WW1 American Ambulance Tunic

Just received this today.

Has some initials written in it. I don't know if American Ambulance rosters exist anywhere. He wasn't in the AFS, and this isn't an AFS era tunic as it is contract dated October of 1917. The buttons are makers marked Jewelers Products Corporation, provenance, RI. Has a nice US and Medical collar disk also.

It has a Wagoneer rank patch on the right sleeve, which I assume means he was an ambulance driver. It has a very nice AAS Rooster patch on the left sleeve. The honorable discharge chevron looks like your standard plain, rough material issue. But the three overseas service chevrons are much higher quality. I have heard of German made chevrons being of high quality, which could make sense given this soldier would have been overseas during the occupation period (contract date of 1917, likely he continued serving after the war for his third chevron).

Anyone seen overseas chevrons like this before that they can confirm where they originate from?

DEAD LINKS - dwiv

Check out my WW1 collection here:

http://greatwarcollection.weebly.com/index.html

They look like standard overseas service chevrons to me. He was "over there" for 18 months (plus) so he was around for a while! You can see a selection on a row of uniforms from my (former) WW1 collection.

Nice uniform!

Dave

Collection3.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Looking at the unit patch, I'd be interested to hear where it was made. Looks unusual construction for me...but I'm not a big WW1 patch guy.

Attached is one that was in my collection...

HulbertPatch.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why on the 10th tunic from the left, the honorable discharge chevron is yellow/gold and not red? Thank you

They look like standard overseas service chevrons to me. He was "over there" for 18 months (plus) so he was around for a while! You can see a selection on a row of uniforms from my (former) WW1 collection.

Nice uniform!

Dave

Why on the 10th tunic from the left, the honorable discharge chevron is yellow/gold and not red? Thank you

Red has always been an unstable colour, and it is not uncommon for red fabric to chane over time, especially when exposed to ultravilot light.

I have a 26th Yankie Division tunic and overcoat (from the vet's family) with Pink discharge stripes that were never put on. And then I have a tunic with medical brass that has a maroon 90th division patch and matching maroon discharge stripe. It seems colors vary a lot.

Very nice tunic, RelicHunter. My guess on the patch is that it might be French made, based on the stitching. Do any of the WWI patch collectors have an opinion?

And Dave, my jaw hit the floor when I saw that coat rack, especially the dozen plus YD patches staring back at me.

-- Jon

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 4 weeks later...