Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1338801074.jpg

post-344-1338801097.jpg

Then & now photo's 1980's and 2012 ..................

well back when I was younger in the 1980's myself and friends did a four day static display at a country festival in the UK. We shipped in thirty ton of sand and covered the ground and then built a scene of the beach on some remote pacific atoll. Over the next four days the scene evolved from a marine landing with everyone in spotty camo, rifles and packs, then we built a USN communications bunker with sand bags, then the scene settled into supplies coming ashore by DUKW's and moving inland. On the fourth day and for the last evening the USN bunker became Ken's bar with an Hawaiian atmosphere, beer, women, and dancing were allowed as the MP's had moved inland. :rolleyes::lol:

Note the sign hanging behind our Hawaiian shirted dancer and move onto 2012 and the same sign now adorns my new barbeque shack, others signs and artefact's may be added as and when they are found in storage. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 4 June 2012

Looking good Ken. Look forward to giving it the once over tomorrow! (PS. don't you know it's an offence to wear a loud shirt in a built-up area?! :lol: )

General Apathy
I like the dancer better. Does she still look as good as the sign after all these years ;)

Robert, she looked nothing like the sign in the first place. :huh:

And as a gentleman I couldn't possibly answer about her appearance now. -_-

ken

yep everything is in full swing here, many new plaques and figurines being unveiled this week, I will be attending one on the 8th dedicated to the U.S. army nurses that served over here

Ken,

It is so great to hear from you again! You have been missed!

If it is not too much trouble, I would LOVE to see what is dedicated to the nurses who served over there!

Take care and have fun! ..... Kat

post-344-1338801074.jpg

post-344-1338801097.jpg

Then & now photo's 1980's and 2012 ..................

well back when I was younger in the 1980's myself and friends did a four day static display at a country festival in the UK. We shipped in thirty ton of sand and covered the ground and then built a scene of the beach on some remote pacific atoll. Over the next four days the scene evolved from a marine landing with everyone in spotty camo, rifles and packs, then we built a USN communications bunker with sand bags, then the scene settled into supplies coming ashore by DUKW's and moving inland. On the fourth day and for the last evening the USN bunker became Ken's bar with an Hawaiian atmosphere, beer, women, and dancing were allowed as the MP's had moved inland. :rolleyes::lol:

Note the sign hanging behind our Hawaiian shirted dancer and move onto 2012 and the same sign now adorns my new barbeque shack, others signs and artefact's may be added as and when they are found in storage. ;)

ken

Ken, The dancing girl in your old photo looks like Erika, am i right or am i right!. Have a good week, I`m sure you all will. Regards , Lee.

General Apathy
Give my greetings and Best to Mr&Mrs S when they arrive> Robert

Robert, will do, over and out. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

It is so great to hear from you again! You have been missed!

If it is not too much trouble, I would LOVE to see what is dedicated to the nurses who served over there!

Take care and have fun! ..... Kat

Hi Kat, will do, the Sabrejet's and myself have been invited to the ceremony at the unveiling of the nurse's plaque, Lee who is organising this is also a forum member and I would suppose he will post photo's when he returns home.

By the way the plaque was commissioned and made in the USA a fitting monument I would have thought

ken

General Apathy

Ken, The dancing girl in your old photo looks like Erika, am i right or am i right!. Have a good week, I`m sure you all will. Regards , Lee.

Lee, you win the coconut for sure, that's Erika.

ken

General Apathy
Pure class !

'owen

Hi Owen, thanks for the positive comment much appreciated. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1338837866.jpg

post-344-1338837911.jpg

I attended a militaria show Friday 1st June at St Marie du Mont and the above photographs show dug up lifebelts and rubberised gasmask bags for sale at the show.

Sorry I can't add more shots this evening I need to be preparing for my visitors tomorrow morning. :blink::lol:

ken

craig_pickrall

Hello Ken, good to see you are alive and well. Hope you and your buddies have a great time this week. Take lots of photos please.

I hope you're having a fine time, Ken.

Be sure to post lots of photos when you have the time, I am curious about the new monuments and all.

Sorry I can't be there this year, I hope I'll get a chance to visit the area (soon).

Take good care.

Erwin

General Apathy
Hello Ken, good to see you are alive and well. Hope you and your buddies have a great time this week. Take lots of photos please.

Hi Craig, well I may be alive but I had so much going on here I had no real time to engage in taking photographs and I really do need to buy a new camera my current one has developed some faults with it's applications and not worth trying to get it fixed which would cost more than a new model. :blink:

Had a good time with the Sabrejets during their visit, along with meeting up with other firends and even a few fellow forum members.

The sabrejet's kindly restocked my pantry with a wide selection of foods made in the UK as they felt that I might be missing some of the UK brands living here in France. :thumbsup: ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 12 June 2012

Hi Craig, well I may be alive but I had so much going on here I had no real time to engage in taking photographs and I really do need to buy a new camera my current one has developed some faults with it's applications and not worth trying to get it fixed which would cost more than a new model. :blink:

Had a good time with the Sabrejets during their visit, along with meeting up with other firends and even a few fellow forum members.

The sabrejet's kindly restocked my pantry with a wide selection of foods made in the UK as they felt that I might be missing some of the UK brands living here in France. :thumbsup: ;)

ken

Craig...I needn't have bothered as he's very well-stocked with British Army rations!! :lol:

(Seriously though...he's a A+++ host!) :thumbsup:

General Apathy
I hope you're having a fine time, Ken.

Be sure to post lots of photos when you have the time, I am curious about the new monuments and all.

Sorry I can't be there this year, I hope I'll get a chance to visit the area (soon).

Take good care.

Erwin

Hi Erwin, well I am sure you will have already seen the many shot's that Ian ( Sabrejet ) has added to the forum since his return from visiting here, I think he pretty much filled two SD memory cards and brought two cameras with him this visit as he had a camera malfunction on his last visit two years ago and borrowed mine whilst out looking at sights and monuments.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1339500249.jpg

An advert that just arrived in my inbox from another friend.

ken

post-344-1339500249.jpg

An advert that just arrived in my inbox from another friend.

ken

Ken,

That's a wonderful ad! Have you looked through the on-line WWI edition of Stars and Stripes? You will see some very nice ads for uniforms and equpment from shops in England and France.

post-203-1339505212.jpg

I'm happy to have viewed the pictures, and felt I was there enjoying the fun. I'm sure it was a great time, between the friends, and the "electric atmosphere" of the Normandy celebration.

Good to have you all back!

Johan Willaert
Lee, you win the coconut for sure, that's Erika.

ken

So who's Erica? Eleniak? :w00t:

BTW I was standing in Ken's BBQ shack and immediately recognised the sign from previous pictures and posts...

There's another one in Ken's toilet...!

No Pat...but there's a T-handled entrenching tool outside the back door....just in case! ;)

I can only imagine what Ken's house must look like! There must be some type of militaria ALL over the house!

....Kat