Civil Defense Helmet MP

AndrewA74

Hello,

Can anyone give more information on what this is? A French man sent me these pics and ask me to put these pics here.

Thanks,

Andrew

post-889-1199493497.jpg

Andrew,

It is probably wartime. The wartime CD insignia for the Auxiliary Police was this red shield within a white triangle and blue circle. The postwar insignia was a red CD inside the triangle and circle. I don't know exactly when the insignia changed however.

Civil Defense Auxiliary Police were first formed in 1941 but local governments. Some apparently are still in operation and many others have dropped the "Civil Defense" part of the name and become part of their local police departments (New York City did that in 1967), still called "Auxiliary Police."

I wold guess that is an early war helmet since so many of the later ones seem to be the "deep dish" style helmet.

police-helmet.jpg

We've got another CDAP helmet in a thread at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=907

Here are some WWII Civil Defense pictures from Honolulu (all by Army Signal Corps). Note: All photo are captioned on the back and the term "Civilian Defense" is used consistently throughout.

This is an Assistant Medical Officer from Kaahumanu unit. Taken during Civilian Defense - United States Army gas maneuvers. Sept. 20, 1943. Note CD Medical brassard on doctor's arm and M-1917A1 helmet.

240663086-L.jpg

Air raid warden during Civilian Defense Air Raid Test, Honolulu, in which downtown Honolulu was evacuated. Nov. 4, 1943. Note CD Warden brassard and "W" on his M-1917A1 helmet.

240663100-L.jpg

Honolulu Police Department officers donning gas masks during Civilian Defense Air Raid Test, in downtown Honolulu. Nov. 4, 1943. Note their M-1917A1 helmets and the pre-donut belt-lines on these cops.

240663106-L.jpg

• 11 months later...