early duffel or seabag info needed please

skinsfan

found this early style duffel today..it had an early ww2 sleeping bag inside but i'm curious as to the vintage of this one...it's in great shape with leather tabbed handles and maker tag intact...there is a brown cloth extension that pulls out and has a set of ties..not sure how my pics are going to work but here goes-scott

post-13311-1333220367.jpg

Private Purchased item?, my guess (and it is a guess) would be WWII Era? Hope that might help out a tiny bit.

Mark

Corpl. Cleaver

Bag looks to be Pre WWII, but looks like the guy used it during the war.

I was just in Martinsburg, WV last week too

thanks guys..picked it up on a whim..probably a nice researchable item for someone...the bag looks to be a 1940 model (looks exactly like the one in the collectors guide but also has no military markings that i can find-scott

Not uncommon to find these private purchase items as officers had to buy many of the items they used.Have seen the officers bed rolls and various sleeping bags/ground mats in bags like these.Local auction had a couple from a officer stenciled in the same manner.He served in the Aleutians then the pacific.Seen items from Sears,JC Penny,Abercrombie and Fitch etc.

i guess rank didn't always have its privileges....what the heck is the "CE' designation on the 1st lt rank?????

i guess rank didn't always have its privileges....what the heck is the "CE' designation on the 1st lt rank?????

Im guessing thr CE may be for Corps of Engineers

Dont recall the local officers bag stenciling but he was also an engineer.I missed most of his field gear but got his uniforms

Go to a local library or news paper ofice and see if they have any old WW2 articles on him.