NYC WWI memorials

patches

• 3 weeks later...

Here a small one, this is right down the road from me, Named after Private Frank C Prokop, Ridgewood Queens New York, Died of Wounds. Unfortanately I can not find the unit he was in or date of action when he was hit, I just spent 15 to 20 minutes cruising around and came up with nothing as of yet. I will update if unit is found. I did however find a site that list ALL New York State's WW dead, this is where I found Prokop's Rank and catogory of death, DOW. I will post this site in the other forums.

This stone is on a very small traffic island at the intersection of a very heavily traveled FORK and for years and years has remained unscathed, but in the link posted, you will see, it that it has had some rough times in recent years, it however as I write, back up and still standing tall.

http://www.timesnewsweekly.com/sites/www.t...s/MONUMENT.html

post-34986-1336363622.jpg

Linedoggie
Thought you might enjoy this photo taken on Armistice Day in NYC sometime in the 1930's.

post-70-1334659822.jpg

Surprised no one noticed, but the honor guard is carrying German GEW 98 rifles, not US M1903's or M1917's as would be expected.

• 7 months later...

I was in Manhattan on business earlier this week, and happened across the Central Park memorial to the 107th Infantry. It is quite impressive--certainly a unique piece of sculpture. I also found the statue/memorial to the 7th NYNG's service in the Civil War, on the other side of the park, and the USS Maine memorial. Seeing all three made me forget the long flight from Missouri and the hassles with the airlines. Sadly, the statue of General Sherman at the southern end of Central Park was less impressive--a great monument, but sadly in need of some restoration work.

Great photos--thanks for posting.

Jeff

Yes I remember this one, the 7th NY.

post-34986-0-51869300-1356144220.jpg post-34986-0-77384300-1356144238.jpg

Came to me, another WWI memorial, this one in Rockaway Beach Queens, right at the foot of the Bridge that crosses Jamacia Bay and gives access to all the Rockaways.

post-34986-0-51944300-1356144502.jpg

Next up will the famous one located in Central Park right out side the Stone wall along 5th Avenue, it commemorates the 107th Infantry, 27th Division NYNG, this unit Division as we know fought up North in the British sector, thus the scupltor giving the men the correct Lee Enfield rifles that were used by these Troops.

post-34986-0-42880900-1356148525_thumb.jpg

Came across these differant views, realistic isn't it, the scupltor really caught the facial expressions here. The Sculptor was if you can believe a Sergeant in the Regiment in the World War Karl IIIava who not only sculpted it but designed it too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=107th+infantry+memorial&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8zHVUP7JEO-30QGOvoHwBQ&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=632

BTW while one of the men, the one on the left still has his bayonet slightly bent, I can remember back in the mid 80s some yoyo climbed up on the monument and bent that bayonet on the lead soldier really bad, the one that's bareheaded, took awhile to get it bent back or replaced, which ever they did

Great tour of my old home town's War Monuments. Thanks.....Bobgee

It was a labor of love finding them and posting and describing them, I glad you liked the topic.

• 11 months later...

And the Greenpoint Brooklyn monument done by the German born sculptor Carl Augustus Heber, sculptor of the 1905 statue of General Sheridan in Somerset Ohio.

post-34986-0-37490300-1385278970.jpg

Found this little interesting World War monument, it's in Staten Island and called the Travis WWI mermorial, it is located at the corner of Cannon Avenue and Victory Boulvard in a neighborhood called Travis. No idea on the Artillery piece, clearly 19th century.

Not sure what it says there Advance Over The Top?

post-34986-0-88067700-1385279835.jpg

And the rear of the Stone showing the WW dead from this neighborhood.

post-34986-0-48326800-1385279850.jpg

• 3 months later...

Patches,

Not to resurrect a thread but there are quite a bunch of War Memorials located on Staten Island. There is the Span Am soldier on the corner of Victory and Bay St. There is one in Rosebank on Tompkins ave. One on Father Capodano Blvd in Midland Beach. The one in Travis has a 6 pound gun in front of it. There is the Joseph Merrill Plaque in Clove Lakes which tells of how he came to be awarded the MOH in WW2. If you really want to see some great monuments go to Greenwood Cemetery in BK they have some wonderful ones from the CW.

Mack

There is also a monument to Angel Mendez at Mount Loretto. Angel Mendez was awarded the Navy Cross posthumously in VN 1967. Then there is the VN memorial that list the 87 dead from SI in VN on the corner of Manor RD and Martlings ave. These are all places I grew up going to and always struck me as very solemn places.

Mack

thefallenbuddha

For anyone interested, there is a book called Out of Fire and Valor that documents war memorials in the New York City area. I think most, if not all, of the memorials mentioned in this thread are discussed in that book.

Patches,

Not to resurrect a thread but there are quite a bunch of War Memorials located on Staten Island. There is the Span Am soldier on the corner of Victory and Bay St. There is one in Rosebank on Tompkins ave. One on Father Capodano Blvd in Midland Beach. The one in Travis has a 6 pound gun in front of it. There is the Joseph Merrill Plaque in Clove Lakes which tells of how he came to be awarded the MOH in WW2. If you really want to see some great monuments go to Greenwood Cemetery in BK they have some wonderful ones from the CW.

Mack

Posted the Travis one already and the one in Pleasant Plains.

But on your tip I found Rosebank SI, De Matti Park/Playground named in memory of Nicholas De Matti, De Matti was a Private in Company K, 310th Infantry, 78th Division, and a Staten Island native. He KIA in the Mihiel Sector at St. North Thiaucourt, France on September 26, 1918. Not sure if there's a statue there, maybe a plaque. And another one, on Forest Avenue in West Brighton

a Park/Playground. McDonald Playground.

Austin J. McDonald 1892-1918 was born in the City, but apparantly moved at some point over to Staten Island, and graduated from Curtis High School in Staten Island, and then from City College in 1913. He also studied at New York University and was employed as an auditor for the Penn Coal and Oaks Company. McDonald enlisted in the NG, taken into Company E, 107th Infantry, 27th Division on April 6, 1917, and was killed in action at St. Quentin Canal, Hindenburg Line, France, on September 29, 1918. His body was eventualy brought back to the United States by his family and reinterred in the Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. Again not sure if a statue of McDonald is here, possibly a plaque

If you ever get a chance there is also a Memorial that few know about at West Shore Little League that lists every Staten Islander killed in a conflict from the CW to today. I grew up playing in McDonald park and never knew the history thank you for enlightening me.

Mack

• 10 months later...

If you ever get a chance there is also a Memorial that few know about at West Shore Little League that lists every Staten Islander killed in a conflict from the CW to today. I grew up playing in McDonald park and never knew the history thank you for enlightening me.

Mack

A lot late I know, but here's the location in question, believe it or not I seen this once, oh back in 07, was working for a day near by and had a lot of down time, I discovered the field and looked aroundand seen the stone memorials, very interesting.

post-34986-0-21895500-1422677794.jpg

Found images of WWI memorials from around my neck of the woods in Queens, one can put there Great War Memorials up here, whether here in America, Great Britian, or Over there in France. tghis one is in Richmond Hill Queens, it called the Buddy memorial, just to the rear is a less large plaque, honering WWII Medal of Honor recipent Joseph E Schaefer 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division, a Richmond Hill boy, a living recipent, he lived for years in the old neibourhood.

Here's another view of the Buddy Memorial I found.

post-34986-0-60742000-1422678011.jpg

• 6 months later...

Remembered about this one, just had to google New York City Armories to jog the memory.

This one is a the main entrance to the old 14th Brooklyn's/1st Battalion 187th Artillery's Armory in Park Slope Bklyn. Ain't no Armory anymore I,m afraid, but the statue is still there. In the Great War the 14th Brooklyn was redesignated as the 2nd Pioneer Infantry, though a lot of it's people went over to the NY 106th Infantry, 27th Division and the 165th Infantry soon to be a part of the 42nd Division as reinforcements before these divisions went to France. The 2nd Pioneer Inf went over too, I think late around the early summer of 1918, and seen some action as a III Corps troop unit.

post-34986-0-65249300-1439426399.jpg

• 8 months later...