I need help to identify the locations of these pictures I took 34 years ago at Normandy...

kfields

And I wonder if some of this stuff is still there.

In early May of 1978, the local boy scouts where I was stationed at Panzer Kaserne, Germany, were planning a trip to Normandy. They needed some adult supervision and I was one of the volunteers. My time in the service was ending three weeks later so this was pretty much my last trip. We stayed at a small campground overlooking the water as I recall.

It was a fun trip...Normandy, Verdun and other sights in between.

I took a bunch more pictures of my visit but these are all I have of Normandy as I lost my camera (and film) at the airport in the U.S. soon after I returned to the States on May 20th.

I refound these photos a couple weeks ago and most or all of them I presume to be the Normandy area. Can some of you help ID the exact locations for me and/or provide the names? I never bothered to write on the back of the photos way back then!

Also, how much of this stuff is still around like those "things" in the water? Can a person still climb and investigate everything like we were able to at that time?

Thanks for your help!

Kim

post-60-1333226982.jpg

post-60-1333226990.jpg

post-60-1333226998.jpg

post-60-1333227010.jpg

post-60-1333227022.jpg

Arromanches...US Airborne Museum, Ste Mere Eglise...US Cemetery at St Laurent...ESB monument (currently being discussed elsewhere on the forum)...Colleville-Sur-Mer.

The concrete stuff in the water was part of the artificial harbor at Arromanches.

The American Military Cemetery is the one overlooking Omaha Beach (Saint-Laurent - Colleville).

The church is the famous one in Sainte-Mère-Eglise.

The parachute shaped building is the Airborne Museum at Sainte-Mère-Eglise.

Then you have the 5th Engineer Special Brigade Monument (see topic elsewhere telling about its insignia that was stolen from it) on top of a German bunker (Wn62).

The BRO Monument is not far from the 5th ESB Monument.

Erwin

The concrete stuff in the water was part of the artificial harbor at Arromanches.

The American Military Cemetery is the one overlooking Omaha Beach (Saint-Laurent - Colleville).

The church is the famous one in Sainte-Mère-Eglise.

The parachute shaped building is the Airborne Museum at Sainte-Mère-Eglise.

Then you have the 5th Engineer Special Brigade Monument (see topic elsewhere telling about its insignia that was stolen from it) on top of a German bunker (Wn62).

The BRO Monument is not far from the 5th ESB Monument.

Erwin

What is BRO please ? I see this often and have no idea what this stands for :)

What is BRO please ? I see this often and have no idea what this stands for :)

Patches...you're ex-US Army...are you kidding?! :w00t: Big Red One....1st Inf div.

Patches...you're ex-US Army...are you kidding?! :w00t: Big Red One....1st Inf div.

Thanks Ian. Sorry, In my day, we didn't use the many abbervations that are seen today, for instance the use of ID to describe Infantry Divisions, like 7th ID, we just said plain old 7th Division in full and in print, I started hearing this ID in the mid 80s from a guy from my neibourhood that was in at the time. I would say in fact perhaps upwards of 70% of terms are orignated by collectors.

Lucky 7th Armored

I just got back from Europe, its weird seeing these pictures from back then, because i saw pretty much everything you just posted!

Haydn