"Kill" decal

Fixbayonets!

Hi Ken,

In the kit as I found it, there were just the five shown and due to the significance of that number, I'd like to keep it intact. I will keep you in mind if I run across another one though. Another example I remembered is in the back of a log book and represents the lone victory of a VF-16 Hellcat pilot.

Best regards, Paul

post-9787-1348748263.jpg

Hi Ken,

In the kit as I found it, there were just the five shown and due to the significance of that number, I'd like to keep it intact. I will keep you in mind if I run across another one though. Another example I remembered is in the back of a log book and represents the lone victory of a VF-16 Hellcat pilot.

Best regards, Paul

post-9787-1348748263.jpg

Greetings from B.C.'s west coast Paul..... Thanks for the extra image! Thanks also for keeping me in mind, should you come across another example of the decal. Cheers again. Ken

Paul, Rob et al ....

Sending out a copy image (enlarged) of the small Japanese flag decal illustration that appeared in one of the wartime publication I mentioned. The original illustration only measures 1 3/4" x 2 3/8" in size, and is captioned - 'SCORE CARDS' for Navy flyers ... I guess space was at a premium back then! Cheers - Ken post-102572-1348763960.jpg

Oh, I would love to own a decal like that. I have never seen them before. I allways believed that they were painted on.

All the best

Stig Erik

Some were painted on and some used decals. I have seen cut out pieces of fuselage, with provenance, that had hand painted rising sun kills.

Rob

Simply Outstanding, Paul!

Appreciate the nice photo. :thumbsup:

Gentlemen,

Here is an original packet of kill decals, as described by Ken in post #15 above, from the A&R Dept., NAS San Diego:

post-9787-1348573479.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Hi, Johnny,

An interesting thought, not sure if that was actually done for any singular combat squadron. One longtime collector had seen this decal before and thought it was generally available for use.

Anybody have any info on this particular decal??

pat

I think your decal with the bomb going through the sun is in refference to the bomb on the unit's patch , they are both facing the same way, it was probably made specifically for this squadron only .

Johnny

Warning: Please don't be tempted to use old water-slide decals. I had some 50s helmet decals in ostensibly mint condition...still in their paper packet. When I proceeded to soak them in water as per the instructions they disintegrated!! :o

Oh, I would love to own a decal like that. I have never seen them before. I allways believed that they were painted on.

All the best

Stig Erik

I was thinking the same thing.

And I was thinking the same thing as Johnny on the yellow bomb.

Great thread with interesting information.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to return this thread to the top and see if anybody had anymore information 1) on this particular decal with the bomb and 2) if any other variations of decal were out there to be posted.

post-3673-0-61785000-1355686120.jpg