Getting rid of moth ball stench

peterfett

I just received a tent pole and pegs and WOW do they stink of moth balls! How do I get rid of this stench from wood? These things smell worse than my grandma's closet. BLECH!!!

I just received a tent pole and pegs and WOW do they stink of moth balls! How do I get rid of this stench from wood? These things smell worse than my grandma's closet. BLECH!!!

Putting them outside where they can get bright sun for a few days can help a lot: I also dowse things with Farbreeze when I do that.

I was going to ask the same question...

I've done everything to this one khaki shirt... dowsed it with Febreeze, aired it out... I even put it with my laundry. BIG MISTAKE. Made everything smell like old cigarettes and moth balls.

I'm letting it air out again... maybe it'll go away?

I'd try airing it outside, on the deck, for an afternoon. A nice, clear, rainless afternoon...

I was going to ask the same question...

I've done everything to this one khaki shirt... dowsed it with Febreeze, aired it out... I even put it with my laundry. BIG MISTAKE. Made everything smell like old cigarettes and moth balls.

I'm letting it air out again... maybe it'll go away?

Sorry, Peterfett-that's how I store all my stuff-in big plastic tubs with some mothballs in the bottom. With all the wool I have around here, moths are a constant worry (Along with my uniforms, I have a very large collection of vintage Pendleton shirts,and other vintage American-made wool shirts). I honestly didn't even notice any smell when I packed that stuff up :w00t:

One time I bought a 55 gallong drum full of WWII and Vietnam era uniforms, and they were covered in moth balls (seriously, someone must have dumped a couple hundred in that drum). I hung them outside, and it took about 4 and half weeks, but the smell eventually went away.

suwanneetrader

My wife won't even go in my hobby room because of the mothball smell (I barely notice it).. I started using them 40 - 50 years ago when I had 100's of ref books some very old even then and silver fish loved to eat them. After keeping mothballs in back of the books on the wooden shelves no more problem (except if I forgot to replace them every 4 months or so.). About 10 years ago I started buying a few WWI and WWII uniforms most are wool. I put them in the suit storage bags from Wallmart or Target, etc. with mothballs in bottom of bag and in the pockets. So Far seems to be working even tho wife gets silverfish damage to paperback novels she has on shelves in garage with no mothball, cedar or anything. I did find that putting mothballs in display cabinets with 100 + year old American Indian items (my wife is Ojibwe, she has some family items and we also used to collect quite a bit of it) is a bad idea if cabinet contains 1700 - 1800 era trade beads as the Naphtha in Mothballs wii cause them to crack and brake apart also any very old feathers will dry out even more. I also never put them close to leather or guns or knives. So using Mothballs is good and bad. But I have never bought a early cloth item that the Vet, etc has always kept with mothballs to be damaged but have seen insect damage when kept in a cedarchest. Richard

This topic reminds me of the joke. Ask someone if they have ever smelled moth balls. When they say yes. You ask how they got their nose between the moths little legs.

Bob

Putting them outside where they can get bright sun for a few days can help a lot: I also dowse things with Farbreeze when I do that.

A couple of days in direct sun on the porch did the trick. No more stench :thumbsup: