"Kill" decal

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I have this unused fuselage decal for downing a Japanese aircraft, one out of a book of 50 brought home by a vet. I was wondering if anyone else has examples of "kill" decals they can share?

Rob

post-168-1333240766.jpg

Here is one that I picked up several years ago from a 5th AAF crew member. It still retains the tissue over the decal. Gregg

post-6237-1333300286.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Another very nice decal! I guess there were a few different manufacturers as I see variations in all three of the decals posted so far.

Rob

northcoastaero
Here is one that I picked up several years ago from a 5th AAF crew member. It still retains the tissue over the decal. Gregg

What are the dimensions of the 5th AF kill decal?

Nice thread, Rob!

Here is a hard to find decal that came home with a marine from the VSMB-236...I know very little about these decals. :blink: So it would be nice to learn more about them...

post-3673-1333597749.jpgpost-3673-1333597887.jpg

Here is a WWII Kwik Way Japanese Victory Kills Decal Set

The vessel decals are 3 x 1.5 inches. Small! Again, I know very little about these...

post-3673-1333908831.jpg

I believe KWIK Way decals were one of the more larger makers of Aircraft Victory Flags. I have some by this maker myself and have seen other sets seperate and within groups.

JD

I saw one at a show awhile back and didnt buy it and have regreted it every since.Would love to have a couple for my collection of German and Japanese.

Thanks for showing guys.

• 1 month later...
What are the dimensions of the 5th AF kill decal?

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to your question. The overall measurement is 4 3/4" x 3 3/8", the flag its measures 4"X2 3/4". Gregg

collectsmedals

It is not a "kill" decal, but here is a picture I took onboard USS Nimitz in 1981 of the "kill" painted on the tail of an F-14 Tomcat from VF-41 "Black Aces" after it's crew shot down one of two Libyan Sukhoi SU-22 fighters on August 19, 1981.

post-294-1339128992.jpg

• 3 months later...
I have this unused fuselage decal for downing a Japanese aircraft, one out of a book of 50 brought home by a vet. I was wondering if anyone else has examples of "kill" decals they can share?

Rob

Sept. 22 - 3:30 p.m.

Greetings Rob: I just joined the ranks yesterday. I went through some of the postings and noted your request for information. I'm still looking for an example of one of these victory markings, so if you know of anyone who has duplicates I would be interested in hearing from them.

I have one related item on hand - it's a short write-up that was published in either the Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated magazine during WW-2. It features the image of one of the victory flags, plus the following wording:

'Score Cards for Navy flyers are supplied in envelopes like this. They are Rising Sun decalcomanias to stick on planes...'

'These 'score cards' are furnished by The Assembly and Repair Department U.S. Naval Air Station San Diego, Calif.

Best of Luck

Stock Replenished Upon Request

A small brown paper envelope (about the same size as the flag) was used to hold the decals.

Decalcomania was a U.S.-based company that produced a variety of decals for both aircraft and other vehicles. If memory serves, they also produced travel declas that one could place on trailers/travel vans back in the 1950s.

Your item seems to have been produced by a different manufacturer, and there were undoubtedly several.

I made a scan of the item I have, but haven't figured out how to attach them to e-mails!!!

Cheers. Ken (kajunken)

It is not a "kill" decal, but here is a picture I took onboard USS Nimitz in 1981 of the "kill" painted on the tail of an F-14 Tomcat from VF-41 "Black Aces" after it's crew shot down one of two Libyan Sukhoi SU-22 fighters on August 19, 1981.

Do you remember if it is Lt Larry "Music" Muczynski or Cdr Henry "Hank" Kleeman's F-14?

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the information & welcome to the forum! A friend of mine turned up a pack of 50 of these Japanese kill decals from a vets estate & I was able to add the one posted to my collectioin. Unfortunately this was many years ago & all of those kill decals have since been sold off, if I hear of any others I will keep you in mind.

Rob

Nice thread, Rob!

Here is a hard to find decal that came home with a marine from the VSMB-236...I know very little about these decals. :blink: So it would be nice to learn more about them...

post-3673-1333597749.jpgpost-3673-1333597887.jpg

I think your decal with the bomb going through the sun is in refference to the bomb on the unit's patch , they are both facing the same way, it was probably made specifically for this squadron only .

Johnny

Do you remember if it is Lt Larry "Music" Muczynski or Cdr Henry "Hank" Kleeman's F-14?

I too would like to know, as this particular incident (along with VF-32's engagement in 1989) used to be a pet research/modeling project of mine... and still is to a certain extent.

I'm gonna take a stab and say that it's Fast Eagle 107. (Muczynski's jet) But that's something of a not-so-random guess.

Fade to Black...

I too would like to know, as this particular incident (along with VF-32's engagement in 1989) used to be a pet research/modeling project of mine... and still is to a certain extent.

I'm gonna take a stab and say that it's Fast Eagle 107. (Muczynski's jet) But that's something of a not-so-random guess.

The 1981 Gulf of Sidra incident and what the Polish-born American Lt Muczynski did there at the controls of his F-14 is miniature case study of what WWII Western Allies did against their Polish Ally and how much the USA, UK and France sold Poland after WWII to the Commies' hands during Teheran, Yalta and Potsdam conferences. I have always been very proud that the Polish-born US fighter pilot Lawrence Muczynski performed a "Grand Final" for idiotic story typical for Cold War era.

In that era the Libyan military pilots were trained in the Polish Air Force Academy at Dęblin. What is more, the Libyans delivered to Poland the CoCom-embargoed US-made elements of modern avionics they were able to buy illegally on international market. For the Libyans the Polish Air Force Institute of Technology manufactured of those components (made by the Texas Instruments among others) the most sophisticated avionics the Su-22s have ever been equipped with.

Take a look at entire idiotism of that situation -- what one group of the Poles in the Cold War era did against free world then another Pole (i.e. Polish-born American) Lt Muczynski shot down over Gulf of Sidra on August 19th, 1981. Aren't geopolitics and history crazy? It is like political-historical cabaret.

Many Poles were proud very much of Lt. Lawrence Muczynski. The Gulf of Sidra / Lt Muczynski case study clearly shows entire f... up 20th Century history of my country.

Best regards

Gregory

Gentlemen,

Here is an original packet of kill decals, as described by Ken in post #15 above, from the A&R Dept., NAS San Diego:

post-9787-1348573479.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the information & welcome to the forum! A friend of mine turned up a pack of 50 of these Japanese kill decals from a vets estate & I was able to add the one posted to my collectioin. Unfortunately this was many years ago & all of those kill decals have since been sold off, if I hear of any others I will keep you in mind.

Rob

Good afternoon Rob - Hopefully somewhere along the line another one will show up. Cheers for now. Ken

Gentlemen,

Here is an original packet of kill decals, as described by Ken in post #15 above, from the A&R Dept., NAS San Diego:

post-9787-1348573479.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Good evening Paul - Thanks for uploading the photo. I'll have to work on the 'how to do it' aspect of this website, so I can start posting photos, etc.. Do you happen to have any spares of the kill decals? Would like to add one to my collection. I have a number of examples of German WW-2 kill markings (ground dug Russia) and one victory marking that was painted on the side of the aircraft (small hakenkreuz) - but the Japanese items have eluded me to date. Cheer for now. Kenj

Nice set of decals Paul:)!!!

Regards,

Jerry

Gentlemen,

post-9787-1348573479.jpg

Best regards, Paul