WW2 Mountain gear released

doyler

carrabassett

A few years back I answered an ad in a local Want Advertiser for someone selling some WW2 and old ski gear. He was a retired postman and said he got all the stuff (plus a pair of USAAF fleece lined leather pants) surplus right after the war. He said there wasn't a high school kid in Maine who didn't have a pair of US skis bought surplus after the war. They would scrape off the white paint, sand and then polish up the hickory wood! I have a number of pairs myself like that. There was also a pair of US ski pants in the lot, early ski glasses/goggles, I think wax and not sure what else. He wore the flight pants delivering mail in snowstorms! I also recently bought a WW2 ski toboggan (which possibly came out of the USN Survival school in the Western Maine mountains) but apparently many of the first ski patrols used these before the more modern aluminum and fiberglass sleds became available. I have found lots of WW2 snowshoes, skis, poles, sleeping bags etc. up here in Maine. Much of it was produced up here (Norway, ME) but probably a lot was bought surplus after the war too. Doubt there was much demand for it in Florida or Texas!

Jim

• 3 years later...