Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Robert, not certain what your looking at, sorry to say I couldn't get on the roof to do a large X, so I just did a large circle around the outside of my camouflage draped house would that be what your looking at. :lol::lol::lol: :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 26 January 2012

post-551-1327696385.jpg

Picauville upper right. Pont"Abbe middle left

craig_pickrall

Hello Ken, glad to see you back at work. The attempted hibernation plan fell apart rather quickly. I hate to point this out but with what we pay you we do expect a full week's work for all but the two week vacation / holiday that we agreed to for FEB.

The current batch of T&N's look great. On the one building with the 4 GI's are they trying to rewire the electric or telephone lines?

General Apathy
Ken, I'd guess it was renailed but for what reason?? Either that or the supervisor of the factory wasn't around when it was made. :whistling:

Based on how much cleaner the reversed portion is, I'd guess it's been like that for a very, very long time.

RC

Hi RC, thanks for your opinion on the crate and your following post stating ' It's a nice crate ' maybe the end could have been turned around after being adopoted by a French civilian and used as storage on a shelf without everyone seeing the US Army markings.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 27 January 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1327698135.jpg

post-344-1327698157.jpg

Great crate, Ken and looking forward to seeing it in your living room, not barn, next June!

Hi Johan, guess it will have to be the living room as this crate already has pride of place in the kitchen hiding the electrical fuse box, ok a little eccentric a few might say :unsure: but the box worked and a job done.

ken

General Apathy
Great crate mate!

I love that word "FREE" , especially when it involves such a nice item. Are you going to put this in your shoebox or will it have a place decorating the kitchen or dining room?

Also your "Then and Now" photos are awesome! Keep up the great work!

Hi Beast, thanks for the comment and appreciate your encouragement. :thumbsup:

ken

guess it will have to be the living room as this crate already has pride of place in the kitchen hiding the electrical fuse box, ok a little eccentric a few might say :unsure: but the box worked and a job done.

Now that is one cool use for the crate! Your entire house must be a "man cave"! :lol:

...Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1327705256.jpg

post-551-1327696385.jpg

Picauville upper right. Pont"Abbe middle left

Hi Robert, your correct with your identification of the villages, and from this aerial shot it is easy to see that Pont l'Abbe is the larger of the two villages, and Picauville is actually off the main road that leads to Chef du Pont and St Mere Eglise, locally Picauville is given the greater precedence and the name used as a generalisation for both villages.

The circle that you are enquiring about is a trotting track for horse's with a small two wheel single seat racing cart.

In the centre of Picauville is the church surrounded by the cemetery, to the right of the church is the C-47 and glider monument seen in the photograph above.

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

I forgot to add that you were a hunk! :love:

....Kat

Hi Kat, I note that you used the tence were in place of are a hunk :dunno: :crybaby:

Your forgiven and you were correct in your statement :crying:

ken

General Apathy
Hello Ken, glad to see you back at work. The attempted hibernation plan fell apart rather quickly. I hate to point this out but with what we pay you we do expect a full week's work for all but the two week vacation / holiday that we agreed to for FEB.

The current batch of T&N's look great. On the one building with the 4 GI's are they trying to rewire the electric or telephone lines?

Hi Craig, for what your paying me then make your own mind up if they are repairing the electrics or the telephones. :pinch: :unsure:;)

I believe it was the telephones, communications comes before comforts in a war situation. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Now that is one cool use for the crate! Your entire house must be a "man cave"! :lol:

...Kat

Hi Kat, good job it wasn't one of the ultra-rare Jeep crates that I found and used, that would have been a job hanging that on a wall.

Back in the late 1970's I did find a farm on the edge of a wartime airfield and the farmer during the war had built chicken sheds out of Jeep crates he had acquired off the airfield, if you tilted your head to one side then it was possible to read the Willy's name or the Ford logo on the crate planking he had used.

Here we go with that well worn out phrase ' if I knew then what I know now ' then I should have taken photo's of the planking or asked if I could have them and replace the planking taken. :think: :thumbsup:

ken

Good to have you back, Ken.

Isn't it about time we get to see some of the OTHER projects you have been working on? Like that petite, young, tourist you were showing around? :naughty:

post-344-1327705256.jpg

Hi Robert, your correct with your identification of the villages, and from this aerial shot it is easy to see that Pont l'Abbe is the larger of the two villages, and Picauville is actually off the main road that leads to Chef du Pont and St Mere Eglise, locally Picauville is given the greater precedence and the name used as a generalisation for both villages.

The circle that you are enquiring about is a trotting track for horse's with a small two wheel single seat racing cart.

In the centre of Picauville is the church surrounded by the cemetery, to the right of the church is the C-47 and glider monument seen in the photograph above.

ken

Thats cool. Theres got to be a story for the monument. Robert

General Apathy
Good to have you back, Ken.

Isn't it about time we get to see some of the OTHER projects you have been working on? Like that petite, young, tourist you were showing around? :naughty:

Hi JS, thanks for the welcome home, well not home as such but back here on the forum, and lets not be cheeky please about nocturnal projects, tonights project was American ten pin bowling followed by an all you can eat Chinese buffet, great night and plan on doing it again as another project. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 28 January 2012

Chunky Monkey
Hi JS, thanks for the welcome home, well not home as such but back here on the forum, and lets not be cheeky please about nocturnal projects, tonights project was American ten pin bowling followed by an all you can eat Chinese buffet, great night and plan on doing it again as another project. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 28 January 2012

American ten pin bowling!! Where I bowl we keep score for beers consumed rather than pins knocked down. How you do Ken? :rolleyes:

General Apathy

Hi everyone ............................

well over the years I have seen many video presentations but this one is fantastic regarding Normandy, and also I suppose because I now live here and I see and enjoy these things. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 January 2012

;)

Chunky Monkey

Ken ~ not only is it an area with immense history it is also a very beautiful part of the world. I noticed what looked like a crane on pointe du hoc ~ whats up with that?

General Apathy
Ken ~ not only is it an area with immense history it is also a very beautiful part of the world. I noticed what looked like a crane on pointe du hoc ~ whats up with that?

Hi CM, the crane is all to do with the work that's been going on over the past year to stop further erosion of the cliffs, hopefully this video link below will help explain some of it to you.

http://www.travaux-pointeduhoc.com/videos.asp

ken

Chunky Monkey
Hi CM, the crane is all to do with the work that's been going on over the past year to stop further erosion of the cliffs, hopefully this video link below will help explain some of it to you.

http://www.travaux-pointeduhoc.com/videos.asp

ken

Thanks for that link Ken ~ either I heard and forgot or did not know that work was going on. Good now just gotta get over there to visit someday!

vostoktrading

Ken,

That video of Normandie is great! Makes me want to get on a plane and visit again.

I also liked that story about shoreing up the cliffs at pointe du Hoc. It would be terrible if that blockhaus rolled off the top!

I always wondered what the correct pronunciation was for "Pointe du Hoc". I've heard the "C" was silent but I see (or rather, hear)

from the video that it isn't. I wonder if those workers found any militaria whilst hanging on their lines?

Love what you did with your ration box! It is amazing what you still can find.

About six months back I was driving around in an older neighborhood when I saw half a dozen marston matting sheets left on the

sidewalk for the garbage men to pick up. These are the metal sheets with holes in them used to make airfield matting so aircraft

could take off and land on muddy ground.

I knew they would'nt fit in my car and it was an off day for the garbage men so I made a dash to my friend's house to borrow his pick-up truck.

When I got back (two hours later) they were gone! Someone beat me to it! Damn! At least I know they didn't go to the dump...

Jon.

What a treat to live among such history and beauty. Do ya'll have a place for rent?? :thumbsup:

Ken,

This was a beautiful video. It makes me want to visit there even more. Thanks for showing us such a beautiful place.

...Kat

General Apathy
Very beautiful ken.

What a treat to live among such history and beauty. Do ya'll have a place for rent?? :thumbsup:

Hi JS, there's property all over the place here to rent or even buy, not really the sort of distance that you could drop over for the weekend from where you live on the edge of the world. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 31 January 2012