Huge grouping of retired Colonel - NAMED

all1knew

Hello all,

I came across this fantastic grouping and wanted some more information. I am fairly new to the forum but not the collector community. I have been an avid collector of WW2 German items for nearly 15 years and do come across US stuff from time to time. With that being said, I posted this grouping on a German collecting forum and was provided with a link to this site.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to sell this as a lot, as that's the way it came (from the Dump by a garbage picker and I kid you not)

Considering the gentlemen was a PH and SS recipient this needs to get into the hands of somebody that will appreciate it.

Like I said, I collect German ww2, thus I don't really know a current market value on something like this and would appreciate being steered in the right direction. I can't put this on eBay due to the PH and SS medals but here we have his entire service.

Found this from an obituary online:

Joseph Baranowski was born on April 22, 1919, in New Britain. He married the former Mary Tresadern on November 6, 1943, in London, England. Mr. Baranowski was a retired Colonel from the United States Army. He was a veteran of World War II and Korea. During World War II, he served in the European, African and Middle Eastern Theaters. He was awarded the Silver Star with two Oak Leaf Clusters: a Bronze Star with One Oak Leaf Cluster; the Legion of Merit and the Purple Heart. At the end of World War II, he was a liaison to the Russian Army. He was also an advisor to the Iranian and South Korean Armies. Later in his career, he was the Senior Army Advisor to the Connecticut National Guard.

Through my minimal research, he had a brother named Frank that was in the Navy in WWII and another brother named Bill that also served in the second World War.

I was told that he's listed as having received the SS under GO 57 of the 5th Infantry Division in 1945 and here is his citation comments:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain (Infantry), [then First Lieutenant] Joseph Baranowski, United States Army, for gallantry in action while serving with the 2d Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division, in action on 24 March 1945 near Trebur, Germany. From well concealed positions in a densely wooded area, a large enemy force concentrated heavy automatic weapons fire into our advancing unit. Although casualties were sustained and the progress momentarily halted, Captain Baranowski, the Company Commander, oblivious to the hail of enemy fire, moved to a forward position shouting words of encouragement and urged his men to resume the advance. So inspired were his men by his dauntless and courageous leadership, that they successfully annihilated the enemy strongpoint and attained their objective.

Where would I go to check and see what his citations say for the other Silver Stars, the Bronze Stars and his Purple Heart?

William Kramer

post-83697-1333414390.jpg

canadian bacon

i think you are looking at a very nice and desireable grouping and someone will pay a good amount for this group . (sorry but i don't like giving prices especially if i am interested in potentially buying it)

cheers michael

p.s. if you figure out a price i would be interested in this one

i think you are looking at a very nice and desireable grouping and someone will pay a good amount for this group . (sorry but i don't like giving prices especially if i am interested in potentially buying it)

cheers michael

p.s. if you figure out a price i would be interested in this one

While I appreciate your honesty, this is exactly what I need the advice of the forum on. Like I said, I collect German military and while I have a vague idea of its value (I would assume $5-700) it may actually be worth considerably more. I'm not trying to be the new guy demanding answers, I just don't want to be taken advantage of. I have a small display of WW2 awards in my collection and have always wanted to add to it, but I don't need an entire grouping, which is why I'm looking to pass it on. I did happen to find an image of the Officer through my searches.

William Kramer

post-83697-1333416677.jpg

canadian bacon

$500-700 is a fair estimate i would personally think $600-800 maybe more.

cheers michael

$500-700 is a fair estimate i would personally think $600-800 maybe more.

cheers michael

Michael,

Once again I appreciate your help with everything and your honesty.

William Kramer