Early Army Band Chevrons

hardstripe

I obtained the chevron pictured below several years ago at a Militaria show. I have not been able to positively identify it. The chevron is 4 ¼ inches wide and 6 ½ inches tall. Construction is of white wool machine sewn on a dark blue or black wool. The is machine embroidered. I had assumed this chevron were for a high school or college marching band.

I found the photo online but unfortunately, did not take down the source. It appears that the chevrons in the picture are very similar to the three illustrated below. The photo of the bandsman with the trombone appears to be an 8 by 10, therefore the chevrons in the picture look to be about 4 ¼ inches wide. The lyre is very similar to the one in the picture above.

post-60620-1333064796.jpg

post-60620-1333064941.jpg

They look more like a military school band chevron because of the tie at the end of the stripes and the one with 4 chevrons. Cadet chevrons are noted for the verticle tie on each side. Now as to what military school used them, I have NO idea. (They do look really neat tho! :thumbsup: )