[/b]' timestamp='1363950557' post='1307559']

I've tried your Ale Ian. It burnt hair out of my nose. Too stout I'm aftraid. Now Belgian beer! Thats good. Robert (LtRGFRANK on sons computor)

Hi Robert, funny to see that here on the forum you are a Lt. and your son out-ranks you as a Captain, and what's all this about nose hair, don't you do the same as everyone else and use a cigarette lighter :lol: :lol: B)

ken

General Apathy

Morning Lewis. I see your up and reading the forum. Robert

Hi Robert, yes I was up and on the forum, but really it was a method of wasting tthe morning and avoiding all the chores that needed to be done. :huh:

ken

Ken...why not relate the story about the German maps etc which were purloined by Frenchmen at Ste Marie as related on the info board in the square near the church? I'm sure the readership would be interested!

Hi Robert, funny to see that here on the forum you are a Lt. and your son out-ranks you as a Captain, and what's all this about nose hair, don't you do the same as everyone else and use a cigarette lighter :lol: :lol: B)

ken

Well now he's a Major so I'm really getting outranked. Hoping he makes Lt Col before he retires and returns home to look after his dear old Dad

General Apathy

Here you go Robert...just a sample! (These are also served direct from traditional wooden casks in most pubs!)

Hi Ian, well I think using that photo infringes the advertising rules of the forum :lol: suffice to say other brands are also available, a statement often used by BBC radio in these days of litigious lawsuits. :o

ken

General Apathy

Ken ~ again you are the master of the before and after shots!! Love em~

Thanks Chunky, good to hear from you B)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-56917100-1364070371.jpg

Utah beach today ..........................

as I mentioned a few posts above, myself and a friend hit Utah beach today to see what was happening down there after all the storms and rip-tides.

here's a shot of a small section of dune collapse, the entire length of the beach has suffered similar collapsing and destruction. :(

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-58142500-1364070683.jpg

Utah beach today ..........................

Looking at a section of dune collapse this item was exposed, please don't ask I have no idea, it looks like a cup shaped cover for something with the attached chain to prevent it being lost. :wacko:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-79908800-1364072955.jpg

Friends 1940 Dodge VC Command car restoration ................

three days ago I was over at a friends garage giving him a hand for the day working on his Dodge VC restoration, this vehicle has several layers of paint. The original factory dark semi-gloss O.D paint is still to be seen, this was then sprayed over with a very light shade drab O.D. paint, and later still possibly post war painted red and used on an airfield due to large advertisements on the bodywork.

The attached photo shows the different layers of paint and lettering on the front of the vehicle, it is believed that this vehicle never left the states during WWII and possibly remained on a base, the initial black stencil lettering appears to be ' STATION ?? ' the two or three digits after station were subsequently painted over with a green paint and re-stencilled in white lettering ' S.O.D. 62 ' we now have a quest to try and trace what either of the stencils relates to.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-56352500-1364073669.jpg

The US Army vehicle number for this particular vehicle is actually painted on the underside of the engine hood cover, normally all WWII military vehicles had them painted on the top exterior of the engine hood cover

ken

RustyCanteen

The attached photo shows the different layers of paint and lettering on the front of the vehicle, it is believed that this vehicle never left the states during WWII and possibly remained on a base, the initial black stencil lettering appears to be ' STATION ?? ' the two or three digits after station were subsequently painted over with a green paint and re-stencilled in white lettering ' S.O.D. 62 ' we now have a quest to try and trace what either of the stencils relates to.

ken

Hi Ken,

Could the S.O.D. 62 be a reference to an Ordnance Depot?

(Nice photos)

General Apathy

post-344-0-66007800-1364074338.jpg

while helping my friend Pete for the day working on his Dodge restoration I spotted a cut down concrete telegraph post against the garage wall. It is quite common practise here in Normandy to use old surplus telegraph posts for gate posts, this one leading into the adjoining field.

What caught my eye with this particular post was the date 25 - 10 - 43. :lol: funnily Pete and his wife have lived there 8 - 10 years and he had never noticed it ^_^ as I said so many are used in this way does anyone really take any notice.

ken

Johan Willaert

The US Army vehicle number for this particular vehicle is actually painted on the underside of the engine hood cover, normally all WWII military vehicles had them painted on the top exterior of the engine hood cover

Not the first time I have seen this on these VC series and therefore I believe that numbers were painted on both inside and outside of the hoods/bonnets, and the ones on the inside in such a way that the number would still be readable when the hood was opened up...

Note also that the numbers were painted in white at this early stage, changing to blue drab in early 1942 and again changed to white in 1945

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Could the S.O.D. 62 be a reference to an Ordnance Depot?

(Nice photos)

Hi RC, thanks for the suggestion, early days yet but I will add that to our list of ideas and thoughts ;)

Obviously a good source of information would be any photographs featuring this model of vehicle and whatever markings it may have.

ken

General Apathy

[/center]

Not the first time I have seen this on these VC series and therefore I believe that numbers were painted on both inside and outside of the hoods/bonnets, and the ones on the inside in such a way that the number would still be readable when the hood was opened up...

Note also that the numbers were painted in white at this early stage, changing to blue drab in early 1942 and again changed to white in 1945

Hi Johan, thanks, so far we haven't started rubbing the outside of the hood down but as of now there is no evidence of any numbers on the outside, however there are several layers of paint to work through. :huh:

In a week or two's time I might have something interesting to show you and the posse, you will see it here :lol:B)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-63999900-1364076885.jpg

From the shoebox .......................

The attached photograph might show something that is particularly British in it's origins, vehicle taxation disc's. The disc's shown above relate to a Jeep that I previously owned and were found in the rear of an old tax disc holder that came with the vehicle when I bought it.

Road tax on vehicles was first introduced in 1888, and for petrol driven vehicles from 1920 enabling vehicles with paid tax to use and park on road-ways, the disc's have to be displayed on the windscreen ( windshield ) :dry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty

Somewhere in my shoebox I have two framed charge sheets ( citations ) for speeding in my WWII GPW Jeep :lol: :lol:

ken