Norman D. Landing

bilko1

That two wheel hotub picture aint right......... :blink: :pinch:

At least it demonstrates the absolute water-tightness of the basic design! IIRC, Ken once told me of an instance whereby an outboard motor was attached to a Jeep trailer and it served as an erstaz motor-boat! Can't get more water-tight than that! :w00t:

Do you think maybe Ken has been kidnapped and we somehow missed the ransom demand? If so I've got a buck 50 I can kick in.

Well, it is wine harvesting season right now, he might be rather busy.

wineconnoisseur.jpg

Pat...that's the kind of contraption Ken would knock up. He's very inventive like that! Are you familiar with the work of the great British eccentric, Heath Robinson? (Google him!) ;)

General Apathy

post-344-1348231853.jpg

Do you think maybe Ken has been kidnapped and we somehow missed the ransom demand? If so I've got a buck 50 I can kick in.

Hi Craig, well the kidnapper's could wait any longer for the ransom to be raised so they let me go, appears there was some reticence from the forum members to raise more than the buck-fifty that you offered yourself. :huh:

I did get a private email from a concerned forum member saying that it might be time that I dropped into the reports again as there were some weird posts being made in my absence, so thanks to all the members that added posts both positive and possible weird ones.

I have been absent due to spending some family time together, relatives are getting older and also sadly some have some serious health issues to deal with. Just two days ago my brother had his heart stopped and re-started to correct an irregular beat, and his pace-maker recalibrated as well.

However on the positve side my sister passed onto me two folding wooden chairs that belonged to our parents, she thought that I would make better use of them with having more visitors calling through or possibly staying with me.

As we exchanged the chairs between our vehicles I pointed out to my sister something that she had not spotted before that they are dated 1942 and in the reign of King George VI.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 21 September 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1348232060.jpg

post-344-1348232017.jpg

I have been absent due to spending some family time together, relatives are getting older and also sadly some have some serious health issues to deal with.

However on the positve side my sister passed onto me two folding wooden chairs that belonged to our parents, she thought that I would make better use of them with having more visitors calling through or possibly staying with me.

As we exchanged the chairs between our vehicles I pointed out to my sister something that she had not spotted before that they are dated 1942 and in the reign of King George VI followed by the symbol of a crown.

ken

Welcome back into the fold Ken! We kept it warm for you whilst you were away! :lol: I remember chairs like that from my school-days back in the 50s. Something of a design classic. You can still buy similar ones today.

General Apathy
Welcome back into the fold Ken! We kept it warm for you whilst you were away! :lol: I remember chairs like that from my school-days back in the 50s. Something of a design classic. You can still buy similar ones today.

Hi Ian, case of while the cat's away the mouse will play, eh ^_^

ken

Ken is back!!!! All is right in the forum world once again!!! You were greatly missed!

So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope all will be well with him. Family is the greatest treasure.

....Kat

General Apathy
welcome back. are they civilian chairs since their dated or of military origin?

Hi Robert, being dated 1942 and marked with GR VI then I believe them to be military issue or the very least British government issue, civilan used ones would not have had reference to the ' crown ' as in GR VI. Forgot to mention that they are also stamped with the manufacturers name R.H. Barker & Son

As Ian related in the mail above it's a very popular British design and civilian used pre and post WWII without any markings.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1348236230.jpg

Ken is back!!!! All is right in the forum world once again!!! You were greatly missed!

So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope all will be well with him. Family is the greatest treasure.

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for the welcome ' home ' and thanks for your thoughts for my brother.

I also saw my aunt Julie who farmed during WWII, whilst her husband my uncle Jack was an RSM in the Royal Artillery and fought a retreat to Dunkirk with his unit. One of his friends in the unit was captured and became a prisoner of war for over four years, uncle Jack asked his younger sister to write to this man named Ken Thomas to keep his spirits up in the prison camp which she did for four years and they married after he was liberated at the war's end.

Aunt Julie gave me these two WWI shell fuses which belonged to my uncle Jack, sadly aunt Julie is terminally ill.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1348237495.jpg

during WWII and post WWII my uncle Jack and aunt Julie were friends with the Wedgwood family who owned the Wedgwood pottery manufacturers. As a special gift to my uncle they made him a one-off silhouette of his head and shoulders as he was during WWII, a Regimental Sergeant Major.

For people not familiar with Wedgwood work, the silhouette is a raised plaster relief work and synonymous with all of Wedgwood bowls, vase and dish collections

Seen below my uncle's frame is one of their more famous piece's of work the silhouette of Winston Churchill.

ken

:blink:

post-344-1348237495.jpg

during WWII and post WWII my uncle Jack and aunt Julie were friends with the Wedgwood family who owned the Wedgwood pottery manufacturers. As a special gift to my uncle they made him a one-off silhouette of his head and shoulders as he was during WWII, a Regimental Sergeant Major.

Seen below my uncle's frame is one of their more famous piece's of work the silhouette of Winston Churchill.

ken

now thats neat. one of a kind

Im sure you remember the school marms ruler as well.......... :lol:

Oh...and welcome back General.Nice to see your new finds and those fuzes remind me of a prom date I had once :blink:;)

General Apathy
Im sure you remember the school marms ruler as well.......... :lol:

Oh...and welcome back General.Nice to see your new finds and those fuzes remind me of a prom date I had once :blink:;)

Hi Ron, thanks for the welcome back, however I think Kat will be on your tail for that erotic connection of the fuzes and a prom date ^_^:P

ken