IMPORTANT QUESTION TO DRESS IN A PUBLIC EVENT

Jamecharles

I think the main point is are you invited to attend in Period Uniform, or do you intend to turn up un-invited in Period Uniform.

If you are invited (I would suggest in Writing) to attend in Period Uniform, then by god get the detail right and all be wearing it for the right reason! Remain in the background unless detailed to do otherwise and never let those who have invited you down.

If you are planning on attending univited then expect flak and posible eviction from the service. Dont be supprised if you get little or no support from even your fellow Living Historian.

Tread very carefully and know what you are doing ;)

Regards

Lee

If I may say so, the British FAAA, as represented by Lee (above) are past-masters at this kind of thing. Just check out their archive threads to see how something like this should be done.....with honour, dignity and respect...and awesome attention to detail and actions. I'm pretty damn sure they don't just turn up, uninvited and wander around in uniform! They're as well-drilled and disciplined as "regulars".

I think the main point is are you invited to attend in Period Uniform, or do you intend to turn up un-invited in Period Uniform.

They say: "When in doubt, just ask". That's what my friend has just done here and answers are enlightening.

The event will take place on italian soil under American Battle Monuments Commission administration, so it's open to general public.... and it always happens that among the public someone shows up in historical uniform.

After seeing many pictures of fellow reenactors, in recent years, participating to this event in historical uniforms (apparently well accepted by US civilians and military personnel) and receiving invitations just from them to join the same celebration in a similar attire, we're asking ourselves that question: which (historical) uniform is appropriate, if one exists?

To me none and personally, should I decide to attend that particular event I would wear civilian clothes: this is not a "reenacting event", no need for historical uniforms.

Now it just seems a matter of personal taste, instead, like no rules, apart from common sense, are written somewhere.

.... and it always happens that among the public someone shows up in historical uniform.

As I have to tell my kids many times ... "just because someone else is doing it doesn't make it right".

I do realize there are some differences between US and European events. A few years back, I was in Belgium for work, and happened to be there on Veteran's Day. Here is a group of vets going to place a wreath on a monument. Very solemn ... very dignified .... suits and ties ... no costumes.

post-2144-1333302375.jpg

Thanks ... Tim

• 2 weeks later...

As a reenactor and a US military veteran, I wouldn't feel right attending a military honor ceremony, especially at a cemetery, in period uniform without expressed invitation from the event planners - typically as an honor guard. The point of these ceremonies is to honor those that gave their lives for service and country. Wearing something to stand out, even with intent to teach and honor those fallen, diverts some of that attention. I enjoy my hobby and I think there are both honorable and selfish intentions involved with it. However, let ceremonies such as these be sacred and off limits. Let these fallen servicemen and women have their moment. Some of them only get this honor once a year... sometimes once a decade.

Think of it this way: would you attend the funeral of a soldier who died in Iraq or Afghanistan in the uniform he probably would've worn?