WWII USMC Grouping 4th Marine Div.

USMC-RECON0321

American Heritage

and if you are still along for the ride...here is an interesting discipline entry, esp. for ww2 Marines!

post-10864-1340856721.jpg

American Heritage

Forgot to mention that the documents contained in his personnel file co-oborates the information published in the Obituary (which was posted earlier in this thread.)

And, the records tell us that he was wounded on the 1st day on Iwo Jima - 19 Feb 1945!

He was in Golf Co., 2d Bn, 25th Marine Rgt, 4th MarDiv when he landed on Iwo.

2/25 History from Wikipedia states:

World War II

The Battalion was first activated on 1 May 1943 at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, as the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines. They relocated during August–September 1943 to Camp Pendleton, California. In September 1943, 2/25 was assigned to the 4th Marine Division. They were deployed for combat during January 1944 to Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands. They participated in the following World War II campaigns: Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. In October 1945, they relocated to Camp Pendleton, California and were deactivated on 31 October 1945.

PRIOR to 1 May 1943 (the date he joined to G 2/25), Pvt. Kincaid served with Co. G, 2d Bn, 23d Marines. Interestingly, his CO at this time was Capt. William G. Shoop.

There is a rare book written by a member of Co. G done for the reunions in the 1990's called, "This here's company G" by John E. Lane. I will scroll through and see if Kincaid is mentioned. I have a group very similar to this to Charles Medd who was with Co. G 2/25 WIA Iwo Jima.

American Heritage

Here is something interesting....According to the obituary, his wife Roberta M. (Stults) Kincaid survived him when he died. A Marriage Certificate in the personnel file indicates that Carl and Roberta were married at the Queen Street Methodist Church in Kingston NC on 8 May 1943. They stayed together through the war and well after it!!

Queen Street United Methodist Church

500 North Queen Street, Kinston, NC

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...0,0&iwloc=A

After exiting service, Sgt. Kincaid's forwarding address is listed as 608 14th Street, Middletown, OH. And here that address is...maybe this is the scene of that photo in the Bible??

608 14th Ave

Middletown, OH 45044

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=608+14th+str..._UGryawk-uK54XA

I found him! Sgt. Carl R. Kincaid was a squad leader in 3rd platoon. My group to Cpl. Charles Medd (A Pfc. on Iwo) was also in 3rd platoon as a BAR man in an assault squad. Great group!

Semper Fi

American Heritage
I found him! Sgt. Carl R. Kincaid was a squad leader in 3rd platoon. My group to Cpl. Charles Medd (A Pfc. on Iwo) was also in 3rd platoon as a BAR man in an assault squad. Great group!

Semper Fi

Wow, That is really a cool connection! Do you have a link to a thread on Cpl Medd and his grouping that you can paste here?

American Heritage
There is a rare book written by a member of Co. G done for the reunions in the 1990's called, "This here's company G" by John E. Lane. I will scroll through and see if Kincaid is mentioned. I have a group very similar to this to Charles Medd who was with Co. G 2/25 WIA Iwo Jima.

Just saw this! Would love to find a copy of that. Please let me know if he is mentioned in there somewhere!

Quote on pg 112 of "This Here's Company G" reads as follows regarding action at Saipan:

Plt. Sgt. Kenneth Buckner was another man who had earned rapid promotions-a Pfc. at Camp Pendelton, he was a Sergeant by Saipan, and promoted again in August. Unlinke Sgt. Strange, he would come into the tent of his platoon and ask why 'guys didn't stay in high school rather than come into the Marine Corps. 'We were too young to die,' he'd say,' according to Charles Medd. If Steele's machine gun platoon was no "band of brothers," then the 3rd Platoon seemed to be approaching it. Still, the replacements viewed the veterans with some awe. Pfc. Smith remembers the story told of Sgt. Kincaid on Saipan: "During a Banzai attack, a fellow shot a Japanese officer who then fell into his fox hole, quivering and thrashing in his death throes. Kincaid walked over and took a sword from the officer's hand as other Marines were still trying to get out of the hole. "Kincaid, I think, loved the adventure of war, putting his life on the line all the time; a true Holland Smith Marine." He was "always hanging loose and joking about things which happened on Saipan and Tinian."

Very small world in that this man, Kincaid whose trunk you have and Medd whose uniform I have are mentioned together in the same paragraph!

Wow, That is really a cool connection! Do you have a link to a thread on Cpl Medd and his grouping that you can paste here?

No I need to take some shots of it and post it. I will try and do that in a seperate thread and put a link to this one.

BigJohn#3RD

All,

Truly awesome grouping and collaboration in bringing all the information together and connecting to the history of the group.

Regards,

John

I'm a little confused :think:, who's grouping is this??

I'm guessing the group now belongs to American Heritage ? :dunno:

I'm thinking so...if you look towards the beginning, he made an offer to buy it....

.....oh yeah, and I'm pretty jealous about it! :whistling:

manayunkman

As I see it there are 3 stories here. The actual stuff, the supporting documents and that it seams that the group changed hands during this thread. All worthy stories that make this an excellent topic.

USMC-RECON0321

Sorry guys, been busy with work lately. But yes, American Heritage is now the proud owner of this great grouping and helped me along with tracking down the research of this fine Marine. I didn't have the room to properly display this grouping and American Heritage will give it the display it deserves.

Thanks again Don.

Troy

American Heritage

Thanks Troy,

for preserving the group and letting me assist in the research. I will preserve and display the grouping to honor this Marine hero.

My thanks to everyone who commented and who added some research info and background to this fantastic grouping!

Here are some pics. I need to add the original belt of course, but I chose a handy leather belt when I took the pics.

post-10864-1341093778.jpg

American Heritage

in my office now!

that's his cover too, but the belt is not. Need to put his belt on to make it complete and original.

post-10864-1341094279.jpg