Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Yep! That guy is more like you! :lol:

That No 75 Hawkins grenade is very interesting. Do you mind explaining to me how they were used during the war?

Exactly what are they?

Thanks, Kat

Hi Kat, I think this link will answer your question quite well for you it's very informative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkins_grenade ;)

Now to go and reply to the post that that cheeky chappie Craig Pickrall has just posted, I can't believe he could write that stuff. :dry:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 9 August 2012

General Apathy
I see Ken, I didn't realize it had gotten so bad that you needed two nurses now. One to push the wheelchair and one to carry the medicine bag.

Craig, considering potentionally that I might be your future son-in-law which would allow me to call you dad :rolleyes: , then I can't believe you make statements like the one above. :o

ken

Hi Tomas, thanks for the comment on the Hawkins and the price you saw it being sold at, as you say I can guess where, as a nods as good as a wink ( Monty Python ) ;)

Should buy me a couple of tanks of gas then, if I need to sell it. :lol::lol:

ken

Hey Ken,

Yes it not to far away a tall a tall from us both :pinch:

But they are going up and up in price all the time he had another for €1,200 a few months back to.

Ken when the time comes that you really want to sell it out of the Collection i think you will be buying more than

a few Tanks of Fuel it will be like "Winning the Euro Millions" you could probably Buy a Sherman Tank & a Tiger Tank

at the same time as well :lol: it will be worth a Fortune...

Hope all is Well with you over there on that side of the English Channel Ken in Normandy,

Regards from Ireland :thumbsup:

Tomás.

General Apathy
Craig, considering potentionally that I might be your future son-in-law which would allow me to call you dad :rolleyes: , then I can't believe you make statements like the one above. :o

ken

Hey Dad, it's o.k. I forgive you, and would really be happier calling you Craig. :lol::lol::lol:

ken

Hey Ken,

Yes it's not to far away a tall a tall from us both :pinch: hint hint wink wink.

But they are going up and up in price all the time he had another i remember for €1,200 a few months back to.

Ken when the time comes that you really want to sell it out of the Collection, i think you will be buying more than

a few Tanks of Fuel it will be like "Winning the Euro Millions" you could probably Buy a Sherman Tank & a Tiger Tank

at the same time as well :lol: it will be worth a Fortune...Ha ha

Hope all is Well with you over there on that side of the English Channel Ken in Normandy,

P.S Dont think my last reply Quote registered in this topic so re-done it again.

Regards from Ireland :thumbsup:

Tomás.

Hi Craig, as I am currently wearing a full beard with white hair around the chin area then I look more like the chappie with the beard three rows back, the one with the blonde one side and the brunette the other side ?? :lol::lol:

ken

WAIT A MINUTE, Ken..........

The gray hair and beard shtick is mine!!! I've also added a handlebar mustache!

craig_pickrall

ken

When the time comes that you can call me dad and you have turned over control of the shoe box per the arrangement then I will retract the statement. Looking forward to calling you SON!

craig_pickrall
Hey Dad, it's o.k. I forgive you, and would really be happier calling you Craig. :lol::lol::lol:

ken

Craig is fine or anything else you choose. The main thing is control of the shoe box.

General Apathy
Hey Ken,

Ken when the time comes that you really want to sell it out of the Collection, I think you will be buying more than

a few Tanks of Fuel it will be like "Winning the Euro Millions" you could probably Buy a Sherman Tank & a Tiger Tank at the same time as well :lol: it will be worth a Fortune...Ha ha

Tomás.

Hi Thomas, lets not get too carried away on the value of the Hawkins mine, I don't know how much Guiness is now in the bars over there, but it could be worth the Craic, to be sure. :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 10 August 2012

General Apathy
WAIT A MINUTE, Ken..........

The gray hair and beard shtick is mine!!! I've also added a handlebar mustache!

Hey JS, o.k. I will mark you down as my friendly Doppelganger. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Looking forward to calling you SON!

well thanks pop's :hug: ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1344634162.jpg

Definitely a big thanks to Ken! He shows the most unique items! No one else has a shoebox like him! :w00t:

And you KNOW the "before and after" pictures are my favorite! ;) :thumbsup:

...Kat

Hi Kat, I also know that women in the service's are a favourite as well, so here and in the following post are two of my posters for your enjoyment, not certain if you have seen these before or not. ;)

My Marine guy has his eyes on her.

ken

:blink:

General Apathy

post-344-1344634463.jpg

From the shoebox .......... Poster II

Hi Kat, I also know that women in the service's are a favourite as well, so here above is the second of my posters for your enjoyment, not certain if you have seen this before or not.

Lovely faces, real cuties. :blush:

ken

Hi Thomas, lets not get too carried away on the value of the Hawkins mine, I don't know how much Guiness is now in the bars over there, but it could be worth the Craic, to be sure. :lol::lol:

ken

Hey Ken

Its great to get carried away now and again i sappose :pinch: "as were only young once remember".... :lol: :laughing1:

so we have to make the most of what life has to offer.

I'l tell you what Ken you Welcome to Come to the Bar's in Ireland any time and i'l bring you out for a good night

one you won't forget in a hurry, and there will be plenty of Good old Irish Guinness for ya and plenty to go around

all night and Craic as well if your intrested... :D

Tomás.

General Apathy
Hey Ken

Its great to get carried away now and again i sappose :pinch: "as were only young once remember".... :lol: :laughing1:

so we have to make the most of what life has to offer.

I'l tell you what Ken you Welcome to Come to the Bar's in Ireland any time and i'l bring you out for a good night

one you won't forget in a hurry, and there will be plenty of Good old Irish Guinness for ya and plenty to go around

all night and Craic as well if your intrested... :D

Tomás.

Hi Tomas, funny the comment that ' we are only young once ', well yes I was young once :thumbsup: and I wouldn't trade that time for any other.

Living in the UK in the late 60's was pretty good, fairly peaceful no large scale wars, complete freedoms, cheap fuel, cheap Jeeps, cheap militaria, women were women and not covered in bloody awful body tattoo's, Normandy was untouched since the war, I was at the heart of the new bands and rock culture, life was good and my parents were still living, and many other benefits as well. Oh yeh I was 29 inch waist and had a head of hair ;) and the WWII Jeep was a babe magnet, sorry did I mention what an attraction the Jeep was.

Should I get to Ireland I'll join you in the craic :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
The girl on the left even looks like Kat!! :love:

MMmmhh- Mmmhh :love:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 12 August 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1344765776.jpg

post-344-1344765805.jpg

Normandy Then & Now ..................

This and the following post came about through the kindness of forum member ' Gunbarrel ' who sent me two quite rare color photo's of WWII and asked if I could do comparison shots. ;)

Straight off I knew the location and that it would be very possible, but time wise it was just not convenient until this morning, I tried to make it early over to the town of la Haye du Puits to try and capture the shots before Joe Public filled the road and car-park with cars. Unfortunately the particular building shown is now a newsagents store and the whole town and their dog was out there to get the early newspapers.

So here is the comparison of one of the shots along the street to the church further along, note that one of the two spires was damaged during the shelling and never rebuilt. The church is quite easy to compare, but also note the three roof windows above the French flag

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1344766666.jpg

post-344-1344766682.jpg

This and the preceding post came about through the kindness of forum member ' Gunbarrel ' who sent me two quite rare color photo's of WWII and asked if I could do comparison shots. :lol:

Straight off I knew the location and that it would be very possible, but time wise it was just not convenient until this morning, I tried to make it early over to the town of la Haye du Puits to try and capture the shots.

So here is the comparison of one of the shots showing the buildings in the centre of town, pre war this had been an automobile showroom and garage, now the central building is a newspaper and tabac store. Note in the WWII photograph the WWI memorial, this was removed during the reconstruction of the town, however I am pleased to say that I located the bust of the soldiers head and shoulders incorporated into a post war monument in another part of town, which I will add later this evening.

Note the large window at the top above the Tabac store and still the same large window as it was back in WWII.

It's sunshine outdoors and I need to make use of that for some work I have to do.

ken

General Apathy
You did it! Great job, Ken--thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Hi GB, thanks for the images and our dual work leads to International co-operation between us for the benefit of the forum :thumbsup: :lol::lol:

There are several more shots of la Haye du Puits in the fifty ' then & now ' images I have added to the Milweb militaria sales site ;) What's nice about this is all the images are all on one page and not spread across hundreds of pages.

http://www.milweb.net/news.php?type=galler...&cat_id=349

ken

General Apathy
Ken is the master of then and now photos! Fabulous!!

Hi Chunky, ' one ' happy customer then. :lol::lol::lol:

ken

post-344-1344766666.jpg

post-344-1344766682.jpg

This and the preceding post came about through the kindness of forum member ' Gunbarrel ' who sent me two quite rare color photo's of WWII and asked if I could do comparison shots. :lol:

Straight off I knew the location and that it would be very possible, but time wise it was just not convenient until this morning, I tried to make it early over to the town of la Haye du Puits to try and capture the shots.

So here is the comparison of one of the shots showing the buildings in the centre of town, pre war this had been an automobile showroom and garage, now the central building is a newspaper and tabac store. Note in the WWII photograph the WWI memorial, this was removed during the reconstruction of the town, however I am pleased to say that I located the bust of the soldiers head and shoulders incorporated into a post war monument in another part of town, which I will add later this evening.

Note the large window at the top above the Tabac store and still the same large window as it was back in WWII.

It's sunshine outdoors and I need to make use of that for some work I have to do.

ken

Ken ,they are great comparison photos, thanks for your time and effort, as you say shame about the cars ruining the shots, but thats what 60 odd years of progress has brought us!. We stayed there one night a couple of years ago, is this the town thats famous for its copper products, kitchen pots pans etc?. Lee.

General Apathy
Ken ,they are great comparison photos, thanks for your time and effort, as you say shame about the cars ruining the shots, but thats what 60 odd years of progress has brought us!. We stayed there one night a couple of years ago, is this the town thats famous for its copper products, kitchen pots pans etc?. Lee.

Hi Lee, thanks for the comps on the photo's, sorry to say that this isn't the village that makes all the copperwares, that would be the noisy town of Villidieu les Poelles, about 60 clicks away from La Haye du Puits which is further up the penninsula in the direction of Cherbourg.

La Haye du Puits is quite a nice little town centre, pity all the frontages have been uniformly painted with some insipid light pink wall paint, and all the lovely old French character lost :crying:

ken