Best uniform reference book

peterfett

Can anyone tell me what the absolute best WWII US uniform reference book there is? I am in need of all the information I can get regarding uniforms and personal gear from the era and I would like to purchase a book to have in the collection. Any help is appreciated.

-Peter

Rakkasan187

Peter,

There is really no absolute best book out there for what you are asking, but with that being said there are several very good references that you could consider purchasing to build up a reference library. Our very own bookstore here on the forum have some good references and links to stores that carry a wide selection of books.

There are numerous books out there for each branch of service. Each book in its own has good and bad points. It would be rather difficult to say there is just one great example. When you start getting into specific topics or branches of service, seperate books have been written, such as the case with Airborne, Special Forces, US Marines, US Navy, ect.

I have over 1000 books in my reference library, and the reason I have so many books is because each one is unique becasue they all have different photgraphs, line drawings and illustrations that show uniforms in use.

I would reccommend the series written by Shelby Stanton for uniforms pertaining to the United States Army. He has 4 books dedicated to Army uniforms. WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the Cold War.

There are others who will also add to the list of reference books. From there you can decide what you want to add.

Leigh..

Peter,

There is really no absolute best book out there for what you are asking, but with that being said there are several very good references that you could consider purchasing to build up a reference library. Our very own bookstore here on the forum have some good references and links to stores that carry a wide selection of books.

There are numerous books out there for each branch of service. Each book in its own has good and bad points. It would be rather difficult to say there is just one great example. When you start getting into specific topics or branches of service, seperate books have been written, such as the case with Airborne, Special Forces, US Marines, US Navy, ect.

Leigh,

Great advice. I agree there are several good references. Also, as you said, it depends on the branch of service and the time frame.

I don't think any collector can have too many reference books. It is one of my addictions.

I don't have 1000 though! :lol: You definitely have me beat on that one!

....Kat

vintageproductions
This is where I keep some of mine .

owen

Yeah, but how many of these belong to someone else????????

Should RobL & I come over and check?????

Thanks for all the responses :thumbsup: I am particularly searching for field uniform and field gear reference for the Army during WWII.

I want to educate myself as much as possible so I do not purchase items that are either fake or pieced together with incorrect items (buttons, strings, straps, etc.). The goal now is to complete a mid war Army GI mannequin (which I am very close to completing), then eventually moving on to late and early war mannequin displays. After that I am sure I will move on to some other WWII era display as I really do not see myself ever stopping. I am a collector at heart. I collected vintage Star Wars toys for 18 years and have just recently stopped as I essentially own everything I ever wanted. Now I have moved on to WWII Army and it is SO addictive!!!

On a side note, I was burned on my first ever military purchase. I purchased something from a legitimate dealer (or so it seemed), and I was sent a helmet and liner that was from a different era (labeled as WWII). Pictures were provided, and if I knew anything at the time, I would have known to go somewhere else as the signs were clearly there. I blame myself for not being educated and not being able to spot what was CLEARLY Korean era. Since then I have purchased the book Helmets of the ETO by Regis Giard and it has helped tremendously in noticing the fine details of helmets and such. So, in essence, this is what I am looking for in reference for Army field uniform and gear during WWII. I understand one book will not have everything I am looking for, but I just need a good start.

Thanks again!

-Peter

Pointedcuffs

Encyclopedia of United States Army insignia and uniforms

By William K. Emerson - University of Oklahoma Press (1996) - Hardback - 674 pages