Military Art

RCleary171

Thanks Mr. Jerry. I'm glad you like my sketches. Here's a recent WWI sketch of a US Infantry soldier.

9ec27823e79be2b3a9ab10277ebcc506.jpg

Why are his chevrons pointed down? They started to be worn pointed up in 1902.

Why are his chevrons pointed down? They started to be worn pointed up in 1902.

I did not know that. I used a photo of a WWI reenactor so I must assume that he did not know that either.

Thanks for the info.

I did not know that. I used a photo of a WWI reenactor so I must assume that he did not know that either.

Thanks for the info.

wow great art! Wish I was that good, I have made a few sketches but nothing like that. Inspiring work!

I think the uniform and equipment was actually British which explains the chevrons pointing downward. The web pouches in particular look like Pattern 1908 models. http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/314101-p-08-webbing/

Here is a practice sketch I did in the past to try some technique, of a soldier in the 31st Infantry circa 1930s. I sent it to some friends for comments and criticisms, but not very favorable :lol:

soldier2forumsketch.jpg

wow great art! Wish I was that good, I have made a few sketches but nothing like that. Inspiring work!

I think the uniform and equipment was actually British which explains the chevrons pointing downward. The web pouches in particular look like Pattern 1908 models. http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/314101-p-08-webbing/

Here is a practice sketch I did in the past to try some technique, of a soldier in the 31st Infantry circa 1930s. I sent it to some friends for comments and criticisms, but not very favorable :lol:

attachicon.gifsoldier2forumsketch.jpg

Nice job - very good composition. Just curious - how long does it take you to render this type of picture?

Hi!

Thank you, I did it with a pencil, and worked a little bit each night when I had time, off and on. So I can't really say how long it would or should take, just that I worked on a little bit, piece by piece. First I started with a basic sketch of a standing person, and then penciled in more details. I actually had to stop and look up the detail (and still managed to mess the patch design up) a couple of times. I kind of worked on it as a study; one night the shoes and leggings, breeches and coat another night, hands, head and hat another. I definitely need some improvement, but it was fun to do.

Keep posting to this thread, it's fun and you have talent

Hi!

Thank you, I did it with a pencil, and worked a little bit each night when I had time, off and on. So I can't really say how long it would or should take, just that I worked on a little bit, piece by piece. First I started with a basic sketch of a standing person, and then penciled in more details. I actually had to stop and look up the detail (and still managed to mess the patch design up) a couple of times. I kind of worked on it as a study; one night the shoes and leggings, breeches and coat another night, hands, head and hat another. I definitely need some improvement, but it was fun to do.

Keep posting to this thread, it's fun and you have talent

I like your approach - I need to show more patience and split the work out over a few days (instead of trying to get the whole thing done in an hour).

You've got talent too and I hope you continue and share your art.