What are these?

dutchbarge

these are interesting pieces, often seen pinback, seldom screwback. Have heard them argued as both officer and enlisted, generally accepted as 1920s but some believe WWI era/ Hopefully another EGA guy chimes in with more, sorry I can't offer too much

teufelhunde.ret
sorry I can't offer too much

Good to see you! Hope all is going well...

Sadly the pic's do not provide much detail, I agree in with Brig in premise. From time to time have seen some period pic's (pre - post WW1) that hold a strong resemblance to these. However cannot be absolutely positive, looking at black/brown emblems on the green uniform background is difficult at best to ascertain details. Based upon a few details of the front and the reverse - the type of molded configuration - I think they may have been a product of the Art Metal Co. They made allot of USMC "stuff" in the era.... It would be great to have pic's w/ good details!

usmcaviator

I agree with Tim, these are scarce. I know these were worn by Marine officers, I have photos of them in wear in the mid 1920's. The interesting thing is that they appear to have been made for enlisted Marines, as the dress version are all gold, however these are much too large for enlisted emblems. They are larger than most officer emblems as well. These facts probably made these not very popular with officer or enlisted.

Darrell's conjecture about them being Art Metal makes sense, they look it. I think that the dies were used during later (WW2?) for many sweetheart pieces as a plethora of singles in sterling, nickle, brass, gold plate, silver plate, can be found with various methods of attachment...prong, pin, tab, and screw. These various singles can also be painted or encrusted with fake jewels or with hanging attachments.

S/F,

Mike