Union Jack

hink441

Here is an American Union Jack that I have had for awhile. I always thought these were really cool and was happy to get one for myself. Thanks for looking.

Chris

SANY0168-2.jpg

SANY0175-1.jpg

Here is an American Union Jack that I have had for awhile. I always thought these were really cool and was happy to get one for myself. Thanks for looking.

Chris

I have a wool 48 star jack. In the process of framing it. they are unique looking.

Educate a non-American here. What's the significance of the flag minus the stripes? (I realise the stars represent the individual states) Our flag, properly known as the Union Flag is commonly referred to as the "Union Jack" and harks back to our long naval traditions. Where does the American name stem from? Thanks.

I have a wool 48 star jack. In the process of framing it. they are unique looking.

I would really like to see some pictures when you get it framed.

Chris

Educate a non-American here. What's the significance of the flag minus the stripes? (I realise the stars represent the individual states) Our flag, properly known as the Union Flag is commonly referred to as the "Union Jack" and harks back to our long naval traditions. Where does the American name stem from? Thanks.

This is the first US Naval Jack.

post-10825-1333283622.png

This is a quote from Wiki;

"The jack is flown on the bow (front) of a ship and the ensign is flown on the stern (rear) of a ship when anchored or moored. Once under way, the ensign is flown from the main mast."

The primary jack design until September 11, 2002 was the blue canton with stars (the "union") from the U.S. national ensign. Since September 2002, the US Navy has made use of the so-called First Navy Jack. However, the standard US jack (i.e., 50 white stars on a blue field) continues to be used as the jack by vessels of the US Coast Guard, the Military Sealift Command, and NOAA, to name but a few federal agencies. The blue, starred jack is referred to as the Union Jack, but should not be confused with the British Union Jack. Like the ensign, the number of stars on the jack has increased with each state admitted into the union. Rules for flying the jack are similar to the national ensign, except that the jack is only worn at the bow when the ship is anchored, made fast or alongside.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thank you Chris. Vexillology is a fascinating subject!

Ian :thumbsup:

I don't know about that fancy word "Vexillology" but I sure like the history of flags. :whistling: Add dry humor here.

Chris

This is the first US Naval Jack.

post-10825-1333283622.png

This is a quote from Wiki;

"The jack is flown on the bow (front) of a ship and the ensign is flown on the stern (rear) of a ship when anchored or moored. Once under way, the ensign is flown from the main mast."

The primary jack design until September 11, 2002 was the blue canton with stars (the "union") from the U.S. national ensign. Since September 2002, the US Navy has made use of the so-called First Navy Jack. However, the standard US jack (i.e., 50 white stars on a blue field) continues to be used as the jack by vessels of the US Coast Guard, the Military Sealift Command, and NOAA, to name but a few federal agencies. The blue, starred jack is referred to as the Union Jack, but should not be confused with the British Union Jack. Like the ensign, the number of stars on the jack has increased with each state admitted into the union. Rules for flying the jack are similar to the national ensign, except that the jack is only worn at the bow when the ship is anchored, made fast or alongside.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Quite a few current Naval vessels began flying this jack after 9/11. I know the USS Underwood did while I was TAD to her for deployment in 2001.

Camp_Kearny

Prior to 2002, I believe the second oldest ship in the US Navy, the USS Constitution being the oldest, had the honor of flying the 1st Navy Jack. Not sure what the current status is of the 1st Navy Jack on US Navy ships, it has been a long time since I've been to the wet side of 32nd Street Naval Station. Has anyone seen a US Navy marked 1st Navy Jack for sale? I only see the mass market 1st Navy Jacks for sale and quality of most of those is pretty aweful.

Ian

Quite a few current Naval vessels began flying this jack after 9/11. I know the USS Underwood did while I was TAD to her for deployment in 2001.

It was actually mandated for all ships to fly this jack after 9/11. When I left the Navy, they were still flying it. I don't think they've gone back to the blue-field Union Jack.

Dave

I was aboard the USS Constitution last August. As I recall, she was only flying Ol' Glory?

Ships fly both the Union Jack and the US flag while moored. The Union Jack would be on the CONSTITUTION somewhere (I think they have it up on the bowsprit...I think that's what the part that sticks out on the front is called...) :lol::lol:

There you go...you can see it up forward (not sure where they actually have it attached...)

Just so you know, the actual halyard on the Constitution that the Jack is flying from is referd to as a "Triatic Stay". It is a halyatr atatched to a section of "Standing Rigging". At various times in her life, Consititution had an actual "Jack Staff".

OK, every one is correct. The Jack is officially, the "Union Jack". for the US Naqvy, it is/was. the canton of the National flag. In this case, the blue field with the satar. They appear pretty much the same pattern as on the flag, and the regs, (DNC-10) say that you can take the canton from the ensign (national falg ) and use it as a Jack. The Jack flown will be the same size as the canton of the flag you are flying. OK, During the American Bicentinial 1975-1976, we all flew the Rattel Snak Jack. On July 5th 1976, we all went back to the blue jack. Then, Late 1990s, they decided the oldest ship in commission, in service, would fly the rattle snake jack. That happened to be my first ship, USS Kitty Hawk (I had been gone for a long time by then). Then, after, SEPT, 11, 2001, it was decided to fly it all the time on all ships until further notice. Eventually, we (the USN) will go back to the blue jack.

OK, Most nations that have a seperate Naval Jack (such as the UK) will use their national flag as the jack (as does Japan who still use the rising sun flag as their Naval ensign). Nations that use their national flag as the Naval ensign, will use something representing the nation as aJack.

Hope that helps. BTW, love the rattle snake jack. I have a holiday that "followed me home as a young SM2 from the USS Bradley after a duty day on July 4 1976. :rolleyes: Some how, it jumped inot my laundry bag to be discovered when I got home. :think: Since we were no longer using them, it was homeless. As a Signalman, what could I do? I couldn't turn the poor thing out into the cold and snow of a San Diego July! ;)

Steve Hesson

I would love to get a real First Navy Jack, not the cheesy ones you see for sale everywhere. Steve, I am glad you were able to give that Holiday orphan a good home! I would love to see a picture of her. I remember the holiday flags and they were huge, how big are the holiday Jacks?

I have a holiday that "followed me home as a young SM2 from the USS Bradley after a duty day on July 4 1976. :rolleyes: Some how, it jumped inot my laundry bag to be discovered when I got home. :think: Since we were no longer using them, it was homeless. As a Signalman, what could I do? I couldn't turn the poor thing out into the cold and snow of a San Diego July! ;)

Steve Hesson

Ya know something, Steve? It is amazing how these thing happen. Strangely enough, a similar situation happened to me once or twice. It seems that somehow, the daily ensign and jack (the canton) had been left in the POOW desk on our quarterdeck after we had gotten underway and remained there for several days. Somehow, after they were removed from the QD, they ended up in my locker for safe-keeping. We returned to port after a spell and I discovered the flags in my laundry. Strange! It also happened that the captain's gig ensign and jack (also the canton) made their way to my home.

Odd.

Here's a 48 star union jack no 7 that I have. Think this is ww2 era?

post-2501-1333320885.jpg

post-2501-1333320893.jpg

Jason

I'd say that flag dates at the very latest, prior to 1959.

• 8 months later...

I finally found an affordable 48 star USN Jack the other day. I have been looking for one of these for awhile now. It is wool and has some moth damage. It also has re-inforced corners. This one has brass grommets and says Union Jack #7" on the flag. I read somwhere that the flags that have brass grommets are post WW2, and that WW2 flags had steel grommets. Does anyone know for sure?? Thanks for looking.

Chris

post-10825-0-67081400-1355948336.jpg

My son is currently serving aboard the USS Henry M. Jackson SSBN 730 and I asked him which jack they are flying and he said they are using the Blue Star Jack but other subs in Bremerton are still using the Rattle Snake Jack.