M1909 Benet-Mercier .30 Machine Rifle

Brian Keith

Charlie Flick

Brian:

What a beautiful example of the Benet-Mercie! And excellent photos to boot. Thank you for posting them. The details are great.

May I ask if this gun is in a public museum and, if so, where it is located?

Thanks again for helping to illuminate this subject.

Regards,

Charlie

Good Evening,

Yes, it is a public museum, the Museum of the Soldier, Inc., located in Portland, Indiana. We are an all volunteer museum so have limited hours. Generally, the first full and third weekends of the month, noon to five PM. Other hours by appointment.

We are closed during the winter months. We will reopen the first weekend of April of '08. I live just down the street a few yards and would be very pleased to provide a personal tour if the museum if I can, best to e-mail me to arrange it. I am a founding board member and have a little more influence on and about the exhibits. I am able to get interested visitors "up close and personal" to artifacts.

This example is really nice, (although it needs a really good cleaning). I would like to find a front hand guard but it probably wouldn't be easy. Other accessories would be nice also!

Glad you enjoyed the snapshots! We have a bunch of snow outside now! My photo studio is disassembled right now.

BKW

• 1 month later...
US Victory Museum

I love the old world craftsmanship of steel that has been turned and milled.

I am cognizant of the cost, time, and skill necessary to produce such items

when vast quantities are required quickly; however, a Grease gun will

always look like a polished turd when placed adjacent to a 1928 Thompson,

or an MG42 when placed next to an MG34.

The Benet-Mercier 1909 is a weapon as art, or visa-versa.

POST MORE PHOTOS!

Thank you.

Coolman, I'm not sure what you mean by your comment. I know Imperial Japan copied many models of machine guns, but not this one that I am aware of.

US Victory Museum, I agree with you, except, I don't think the "grease gun" is even polished! But, I still want one of the "Guide" made ones! They were made in Anderson, Indiana, about 50 miles from us. I probably won't do any more photo's till it warms up. Is there something specific you would like to see? I do hope to find a front hand guard some day.

We have a couple of Marlin made Colt-Browning Machine Guns Model 1895/1904 in 30-06. A Savage made Lewis Gun (made for Canada in .303); A French Chauchat Automatic Rifle Model 1915 in 8mm; a French Hotchkiss Machine Gun Model 1914; and a WW I Imperial German Maxim 7.92 MG08/15 Light Machine Gun. These guns are on loan from another museum that was not displaying them for now. We also have a Polish made DShK 1938/46 Heavy Machine Gun on an original Chinese mount for their Type 54. The mount was captured in Vietnam and brought back to the states as a war trophy. OOPs, this is a US site! The US used the Hotchkiss, the Chauchat and Lewis guns, we work with the Afghan National Army and they have the DShK's.

BKW

Brian, those are excellent photos! thanks for sharing. When it warms up outside for you I'd like to see some photos of that Lewis gun. Great stuff!

OK, I'll try to remember to do that this spring. I was just reading about the Marines in WW I who had to turn in their Lewis guns for Chauchats. The Lewis guns they turned in, were then adapted for aircraft use.

BKW

• 3 weeks later...

Brian:

Thank you for your photos of the Benet Mercie. I am making a poor man's version from a Hotchkiss portative for a living history display. The basis is an original BM stock that fits rather well, requriing only minor mods to attach although more extensive mods are needed to make it look more authentic. I have already made a passable bipod. The details in your shots are superb. IMA has Hotchkiss portative parts sets, the forarm should be the same or very close except for those

hooks that the bipod hangs on. Of course the price of a parts set would be prohibitive just to get the forearm, but maybe someone at IMA would be sympathetic. The knulred barrel looks impossible to replicate, but I have been told that I could make a forward portion of the barrel from scratch and a machine shop could come close to duplicating the knurling.

I have access to some portative barrels so I might try that (I am going to use one to provide the seven extra fins to replace the trunions, altough I would prefer an original barrel in any condition and I am on the lookout for BM parts including a rear sight, and hardware for the stock, including the rear elevating mechanizm that actually can be replicated relatively easily as bar stock with ACME threads is still available.

If possible could you do a close up shot of the catch at the bottom of the stock and the buttplate? If I run across a forearm I will immediately contact you. Mine does not rate an original forearm but yours does.

Once again, thanks for the great pics.

Al

[email protected]

OK, to clarify, do you mean under the butt stock, where the adjustable stand attached when in the carrying position?

Yes, I do know about the IMA kits, but you are correct about the cost.

Glad the photos are of help to you on your build.

I'll try to get some Lewis shots up also.

BKW

Guest hoodoo
OK, to clarify, do you mean under the butt stock, where the adjustable stand attached when in the carrying position?

Yes, I do know about the IMA kits, but you are correct about the cost.

Glad the photos are of help to you on your build.

I'll try to get some Lewis shots up also.

BKW

Yes. And the buttstock also. Have to fabricate those from scratch and the manual isn't detailed enough in terms of close up shots. I know I am asking too much, but could an underside picture also be taken of the grip area?

AL

• 3 weeks later...