NYC WWI memorials

patches

Found images of WWI memorials from around my neck of the woods in Queens, one can put there Great War Memorials up here, whether here in America, Great Britian, or Over there in France. tghis one is in Richmond Hill Queens, it called the Buddy memorial, just to the rear is a less large plaque, honering WWII Medal of Honor recipent Joseph E Schaefer 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division, a Richmond Hill boy, a living recipent, he lived for years in the old neibourhood.

post-34986-1333995173.jpg

The next one is in Bushwick Brooklyn, Broadway and Myrtle about a 30 minute walk from where I live. It still there despite constant vandalism to it from the mid 70s on, the whole are turned into pretty much of a waste land in the 70s, this area became notorious during the Blackout of 1977, you will note that the tip of the Bayonet has been snaped off, the statue was at one point covered from head to toe in graffitti, but was cleaned up in the 90s.

post-34986-1333995593.jpg

Next up will the famous one located in Central Park right out side the Stone wall along 5th Avenue, it commemorates the 107th Infantry, 27th Division NYNG, this unit Division as we know fought up North in the British sector, thus the scupltor giving the men the correct Lee Enfield rifles that were used by these Troops.

post-34986-1333996651.jpg

And finally the one located in Rigdewood Queens this one is a a bit simpler, though no less poignant, it list 110 Ridgewood boys who were either KIA or Died in Service, this is the one where the men are mostly Germans, either German born immigrants, or 1st generation German/ Americans. On Bas Relief Panels one shows a Soldier with Lady liberty, a Sailor with the God Poseidon, and on the last a Flyer with an Angel.

post-34986-1333997561.jpg

A very impressive collection of bronzes Patches...fitting memorials to your fallen...and not dissimilar to the kind of WW1 memorials found all over the UK. Good thread! :thumbsup:

As people post these, could I ask that you place geo-positions? I'd love to visit them as I travel...most sites like these don't show up on maps or tourist info. I am "sappy" enough to seek these places out as I like to render my respects to those who served. Having the geo-tagged info (or at the very least, a link to the monument on Google maps) would be very helpful!

Here is the one I mention on the other site, this one being for the Spanish American War, I intially thought it was just only for the Phillipine Insurrection, I also said that it is in Union New Jersey, that was wrong, the mememorial is in fact in UNION CITY New Jersey, the area just alittle past the Lincoln Tunnel's Jersey side, I remember this statue, as I past it a many times while on a NJ transit bus heading somewhere in Jersey, Hackensack or Paterson, I was at that time working in Jersey.

post-34986-1334033960.jpg

As people post these, could I ask that you place geo-positions? I'd love to visit them as I travel...most sites like these don't show up on maps or tourist info. I am "sappy" enough to seek these places out as I like to render my respects to those who served. Having the geo-tagged info (or at the very least, a link to the monument on Google maps) would be very helpful!

I would really know how to do that Rally, but as I am very detailed in describing the photos I have put up to include Neiborhoods, perhaps you can take the info direct from the post and google it up, and see those Map points you need. Though you you Might want to pack some heat in visting the Bushwick Brooklyn one LOL, only joking, well maybe a little, it's gotten some what better since the crack wars of the 80s and 90s, but not by that much, for the most part it,s still a crime riden dump, with a high violent crime rate, for the most part, LOL.

What could a gallerie of WWI monuments in the Greater New York area be without the inclusion of one of most famous ? the memorial to Lieutnant Colonel, later Colonel, Father, Francis Duffy, Chaplain of the 69th New York Infantry/ 165th Infantry, 42nd Division. The statue is located in the center of Times Square. The bottom photo is taken I believe at the very first Armistice Day ceromony conducted at the site, this being November 11 1937, the statue itself was unveiled the previous May, during the unveiling it was blessed by the Archbishop of New York Patrick Joseph Cardinal Hayes, in the presence of not only the 165th Infantry, who marched crosstown from their armory, but veterans not only of the old 165th from the war, but vets far and wide. The soldiers present could be from the 165th Infantry NYNG, but could also be from a number of units that could be found in NYC, like the 16th Infantry, 1st Division, over on Governers Island's Fort Jay.

post-34986-1334459410.jpg

post-34986-1334459424.jpg

Very striking for the realism. Hopefully these will get more attention as we get closer to the 100th anniversary of WWI. Thanks for posting.

I am moving this to the MUSEUMS, BATTLEFIELDS, AND MONUMENTS Forum.

OH okay, You know I was not even aware of this other forum, thanks for letting me know and moving this over to the approriate forum.

carthage light guard

I was in Manhattan on business earlier this week, and happened across the Central Park memorial to the 107th Infantry. It is quite impressive--certainly a unique piece of sculpture. I also found the statue/memorial to the 7th NYNG's service in the Civil War, on the other side of the park, and the USS Maine memorial. Seeing all three made me forget the long flight from Missouri and the hassles with the airlines. Sadly, the statue of General Sherman at the southern end of Central Park was less impressive--a great monument, but sadly in need of some restoration work.

Great photos--thanks for posting.

Jeff

Patches,

I've really enjoyed your post. I have seen the statue on Central Park with the Doughboys holding SMLE's and I wondered what that was all about.

I have this picture of a Pvt. Andrew M. Howard (Field Hospital 107) playing swash buckler with M-1904 Hospital Corps Knives at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. They were stationed there while waiting to be shipped out to Europe. Do you know if there are any markers there that mention the park grounds being used for this purpose?

Thank you.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/VanCortlandtPark

post-70-1334659316.jpg

Fixbayonets!
What could a gallerie of WWI monuments in the Greater New York area be without the inclusion of one of most famous ? the memorial to Lieutnant Colonel, later Colonel, Father, Francis Duffy, Chaplain of the 69th New York Infantry/ 165th Infantry, 42nd Division. The statue is located in the center of Times Square. The bottom photo is taken I believe at the very first Armistice Day ceromony conducted at the site, this being November 11 1937, the statue itself was unveiled the previous May, during the unveiling it was blessed by the Archbishop of New York Patrick Joseph Cardinal Hayes, in the presence of not only the 165th Infantry, who marched crosstown from their armory, but veterans not only of the old 165th from the war, but vets far and wide. The soldiers present could be from the 165th Infantry NYNG, but could also be from a number of units that could be found in NYC, like the 16th Infantry, 1st Division, over on Governers Island's Fort Jay.

Did you take a photo of the George M Cohan memorial just opposite of Father Duffy in Times Square? I was just admiring the Father Duffy memorial, sitting on the steps behind it. Thanks for posting these photos!

Rob

Did you take a photo of the George M Cohan memorial just opposite of Father Duffy in Times Square? I was just admiring the Father Duffy memorial, sitting on the steps behind it. Thanks for posting these photos!

Rob

No, these are not personal photos but ones I searched for on line.

And more, the one with the shrouded angel, is in the Bronx. This one has a eerie quality to it. The sculpting of the angel's head is worthy of the Renaissance Masters in the way it catches the veil and the face under it. Like most monuments of all types in areas of NYC that came under Jungle Rule in the 70s, this one, as you can see has been vandalised, it was also covered in grafitti, but was cleaned up in the 90s.

post-34986-1334721434.jpg