War Bond Poster help needed

renfield

I am thinking of bidding on a war bond poster by Wilkinson. It is the "YOU BUY'EM WE WILL FLY'EM" poster. I know they came in several sizes. This one is 9.75" by 13.75". The discription states that the paper is very thin. I know there are many reprocuctions of this poster. Does this sound about right? I wish I could post a link to the ebay auction. The ebay number is

300692119283 I think the bidding will top $100.00 and I would like to know what I am bidding on. Thanks for any help.

Steve

I know the type of paper they are talking about on those old posters. I have an old war bond poster that is about that size, and the paper is really thin. It's hard to tell if it is in fact an original without getting ones hands on it. And even then, I would have a hard time verifying if it was an original. Usually, the poster would have some type of marking on it. I see some marking in the lower left corner in the photo. Maybe the seller could send a close up of that and you could compare that with a photo of a known original, or a fake for that matter. When in doubt, only buy it if you really like it, so that even if it is fake, it is still pleasant to look at. The buyer has good feedback, so that is at least one good thing.

I wish I could be of better help. It's a nice poster if it is an original. I like it. Good luck!

Zeph

Christine1958Fury

It is hard to tell 100% without it in my hands but I'm a poster guy see the 2 I just listed in FS section. The small printas far as printer etc on bottom does not matter as the repros have that also. Looking at the ebay listing im 90% certain its legit and original

Looking at the auction the poster looks okay. Again, without holding it it would be hard to give a positive thumbs up. Personally, I'd pass on that one-$100 for a "flyer" is too much (for me). I'm aware of that particular poster in the following sizes: 11x14, 22x28, 40x60. This is a great and desirable poster that commands big bucks from established poster galleries, but for a little extra money I'd hold out for a 11x14 or 22x28. I've seen this poster more times than not on Ebay. If you wait you could possibly end up with the more desirable size. It's all what you, as a collector, want. (I have, in my collection, two flyer size posters and yes they are printed on thin paper).

Let's us know what you decide.............

Thanks guys for all the answers. It is always great to learn from those that collect wartime posters. I think I will take your advice and wait for one on heavier paper, and a better size. I took the bid to over $50.00 and was automaticaly outbid. I think some one wants this poster more than I do. I will get one sooner or later, as it would look great in my USAAF collection. Thanks again.

Steve

Hi

just to throw in a late 2 cents. This poster did come in 10x14. If you like it, I would consider going for it because at 100 its a pretty good price. Online at two major dealers they are selling for $300-350. They are linen backed and mint, which this isnt but its something to consider

I need to modify my answer-I really wasn't thinking (story of my life) . I really wasn't doing my math very well. That poster is basically a 10x14 (11x14) probably a good price for @$100. For some reason I was thinking 8 1/2"X 11" size. Sorry for the bum advice.......

Just want to add I have seen war time posters in two sizes.Dont know if all were produced in both but I have seen several examples that were.Ones I own are the Back the Attack poster. All of the original larger ones(I have seen or handled) will have fold marks in them as these were folded and shipped by the goverenment to the businesses or organizations that used them.Also originals will have the War Department info or date printed down in one corner on the Bond posters I have encountered.The repros dont.I know a man who has a couple hundred posters.His father was a bank manager/president during the war.They had the posters hanging in the bank.When they would get a new one he would hang it and take down the old ones.He kept all of the posters they used.

A rule of thumb for me is if its folded in equal dimensions its original.