Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Oh...This picture rates up there at the top of the list of great posts! Don't sell yourself short!

Were you hungry again an hour after eating the all you can eat meal? :lol:

....Kat

OK Kat. One up him with one of your favorite pictures. Robert

General Apathy
#1...... Oh...This picture rates up there at the top of the list of great posts! Don't sell yourself short!

#2...... Were you hungry again an hour after eating the all you can eat meal? :lol:

....Kat

#1.... :blushing:

#2..... Hi Kat, well we were all stuffed when we left the place, sadly however I pushed some more calories down my throat back at home an hour later. :crying:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 1 August 2012

General Apathy
:thumbsup: LOVE that Tie. Robert

Hi Robert, you just have to love that tie dont ya'll, it's an eye catcher.

ken

General Apathy
Teresa and I love it!! She said she approves and wants me to add that you are still......."A HUNK"! :love:

Hi JS, well the photo I saw of Teresa this week in a little red number hugging some tall sun tanned dude in California, she looked Hot, Hot, Hot. :thumbsup:

ken

craig_pickrall

Ken you need to get your terminology right if you want to stick with the bowling. That so called ditch is actually the gutter. The wide thing between the two gutters is the lane and the round thing that rolls is the ball. Nice to hear you bowled a strike. Did you also get any pars or eagles?

Really like the outfit. Are those dirty bucks on your feet?

General Apathy
She also wants me to add that....."she still remembers that day in Paris, she wore gray...."

' We will always have Paris ', shall I get Sam to play it again for her ;) .

One of the greatest films of all time, I have a poster for it hanging here in my kitchen

ken

General Apathy
Ken you need to get your terminology right if you want to stick with the bowling. That so called ditch is actually the gutter. The wide thing between the two gutters is the lane and the round thing that rolls is the ball. Nice to hear you bowled a strike. Did you also get any pars or eagles?

Really like the outfit. Are those dirty bucks on your feet?

Hi Craig, still out there then, thanks for trying to impliment the true terminology of bowling to me, however we are still two nations divided by a common lanuage, but now I have French in the mix as well.

The reason we refer to that there ' gutter ' thing as a ditch is when the ball drops in it then the ball is referred to as a bitch and put the two together you have a runaway ditch-bitch, sounds better than a gutter bitch.

Boots are ' desert boots ', possibly something akin to what British officers wore in North Africa during WWII, and the scooter mods wore in the UK in the 1960's, and and possibly something that all of us old scooter farts have worn ever since.

So in the bowling alley's of Virginia I expect to soon be hearing the word's 'damn that's a ditch-bitch ' :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

So in the bowling alley's of Virginia I expect to soon be hearing the word's 'damn that's a ditch-bitch ' :lol: :thumbsup:

You forgot to add in the "y'all"

"damn y'all! That's a ditch-bitch" :lol:

...Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1343858646.jpg

Tennessee State University visit ......................

Somewhere back in the dark pages of these ' Reports from Normandy ' I made mention of an American pilot named Robert Sarvis who attended the Tennessee state university around the start of WWII who dropped over the border into Canada and volunteered for the Canadian airforce and ulimately the British RAF.

Several years ago when I moved to Normandy and became aware of a local crash site I started to make investigations into the plane and the aircrew of that crash site. I learnt that the pilot was Robert Sarvis of Tennessee and that he ordered all the crew to bail out before losing his life in the subsequent crash.

I found mention of Robert Sarvis listed on the Tennessee University website and read that they believed that his plane was lost over the English Channel returning from a bombing raid over Germany. I contacted the University website to relay the information that in fact Robert died here in Normandy at the controls of his aircraft and was buried at the American cemetery at Colleville sur Mer in Normandy

I exchanged many emails with Derek Frisby of the history department at the university and back in 2011 he arranged for a party of university students to visit Normandy and the crash site of Robert Sarvis one of their wartime students. Unfortunately I was held up in the UK and couldn't make the arranged meeting with Derek and his students, but we managed to eventually meet this year May 2012 when once again Derek arrived with another group of students.

Here is a shot of the university students, I am middle centre back row and Derek Frisby is photo left of me wearing a cap. It was a pleasure and an honor for me to meet with Derek and his students and to guide and talk them through the local area and to the crash site.

ken

General Apathy
You forgot to add in the "y'all"

"damn y'all! That's a ditch-bitch" :lol:

...Kat

Yip, Yip Hooray it's taken off already I can hear it down south in Dixie :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
....... :laughing1:

Way to go JS. :twothumbup:

ken

craig_pickrall

Ken, I think this is in the correct order for student fashion here in the late 50's / early 60's. Pat Boone got it started with white bucks, then there were dirty bucks. I'm thinking this was because it was so hard to keep white bucks white. Then we had desert boots too. Always liked them. Very comfortable. I'm old enough to have gone through all 3 styles.

Looks like to me if you call it American Bowling you should try to get the names right rather than making up stuff. There have been many a bitch found in the gutter and I guess a few have been found in ditches too.

There have been many a bitch found in the gutter and I guess a few have been found in ditches too.

Only in France can a man....."pitch a bitch in a ditch". Only in Verginia can a woman...."pitch a bitch from a ditch"! :lol:

craig_pickrall
Only in France can a man....."pitch a bitch in a ditch". Only in Verginia can a woman...."pitch a bitch from a ditch"! :lol:

Where is Verginia? Is that in France too? Here in Virginia, USA women are allowed to pitch a bitch where ever they choose.

hbtcoveralls
Where is Verginia? Is that in France too? Here in Virginia, USA women are allowed to pitch a bitch where ever they choose.

And of course if they pitch a bitch they might be a witch and end up in the ditch.

Tom Bowers

post-344-1343858646.jpg

Tennessee State University visit ......................

Somewhere back in the dark pages of these ' Reports from Normandy ' I made mention of an American pilot named Robert Sarvis who attended the Tennessee state university around the start of WWII who dropped over the border into Canada and volunteered for the Canadian airforce and ulimately the British RAF.

Several years ago when I moved to Normandy and became aware of a local crash site I started to make investigations into the plane and the aircrew of that crash site. I learnt that the pilot was Robert Sarvis of Tennessee and that he ordered all the crew to bail out before losing his life in the subsequent crash.

I found mention of Robert Sarvis listed on the Tennessee University website and read that they believed that his plane was lost over the English Channel returning from a bombing raid over Germany. I contacted the University website to relay the information that in fact Robert died here in Normandy at the controls of his aircraft and was buried at the American cemetery at Colleville sur Mer in Normandy

I exchanged many emails with Derek Frisby of the history department at the university and back in 2011 he arranged for a party of university students to visit Normandy and the crash site of Robert Sarvis one of their wartime students. Unfortunately I was held up in the UK and couldn't make the arranged meeting with Derek and his students, but we managed to eventually meet this year May 2012 when once again Derek arrived with another group of students.

Here is a shot of the university students, I am middle centre back row and Derek Frisby is photo left of me wearing a cap. It was a pleasure and an honor for me to meet with Derek and his students and to guide and talk them through the local area and to the crash site.

ken

does everyone notice Ken is standing close to the cute ones. He still has it. Robert

General Apathy

post-344-1343911027.jpg

Love that shirt and tie Ken ~ simply awsome! Would you be interested in selling them?

Hi Chunky, yep that's an awsome combo of the shirt and tie, goes down well worn at the right function it raises some smiles here and there. Sorry to say that they are part of my vintage US clothing collection, here's another shirt that's a favourite of mine, good part about it as well is that it actually has the name Ken on the front. ;)

ken

General Apathy
does everyone notice Ken is standing close to the cute ones. He still has it. Robert

Too kind sir, way to kind, I realise my limitations now that's why I am here on the forum :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 2 August 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1344029801.jpg

Dick Winters, Band of Brothers commanding officer landing spot ............................

It's reported locally that the field to the left of this house is the field that Dick winters landed in on the the 6th June 1944, I don't have a wartime image of this building with which to do a comparison photo.

This road junction has St Mere Eglise just a few hundred yards to the right of the photo, Chef du Pont is a couple of kilometres away to the bottom left of the photo, and la Fiere bridge is along the road a few kilometres middle left of the photo.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 3 August 2012